TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

Steel Hawg (because Indiana) is very smooth and a lot of fun. If you haven't been on an S&S El Loco, go. The others I would consider tolerable but I also consider Boss tolerable, so don't take my word for it.

Oh and they make those tacos with ketchup. I'm not shedding a tear as long as they don't touch Fascination.

Are any of the coasters tolerable, or are they all rough?

Steel Hawg was perfectly smooth.

Cornball Express was pretty darn smooth and an awesome coaster. It had some outstanding airtime, especially with the buzzbar only trains.

Hoosier Hurricane is pretty bumpy at points but not what I'd call painful.

Lost Coaster is very rough, but the trains are well padded and I feel like it helps make the coaster more of an experience.

I don't think there's ketchup in the hot sauce, but can't say for sure. I never cared for them all that much, but they do have a following of sorts.

They are definitely leaving the park at the end of the year, and that's permanent. I think the owners may try to open up a shop in town, but they haven't announced that at all.

Are any of the coasters tolerable, or are they all rough?

Steel Hawg was perfectly smooth.

Cornball Express was pretty darn smooth and an awesome coaster. It had some outstanding airtime, especially with the buzzbar only trains.

Hoosier Hurricane is pretty bumpy at points but not what I'd call painful.

Lost Coaster is very rough, but the trains are well padded and I feel like it helps make the coaster more of an experience.

You forgot Tig'rr, which is smooth and a fun ride when it is running.

Otherwise I agree with these assessments. Lost Coaster is such a unique ride.

For those who care about this park, or the food within, The Taco Shoppe (which has always been an independent contractor renting space from the park owners) has announced this will be their last season at Indiana Beach. Future plans for an alternate location are not yet determined.

Wow. That was on the highlights* of a trip to IB, even when the park was awesome. Bummer. But good for them to take their business elsewhere. IB has gone from one of my top 5 parks to one I no longer will visit. I started going to the park in 1990 and stopped my 2-3 yearly visits a couple years ago. It's so sad to see a once superb park run into the ground like that.

*Yes, these strange tacos where no the best thing in the world, but still very good for park food. They used that crumbled Mexican cheese (queso fresco?) and had a yummy red sauce on top. Even if that was ketchup, it was good!

I follow this park on FB and I have to say I'm getting pretty tempted to take a trip there. Seems like they're really trying. It's only four hours away. It looks quirky AF and they push their roof top bar area like nobody's business. Are any of the coasters tolerable, or are they all rough?

Yeah I don't have any compaints about roughness with this park, their wooden coasters are sweet (lost coaster was closed when I was there, so I can't comment). That on top of the drop tower with maybe the strongest airtime I've ever felt, Fascination, good and cheap food (for a park), and all the flats over the water makes this an awesome park. I'd definitely recommend stopping in - it's not a big park but it's a lot of fun (I actually visited before they got bought out, and I imagine it has only improved since)

• 11 months later...

Sadly, a 12 year old boy died after riding Hoosier Hurricane. It appears a pre-existing medical condition caused him to lose consciousness during the ride.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-12-year-old-indiana-boy-died-on-roller-coaster-20190629-fupcs452rfgavaezbgduxamzve-story.html

12-year-old Indiana boy dies after riding roller coaster

By Blake Alsup

| New York Daily News |

Jun 28, 2019 | 9:26 PM

A 12-year-old Indiana boy died after suffering a “medical emergency” while riding the Hoosier Hurricane roller coaster at the Indiana Beach amusement park on Thursday.

White County Coroner Anthony Deibel identified the boy as Brayden Cooper of Lafayette, Ind.

He was unresponsive after the ride, but breathing when paramedics arrived around 4:25 p.m. on Thursday. They performed CPR and rushed him to a local hospital where he died, the Lafayette Journal & Courier reported.

An autopsy was scheduled for Friday afternoon, but officials already said Brayden’s death was not caused by an accident or ride malfunction at the park. It’s believed that he died due to a preexisting medical condition.

So I made a surprise visit to the park yesterday with a friend who has never been there and overall I say he had a good time. We pretty much rode every single ride since the park wasn’t busy at all and every major ride was open. I don’t know if this has mentioned yet but Double Shot unfortunately has a lap seat belt now that doesn’t totally kill the airtime but certainly has an effects it. So overall this was much better than my visit to the park two years ago.

I wish I could get behind the hype of S&S Double Shot towers. It's all over in about ten seconds. At least with drop towers you get the suspense and anticipation as you're slowly raised to the top. You also get a nice view. That's just me.

^ What about the one at Holiday World? I was at the HW on June 22nd but didn’t get a chance to ride their S&S tower.

Holiday World swapped out their hydraulic restraints for ratcheting restraints. I’m guessing S&S gave parks the option to either add the lap seatbelts or switch out the shoulder harnesses.

I wish I could get behind the hype of S&S Double Shot towers. It's all over in about ten seconds. At least with drop towers you get the suspense and anticipation as you're slowly raised to the top. You also get a nice view. That's just me.

I honestly don’t know why I enjoy the Double Shot at IB. Maybe it’s just because you get some good airtime launching up. However I will agree with Canobie Coaster that the Larson Towers are better.

^ What about the one at Holiday World? I was at the HW on June 22nd but didn’t get a chance to ride their S&S tower.

Holiday World swapped out their hydraulic restraints for ratcheting restraints. I’m guessing S&S gave parks the option to either add the lap seatbelts or switch out the shoulder harnesses.

Supreme Scream at Knott’s also has ratcheting restraints now, but no lap belts.

• 6 months later...

So.. not to cause a big scare, but 2020 season passes and day tickets are not able to be purchased on the website now. Passes were available before the holidays, but not anymore. Best case scenario this is a peculiar inconvenience and worse case scenario this is very concerning.

Edit: And according to the website for Martins Fantasy Island, 2020 season passes have "sold out", I have never ever ever heard of that in the amusement industry, usually the objective is to sell as many as possible as park capacity is not a precious commodity. Again, either very suspicious or I am very skeptical of how this (not selling season passes online a few months before the park opens) could be beneficial to profitably run an amusement park.

Has the new Larson Loop Roller Coaster been installed yet? Im pretty sure they come almost fully assembled on a flat bed. Cant wait for the reviews. Will TPR be there for opening day? Love to get me some ERT on that sonofabitch. Sucker gotta be going 70mph hour to hit that loop over and over.

Has the new Larson Loop Roller Coaster been installed yet? Im pretty sur

e they come almost fully assembled on a flat bed. Cant wait for the reviews. Will TPR be there for opening day? Love to get me some ERT on that sonofabitch. Sucker gotta be going 70mph hour to hit that loop over and over.

Im pretty sure fireball opened in 2016

Edit: When I visited the park in 2016 they had a trailer based larson loop. On one side it side fire ball and the other side said Zero G. So i'm not positive on the name lol

• 2 weeks later...
So.. not to cause a big scare, but 2020 season passes and day tickets are not able to be purchased on the website now. Passes were available before the holidays, but not anymore. Best case scenario this is a peculiar inconvenience and worse case scenario this is very concerning.

Edit: And according to the website for Martins Fantasy Island, 2020 season passes have "sold out", I have never ever ever heard of that in the amusement industry, usually the objective is to sell as many as possible as park capacity is not a precious commodity. Again, either very suspicious or I am very skeptical of how this (not selling season passes online a few months before the park opens) could be beneficial to profitably run an amusement park.

WLFI in West Lafayette, IN is reporting this afternoon that they have confirmed Indiana Beach has closed after 94 years in operation. It's a sad day for those of us that grew up here seeing the old Indiana Beach commercials with the crow "Proving once again there is more than corn in Indiana." I can still sing the jingle, too!

It has been confirmed that after 94 years Indiana Beach will close permanently. Apex Parks has confirmed that the park is closing for financial reasons and has failed to find a buyer. More details are expected sooner related to what will happen to the property, assets, employees and existing season pass memberships.

ib121_0.jpg.5b3a44732d61a57e6f89775443a47c0e.jpg

https://www.wlfi.com/templates/AMP?contentID=567980101#click=https://t.co/Ei38BmWrkD

Indiana Beach is closing for good on Tuesday. White County Economic Development Director Randy Mitchell confirmed that Apex Parks Group decided to close Indiana Beach after a search for buyers ended unsuccessfully. Apex Parks Senior Vice President Gregg Borman told Mitchell the closure was strictly for financial reasons.

Mitchell said Apex Parks will send out a press release in the coming weeks that will layout plans for the season ticket holders, rides, employees, and the campground.

Indiana Beach still has 27 employees, 15 in maintenance and 12 in administrative roles. The future of their employment is uncertain, according to Mitchell. Mitchell also said Apex Parks closed three other amusement parks.

WLFI will have more information as it becomes available.

The lakeside resort was opened by the Spackman family. In 2008 they sold the park to Morgan RV Resorts. On September 1, 2015, it was announced that the park had been sold to Apex Parks Group.

In 2019 a twelve-year-old boy died after suffering a medical emergency on a roller coaster at the park. Investigators determined it was not caused by Indiana Beach or the ride.

https://www.wthr.com/article/indiana-beach-close-after-94-years

It’s the end of an era for one of Indiana’s oldest amusement parks.

Indiana Beach in Monticello has closed with no plan to reopen, according to Randy Mitchell, President of the White County Economic Development corporation.

Mitchell said the park’s parent company, California-based Apex Parks, cited financial reasons for the closure. According to Mitchell, the company had “worked diligently” to find a new buyer but wasn’t successful.

In addition to dozens of seasonal workers, Indiana Beach employed 27 people in administrative and maintenance positions. Mitchell said those workers were offered six weeks compensation.

Indiana Beach opened in 1926 and had become an iconic landmark along Lake Shafer in north central Indiana.

Here are the TPR Filmed POV's from the Indiana Beach Coasters:

With the Indiana Beach and Fantasy Island closing announcements today I figured some of you may want to see the POV's of the coasters. Here you go!

Steel Hawg

Cornball Express

Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain

Hoosier Hurricane

Edited by SharkTums