TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

pov looks good (I won't mention the "short" component)

I never understood why rides like this one and YOLO disrupt and slow the final plunge into the station with braking. You have a built final drop already, why ruin it with braking?

Is it really that costly to design an extra 50 feet of ramp after the plunge for the braking ?

Is it really that costly to design an extra 50 feet of ramp after the plunge for the braking ?

I think the answer is yes. You're also going to have to have an extra 50 feet out and 50 feet back. That might require several extra support beams, concrete footers, and space.

I think the answer is yes. You're also going to have to have an extra 50 feet out and 50 feet back. That might require several extra support beams, concrete footers, and space.

understood - but it is likely the "cheapest" portion of the ride (essentially ground level). I appreciate the space issue, and braking on the downhill also serves to control speed, which also limits space needed for braking on the straight line section. Still.... most coasters have a straight-line braking section and with magnetic brakes, the space needed is comparatively minimal ....

That said, I haven't been on YOLO (or obviously this one), so maybe the braking doesn't really take away from the final plunge sensation?

understood - but it is likely the "cheapest" portion of the ride (essentially ground level). I appreciate the space issue, and braking on the downhill also serves to control speed, which also limits space needed for braking on the straight line section. Still.... most coasters have a straight-line braking section and with magnetic brakes, the space needed is comparatively minimal ....

That said, I haven't been on YOLO (or obviously this one), so maybe the braking doesn't really take away from the final plunge sensation?

Every little bit of money counts, especially if you look at it from a chain-wide perspective. Pushing the brake run 50 feet forward won't make any difference to people who don't spend time cruising roller coaster forums. The people who will call this roller coaster too short will still do so regardless of a little less brake run.

July 3rd can't come soon enough! (Assuming that is the preview day for members/pass holders)

Can anyone confirm this as the date? My dad and I are planning to go but only if we can ride Maxx Force.

I'm sure if they get enough recommendations in their guest surveys they'll build a 2nd lap in the off season. By build in the off season I specifically am talking about April, May, June 2020.

Maybe they’ll send YOLOcoaster from SFMM and Maxx Force to SFA and duct tape the two coasters together, call it Racing Coaster 1, and build bathrooms themed to it!

I’d be cool with that.

Hello all,

It's time for me to ask the questions everyone loves... I'm going to be going to the Summerfest music festival in Milwaukee this holiday weekend and wanted to get the opinions of some SFGAm regulars!

The typical stuff: I was planning on going on the 4th as I figured it may be less busy and there's not anyone I specifically want to see at the festival that day. The possibilities would be the 4th, 6th, or 7th. I guess part of the day on the 5th is a possibility too, but would prefer not to go that day unless you guys think it will be the best day to go.

What rides should I hit early to avoid lines? Any favorite or least favorite seat recommendations would be welcome as well.

I think it's been like 20 years since I've been to this park, so I'm excited to say the least. Raging Bull was the new hotness last time I was here, so I'm excited to check all the new stuff out!

Thanks in advance for any guidance you guys can provide!

Dave

For what it's worth, I've visited the park on July 5th the past 3 seasons straight and crowds have been fairly light each time. (Probably due to everyone requesting off the day before). I've heard mixed reports that the 4th of July is either extremely crowded or really dead, but I've never been on that date myself so can't comment. The 6th and 7th are on the weekend and seem to have the better forecasts as of now, so keep that in mind

Maxx Force is opening on July 4th so if you want to ride it and not wait 4 hours I'd recommend getting to the park before opening and running to it as soon as you get in the park. You will probably encounter some less than desirable enthusiasts, just be aware This is assuming you aren't getting a flash pass of course, which I believe you can get one ride on Maxx with a platinum level pass. They're closing the line at 8PM for the member preview on the 3rd so don't be surprised if they do the same on the official opening.

Going on the first few days of Maxx Force's opening might actually work in your favor. I went to the park the day after Goliath opened and all other rides had significantly shorter lines than usual so maybe the same thing will happen here?

As for seat recommendations, ride Demon in the back car. The first drop is surprisingly great back there

As for seat recommendations, ride Demon in the back car. The first drop is surprisingly great back there

I'll would piggy back on that with the detail of 2nd to last seat (front seat of last car). It's more leg room, more viewing room and smoother. One of the last "snapping drops" in existence (Bill Cobb did these his Cyclones). Note: this drop was redone on the California Demon in the 90s; Paramount thought it was too extreme. So West Coast Demon has a 45 degree drop while ours retains the 55 degree drop with snap built in 1980. Thank you Arrow for making mistakes.

Theme Park Review was invited to the Maxx Force Media Day event today (July 2nd) for some exclusive rides on Six Flags Great America's latest and greatest coaster. Maxx Force is a one of a kind thrill machine that uses air-powered technology to launch to launch riders from 0-78 MPH in less than 2 seconds! Maxx Force also has the tallest double inversion, and the fastest inversion on the planet.

"Maxx Force is absolutely revolutionary, taking Six Flags innovation to an all new level of extreme," said Six Flags Great America President Hank Salemi.

Maxx Force Highlights Include:

* A unique air-powered launch system propels guest forward at record speed.

* The worlds Tallest Double inversion at 175 feet above the ground.

* The fastest inversion on any roller coaster in the world with a 60MPH zero-G roll.

* Five high speed inversions.

* A one of a kind custom train modeled after Formula One racing cars.

The media day event was an early start, as I pulled into the parking lot as the sun was coming up. When entering the park you received a Great America Swag bag with SIx Flags sun glasses, and a mini race car similar to the Maxx Force trains. There were many local Chicago and Milwaukee television stations there to film live on ride broadcasts while on the coaster. Marcus Leshock a fellow coaster enthusiast from WGN channel 9 was there and got 3 on air filming sessions that played throughout the morning. I was able to get five rides this morning and they were all pretty amazing.

The launch on Maxx Force is one of the strongest I have ever experienced, and I have been on TTD, Kingda Ka, and Dododonpa! But unlike those launch coasters this ride has a lot of other amazing elements to compliment the launch. The Zero G roll is so amazing and at 60 miles per hour is super fast. The 175 foot double inversion is also a great, and unique moment on Maxx Force. People will likely complain about the long lines for a 25 second ride, but anyone who loves coasters will have a blast on this ride.

While at the event I was able to talk with many of the people responsible for creating the ride and was able to learn a lot about the new S&S coaster! When Great America's train is back up and running next year it will go just under the tracks of Maxx Force making for an awesome view. The coaster also interacts nicely with Raging Bull, as they are very close to each other. Finally lets talk about the comfort of this ride. The seats are super comfortable and the ride itself is silky smooth. If you like rough coasters don't ride Maxx Force because it is one of the smoothest coasters I have ever been on.

Great America and S&S have hit a home run with this new coaster! It is a perfect addition to an already great coaster line up at Six Flags Great America.

sign.thumb.jpg.ecbe11351d63370120856e71ed4f0296.jpg

Maxx Force entrance sign at dawn!

badge.thumb.jpg.e264e92499e9d042cce253f394c2473b.jpg

Media Badge

toy.thumb.jpg.8cc07824b7ce15b55edfac71928ca91b.jpg

Maxx Force Toy from my swag bag!

saftey.thumb.jpg.148779674085da788a1a24ffda1b7e8f.jpg

Before you ride lets go over the basics. Btw you only new to be 48 inches to ride MAxx Force!

940140217_trainfrontview.thumb.jpg.08fed778f9729a7d56258512495b7fc0.jpg

Check out that super cool front end.

243046967_0G.thumb.jpg.1b8a09c94841323b4979aa2597876cf0.jpg

A close up on that intense 0 G role!

2031024279_175wheels.thumb.jpg.434611f6bc2289b8ef6d80b86ba04e91.jpg

The emergency wheels at the top of the 175 double inversion (this inversion i heard referred to as the dog tongue. They are not used unless the rare occurrence that the train gets stuck and needs a push.

drone.thumb.jpg.8914d00fbc5c6981b6d07d1e98b2f758.jpg

They were filming each ride today with a drone which was pretty cool to see!

208836012_harbor0g.thumb.jpg.9eeb46b185d02e2843e07c9212b583c4.jpg

Another view of the zero G roll as seen from the entrance to hurricane harbor.

1940289175_harborview.thumb.jpg.295c4c02833cffe64b68648063094216.jpg

A view of Maxx Force from Hurricane Harbor's entrance.

inversion.thumb.jpg.b1183dd92d968eacf9cfb2ce93c88453.jpg

The final inversion before the station.

609694608_launchview.thumb.jpg.560a724f560a16657fc1a969c5d6967c.jpg

The view from the station into the launch.

marcus.thumb.jpg.38e8683f6e4d345ac0bc09bff77ce7d8.jpg

Hanging out with Marcus Leshock from WGN Channel 9 a fellow coaster enthusiast.

1304037812_onride.thumb.jpg.940d96eba175ad327caa87c781ab6ff1.jpg

The launch made my face look like that, wow was that quick!

1372942922_rideandbull.thumb.jpg.d1ef7aaa2d4d436fb74afac67f24225d.jpg

A very close relationship with the 20 year old B&M Raging Bull.

ride.thumb.jpg.4707e46afc3743d8f5671a034877b9ad.jpg

A view of the track from the exit.

1201911300_trainatend.thumb.jpg.1b288fa2dff1a50ffcc66a3537697bb0.jpg

The train as it finishes it journey and returns to the station.

Edited by robbalvey