TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Great report Steve! Maxx Force looks like a blast and that launch looks EPIC!

I’m still not sure about considering that final element to be two inversions, but hey, if Six Flags keeps building new custom ground-up coasters, I’ll call them whatever they want.

Does that little hop right after the launch give any airtime?

I know people are complaining about the length of the ride and I get it. I typically don't judge anything before I experience it first hand, but I think I'd rather take Maxx Force any day over a small coaster like a Skyrocket 2 that people always seem to rave about or firmly defend. I like the idea of 20 Seconds of pure speed and craziness vs. my mixed experiences of uncomfortable hang time barrel rolls. I'm a fan of turns. I'd be a lot more willing to stand in line for an hour (lol year right) for Maxx Force vs. a Skyrocket 2.

I was really not sure how I felt about this ride, I was afraid the air hill would be nothing, the roll SO fast you may not notice and given its very short length, perhaps a lackluster ride (obvs the launch is epic, Hypersonic XLC was still one of the most intense experiences Ive had) but I feel somewhat higher on this ride now. The air hill does seem lacking (confirm?) but if the ride is intense, as it seems to be, it will make up for the shortcomings.

Regardless Ill be out here in 2020 as part of a great northern trip!

I was afraid the air hill would be nothing

I'm curious about these little high-speed, low-to-the-ground hills that have been popping up as of late (RMC seems to use them a lot). They don't seem to have much of an effect when you pass over them, but they seem to intensify whatever upwards-facing element follows. I can't imagine that this one's noticeable at all. The ones at the bottom of Twisted Colossus' first drop barely even register, yet the double down on Hang Time totally yanks your seat out from under you.

Any guesses as to whether they're going to allow the Skip the line passes that some membership levels get on Maxx Force?

I'm hearing they will not be allowing the Skip the Line passes and will be posting signage regarding that. However, they don't know how long the restriction will be in effect as it will depend on crowd levels.

Great report! This looks like a great ride, and I don't know why everyone gives it so much flak while raving about Dragster / Kingda Ka / Xcelerator. It's a short ride, but I'd take a short coaster with a kickass launch over a longer coaster with a mediocre launch.

The ride was open tonight to passholders so I got to try it for the first time!

Here are my "enthusiast" thoughts on Maxx Force...

- The launch is AWESOME! Definitely what I expected! And soaring up into the first element is really cool.

- The ride is VERY smooth, though maybe it's too smooth

- After the first element, the ride was fast and smooth but not all that thrilling. I didn't feel any force in them and I was expecting to get thrown around a bit in the inversions but I didn't feel any whip at all. Though I didn't ride in the very front so that probably had something to do with it.

- The ride may be short and it feels shorter than a ride like Goliath but it does feel a bit longer than the 20 seconds it is which is good.

- The ride broke down twice through the 90 minute wait, and it was only open to passholders. Hopefully some of the bugs are found and fixed early on so the lines move quickly.

- There were some guys from S&S there inspecting the ride and how it performed which was totally cool! I had a bit of a nerd moment.

Overall, the ride is going to be a huge hit with the public. They'll line up for hours to give the record-breaking launch a try and that's great! As an enthusiast I definitely liked it but I probably wouldn't wait longer than 90 minutes for it. However, do note that I both didn't ride in the front and this is only the second day it's ever operated with people so it still has some time to warm up and I can still re-ride it!

Overall rating: 8/10, my #3 coaster in the park behind Goliath and Batman

Some photos I took...

20190703_183607.thumb.jpg.6d237a0f7698d01e5d5ab528eeacd421.jpg

Maxx Force REALLY adds to the park skyline! You can see it as far back as Raging Bull and Giant Drop on the interstate!

20190703_191933.thumb.jpg.58cfb99d2f394e207c915090bc1ae508.jpg

Being at the front of the park, it also adds to the Hurricane Harbor backdrop with Viper and Raging Bull.

20190703_192208.thumb.jpg.448da911190503bf7cfae775364bcd26.jpg

My dad and I (thanks for taking me, dad!) were some of the later riders so we waited a total of 90 minutes with other passholders. The line will never be this short the rest of the season with the GP so I'm glad I rode it today!

20190703_192530.thumb.jpg.93be2db76263fadc083a5beda35f5d90.jpg

Everyone anxiously awaits the record-breaking launch...

20190703_192711.thumb.jpg.14a392092b6e50d53d117c7bec92561b.jpg

Overall I really liked the ride! It didn't blow me away, but it was fun and I came back smiling so I'd say Six Flags has a winner!

20190703_195014.thumb.jpg.a7480e6e0a502114375f4998ea777989.jpg

Here's a panorama view from the queue. My favorite photo op from waiting was when Raging Bull hit the turnaround at the same time Maxx Force hit the first inversion. Sadly I never had my phone out when this happened but I saw it which was still cool!

20190703_195259.thumb.jpg.3de32d99245927989977cea854bc34f8.jpg

Here's the famous barrel roll that broke the record for the fastest inversion in the world! 60 mph the whole way through!

20190703_195910.thumb.jpg.d493160cc95ea0042d2ed6872e8ca821.jpg

Some joy, some fear, some hands up, some holding on for dear life... how will YOU ride Maxx Force?

20190703_203517.thumb.jpg.54671d61c08edeb97b673e109792411d.jpg

This inversion combo was my favorite part of the ride! Hitting it with all that speed was awesome, all the hangtime is awesome, and the views you get of the park are so unique!

20190703_203524.thumb.jpg.4a9b9f6cde97f984d0f0e96ba304fa9f.jpg

By the time it was our turn to ride, it was dark out which made the launch all the more fun. Overall I had a great time at the park tonight and I wish them the best with the public opening tomorrow!

I was fortunate enough to grab a ride on Maxx Force today as well. I waited about 2 and 1/2 hours (Still 2 hours shorter than my first wait for Goliath) and have no regrets. The ride was amazing! Yes, it's short, but it packs in so much in such a short amount of time. Like most, the launch is my favorite part of the ride. I feel like people have always claimed that while SFGAm has a fairly well-rounded line-up, the park lacks in intense coasters. It's safe to say that is no longer the case. I would love to ride this thing over and over if the line wouldn't be so long. I will say though, for a coaster with not very good capacity the line seemed to move at an acceptable pace once in the switchbacks. My only gripe with the ride is that you're not allowed to put your hands up on the launch.

Also, I love the huge boom the air compressors make, it really adds to the excitement while waiting in line. I know most people find the alarm before the launch a little annoying, but I actually like it. This might sound dumb but I feel like it gives the coaster kind of a "sketchy" feel since the same alarm plays on the air launch coasters in China with the really funky banked turns and such.

Super happy to have this ride at my homepark. I can't wait to ride again!

Great report Steve! Maxx Force looks like a blast and that launch looks EPIC!

Does that little hop right after the launch give any airtime?

I was wondering the same thing.

and agreed, great report Steve. thanks for sharing.

My only gripe with the ride is that you're not allowed to put your hands up on the launch.

Huh? I can see them maybe not launching it until all arms are down but what is going to stop anyone from putting them up after the all clear/launch? I can't see how that can be enforced in any way shape or form. Unless I'm missing something.

It's probably not a good idea due to the forces, but, I'd imagine lots of people would do it. It's not any different from any other ride where they advise you to keep your arms inside the train at all times. Right? As soon as the launch starts on Dragster, everyone throws their hands up I can't see how this would be any different unless security is waiting at the exit and kicking people out, lol.

You're right that they're probably not going to do anything about it, but they seemed to be strongly discouraging it, telling people to keep their hands down on the launch while coming by to check restraints. On the cycle right before mine, a dude put his hands up a few seconds before the launch and an op went on the microphone telling him to put them down. He seemed to have gotten away with it though as they launched the train.

Who knows, maybe they are only saying it in case the fingerprint scanner lady comes back to the park and decides to file a lawsuit because her son hurt his arms on the launch

You're right that they're probably not going to do anything about it, but they seemed to be strongly discouraging it, telling people to keep their hands down on the launch while coming by to check restraints. On the cycle right before mine, a dude put his hands up a few seconds before the launch and an op went on the microphone telling him to put them down. He seemed to have gotten away with it though as they launched the train.

Who knows, maybe they are only saying it in case the fingerprint scanner lady comes back to the park and decides to file a lawsuit because her son hurt his arms on the launch

At Cedar Point for Top Thrill Dragster they have a recording the operator triggers that says "arms down" while you're waiting for launch. Some operators keep playing it until everyone puts their arms down, others don't. I haven't seen anyone's arms fly off yet.