TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Insane Frisbee Accident in Uzbekistan...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One source is reporting the location is a fun fair (but it could just be a translation error).

I still will not ride anything at US carnivals and fun fairs, so I'm sure as sh!t not ride them in Uzbekistan.

Germany is the only place I trust temporary rides outside of amusement parks and it's probably irrational to try them also.

Uzbek.JPG.f29dbb9f0d7116eacf6212034e73d582.JPG

Reporting by The Sun as being a fun fair

wow!

it's kind of shocking only one person died, those injuries look serious for all.

the story from the Daily Mail (that Robb linked to) calls it an "Amusement Park" and has a pic of the main gates:

15407420-7195093-image-a-5_1561797720536.jpg

so it looks like it wasn't just a fun fair or carnival type set up.

Looks like it broke at one of the joints that would be fastened with big ol' honkin nuts and bolts. In an effort to cut costs they probably bought replacements that weren't rated properly and, well, this.

There are a surprising number of accidents in other countries and small carnivals that don't really get the coverage like this one did. There are always posts on "Amusement Ride Accidents" page on Facebook (not encouraging anyone to subscribe, or promoting -- they also sometimes have some pretty graphic stuff in there that nobody should have to see) from other countries and it always astounds me how many of these "knock off" rides exist and clearly aren't up to US standards. Unfortunately they are generally malfunctions and not user error, but it always amazes me how many end up on video and how often they happen around the world... relatively speaking. I'm not saying Amusement rides are unsafe by any means, but some places, I just wouldn't take the risk just looking at the rides. I feel very safe at parks here in the US and I know safety is taken very seriously. Sometimes when people say that seatbelts aren't needed because restraints are redundant as is, I don't mind taking the extra time and slower dispatches when I know they are just trying to be as safe as possible.

I'm not saying other places don't take safety seriously, too... I just haven't been to any countries outside Canada/US so I can't talk first hand about operations or procedures anywhere else like I can about the hundreds of coasters and rides I've been on and always felt safe on.

Yes, but not typically due to gross structural failure such as this, and not typically to such disastrous results. In fact, the only recent even similar incident that comes to mind was the one at the Ohio State Fair, but that was a traveling carnival, not a permanent amusement park such as this.

In fact, let's go. Here are all of the deaths or injuries incurred at US parks due to negligent maintenance or random structural failure (source: Wikipedia):

-1930, Krug Park, 4 deaths due to a loose bolt

-1998, Disneyland, death due to improper replacement of a rope

-1999, Gillian's Wonder Pier, 2 deaths due to faulty brakes

-2001, SFDK, minor injury due to improper replacement of a pneumatic valve

-2003, Disneyland, death due to a derailment due to improper maintenance.

-2007, Kentucky Kingdom, injury due to faulty cable

-2010, Trimper's Rides, 3 injuries due to a failed cable

-2011, Morey's Piers, 5 minor injuries due to a broken mast on a swinging ship

-2011, Storybook Land, 3 injuries due to structural failure

Should I even try to list all of the similar deaths or injuries at traveling carnivals or third-world parks?

Here are all of the deaths or injuries incurred at US parks due to negligent maintenance or random structural failure (source: Wikipedia)

Pretty sure the US isn't the only "first-world" country though, so I suspect the list of "first-world" accidents might actually be a tad longer.

Should I even try to list all of the similar deaths or injuries at traveling carnivals or third-world parks?

Given the above, I'd say no.

It's always very sad to hear about such accidents — no matter what country they occur in. One hopes that resources and regulations are upheld as much as possible to prevent instances of profit superseding human wellbeing.

These rides in foreign countries always seem so sketchy to me and I love me a frisbee. I'm no engineer but the center column that holds the "frisbee" looked barely strong enough to support one human alone, let alone a whole "frisbee" + riders...

Slightly off topic, I wonder if parks in earthquake zones have integrated warning systems that a seismic tremor is approaching. Japan has a warning network that can provide a minute, maybe less, maybe more, to enable things to be shut down, stop trains, etc. There is talk of setting up similar alert systems in California but I don't think they are operational yet. This might benefit Six Flags, Knotts, CGA (along with everyone else). I trust the maintenance on the frisbee at Six Flags Vallejo but they're not far from earthquake faults. If they had 45 seconds warning to shut down a frisbee that might be very helpful. Are there examples of coasters or other rides that have been operating when a big quake happened? I don't think the northern Japan earthquake in 2011 impacted any amusement parks and the 1995 quake in Kobe, Japan happened at night (or early morning) so this particular aspect wasn't an issue. Devastating for that city, thousands dead and lots of structures wrecked.

"Rust never sleeps."

^I think that question deserves to be it's own post

One source is reporting the location is a fun fair (but it could just be a translation error).

I still will not ride anything at US carnivals and fun fairs, so I'm sure as sh!t not ride them in Uzbekistan.

I'm curious as to why? At least in my state the carnivals are as safe as the parks, but I know regulations vary from state to state. I've always wonder what the incident rate at carnivals vs. permanent parks is but I haven't been able to find any info.

I'm curious as to why? At least in my state the carnivals are as safe as the parks, but I know regulations vary from state to state.

Because I do not believe they are regulated enough to be safe. Because I have met and talked to carnie owners and operators. Because I have read about too many carnival accidents. Because I can get the same thrills at an amusement park. Because it is more cost efficient to visit an amusement park.

• 2 weeks later...

Gee, what do you know, a similar ride also collapses killing 3, also in a third world country.

(Warning: Video in linked article which specifically mentions people getting killed may not be safe for those too stupid to realize a video in an article which specifically mentions people getting killed may contain footage of people getting killed.)

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/791883/video-theme-park-ride-collapase-india-ahmedabad-deaths

Edited by Mike240SX

Gee, what do you know, a similar ride also collapses killing 3, also in a third world country.

Yes, clearly you're elated so you can make your "third world" claim again.

For anyone else, do be warned that video that was posted above does indeed seem to show people coming out of the ride and the vehicle being smashed up. As was true with the last incident, it's very sad to hear about such tragedies — no matter where they occur.

^^ I also would say the whole site is NSFW, and take the site with a grain of salt. Ie, headline topics such as," Graphic vid, Woman who saw bubbles in urine finds out it's poop" and video of "mum praised for showing candid snaps of post pregnancy loose skin" Not a very good source of info in my book, but , hey, who am I to judge?

Yes, clearly you're elated so you can make your "third world" claim again.

Yes, I am. Sorry I'm not "woke" enough for you. Third world is third world regardless of how non-PC it may be to call it out.

^ I'd tag that video as NSFW since you're witnessing people die.

Yes, clearly you're elated

Yes, I am.

There's no appropriate response to that.

Again, I'd just reiterate KBrylczyk's warning to anyone who clicks the Daily Star link posted above that it does show people being injured as well as the usual stuff you'll see on that website.

^ I'd tag that video as NSFW since you're witnessing people die.

Yes, clearly you're elated

Yes, I am.

There's no appropriate response to that.

Again, I'd just reiterate KBrylczyk's warning to anyone who clicks the Daily Star link posted above that it does show people being injured as well as the usual stuff you'll see on that website.

Is there a reason you’re being a complete ass? Because it’s really not a good look for you.

If you get offended by the words "third world country" on this forum you're sure not going to like the rest of the internet.

My biggest takeaway was the guy making the third world country comments lives in northern Delaware. I mean, it takes one to know one, right?

And I'm from the same exact hometown as you, and went to HS with your sister, so that means what? Even shitty Delaware, which I will admit is pretty shitty, is nowhere near the level of shithole that these countries are.