Walibi Holland Discussion Thread

P. 106 - Untamed POV Video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Re: Walibi Holland Discussion Thread

Postby DBru » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:29 pm

I LOVE the theming on this ride (which is something I can’t say about the rest of the park :lol: ), especially the incorporation of old parts of Robin Hood. It looks fantastic!

Hopefully those lines die down quickly...like, very quickly. Lol

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Hermanus » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 pm

I was lucky enough to have a day off and spend it in Walibi for the opening of Untamed. Now, before I start I am not a huge fan of Walibi. Although the park has two very good coasters (Goliath and Lost Gravity) the park doesn't offer enough other interesting rides for me to really make it a go to destination. But I have to give credit where credit is due, the new area looks amazing! The way the park re-themed everything and made it all fit together is amazing. I'm a huge sucker for classic themed zones (medieval), but they really gave the new area a modern and fresh look. Kudo's for that!

Now, to the coaster itself. Untamed is my second RMC after Wildfire and I'm a huge fan of that ride (my number one right after Taron and Helix). So I was looking forward to this ride a bit to much. It was a let down that the ride didn't open to the public before 15:00, but they more than made up for that by keeping the queue open till 19:00. In the end we managed to get four rides of which three were backseat and one in the front.

The ride starts with the 45 degrees outward banked turn and is followed by the, little slowish, elevator. It speeds up at the end though. It feels like the opposite of the POV's of the Iron Rattler, which slows down at the top. The first drop is amazing backseat. It is very steep for such a relative low drop and gives amazing airtime in the back.

The 270 degrees double roll thingy is now that forcefull, but it feels weird and amazing. I sort of compare it to the zero-g-stall of wildfire in terms of vertical G's but with a lot more twist added. Really amazing. After that the airtime starts to kick in. The double up give two very good pops followed by a nice dive down and two more ejector hills. This park is awesome for the airtime fan! The turn around is equally awesome due to the way it twists away at the end.

The double-up-double-down is more of the same, but has smaller yet still very strong pops of air all over. This goes for the whole train, so even the backseats has airtime all over the place. The stall that follows is small but has a great flow into the next turn. It also gives a nice short feeling of weightlessness. What follows is a series of small yet very poppy airtime hills and some small turns. The ending is the icing on the cake. Unlike the roll on Wildfire this one doesn't really throw you around. It's very straight and long and has a very constant roll rate. This combined with the low to the groundness and the supports everywhere gives very nice feeling. The hangtime is amazing together with the looks. The ride finishes with a small dip which gives a nice pop of air and some air going into the brakes.

I'm not sure if this is my favorite coaster at the moment and honestly don't really care. Untamed does a lot of things and it does it very well. If I have to compare it to Wildfire it has more moments of airtime and a better variation in the elements. It misses out on the larger elements, but the amount of airtime and good twists more than make up for it. This is a must ride! I love what Walibi did with this woody and I cannot express how impressed I am with what they did.

On a side note, kudo's to the operations! They were lightning fast. Most of the time the train was already out of the station before the second was in the brakes! The queue was moving constantly and the operators are to thank for that. Walibi chose to have the operators close the restraint and use four operators since the restraints are very heavy (as are all RMC's I've heard). Great great job Walibi!

To finish my review I have some pictures of my Untamed day!

Since we weren't allowed in yet we might as well take a look from above.

We were halfway the queue I think. Sidenote, it only took us 55 minutes to get on the first ride!

And there is Robin Hood, or what's left of it. Great way to show appreciation for the old ride!

Look at that first drop, it's amazing!

Ten years ago I would vote this turn down in Nolimits so hard, now I just want more of it.

And to finish with this very nice photo spot!

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby gardyloo! » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:47 pm

JordyC wrote:^When you have Fast Lane, they let you pick your seat.

Have a great time!

They also grant requests in the normal line right?

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:00 pm

What exactly is the theme!? I'm slightly confused! Untamed Love?!!?

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:04 pm

LOL, agreed. Everyone keeps saying the Theming is amazing...and all I see is grass! Maybe, it's the best grass ever planted...

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:22 pm

Guys, everything is relative...

5BCA587B-46CA-401B-A105-10A712E3EFD1.jpeg

:lol:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Great review! I'm glad you "love" the ride.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:11 pm

SharkTums wrote:What exactly is the theme!? I'm slightly confused! Untamed Love?!!?

COASTER FREAK 11 wrote:LOL, agreed. Everyone keeps saying the Theming is amazing...and all I see is grass! Maybe, it's the best grass ever planted...

To me it looks like nature taking back / taking over a land previously occupied by people. Lots of regular old architecture covered in overgrowth. The best example I can think of is how Aska at Nara Dreamland looked after a few years of abandonment, but actually habitable instead of completely abandoned.

I'm actually really into the theming of that area, apart from the obvious Instagram-cringe stuff.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby JordyC » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:02 pm

gardyloo! wrote:
JordyC wrote:^When you have Fast Lane, they let you pick your seat.

Have a great time!

They also grant requests in the normal line right?

Most of the time, yes. Unless Fast Lane goes for the row you want.
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Taiga - Linnanmäki 4. Untamed - Walibi Holland 5. Shambhala - PortAventura 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Taron - Phantasialand 8. Helix - Liseberg 9. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 10. iSpeed - Mirabilandia

Coasters: 291 || Parks: 55

Parc Astérix || Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:01 am

I appreciate the effort they made to retain a few elements of Robin Hood... Other than that, the theming seems a little underwhelming if not disjointed. I don't quite understand why random LOVE signs have been thrown around the coaster including on the most picturesque element of the coaster's structure.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!