TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tivoli Gardens Discussion Thread

Tivoli Gardens is planning to build its first hotel, the 18 story hotel will be named after Hans Christian Anderson. This eco-friendly hotel will be the unique work of architect Bjarke Ingels and placed in the garden area of the park. The hotel's whimsical features are to include misaligned level and the heavy use of plants.

https://archinect.com/news/article/150142668/big-to-design-hotel-tower-in-the-center-of-a-danish-amusement-park

BIG to design hotel tower in the center of a Danish amusement park

By Shane Reiner-Roth

Jun 21, '19 3:12 PM EST

Copenhagen is the rare city that can have an amusement park at its center, complete with anatopic pagodas, paper mâché mountains and wooden rollercoasters, and still be known as a world class destination for tasteful architecture and design. Tivoli Gardens has seen the city modernize around it since it first opened in 1843, and it is soon about to see a modernization of its own.

Bjarke Ingels, the Danish architect that studied at Copenhagen's Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts (KADK) and has since built projects around the globe, revealed this week that his firm will design his second building in Copenhagen in the center of Tivoli Gardens (the first being his waste-to-energy plant). The 18-story H.C. Anderson Hotel is in many ways a playful nod to the unique conditions of the amusement park in the city center.

As Ingels stated, the design "attempted to capture and accentuate the character of the existing castle, creating a new typology inspired by Tivoli’s archetypical architecture. A hybrid between the garden’s pagodas, pavilions and towers, our proposal builds a bridge between the city’s history and present – the nearby Rundetårn and Axel Towers – as well as the city’s archive of unrealized dreams. Past, present and fantasy unified in the heart of Copenhagen.”

In addition to the bold new hotel design, Tivoli Gardens will receive a "transformation and pedestrianization of the Tivoli Garden’s main entrance by urbanists from Gehl and consists of refurbishing and re-purposing the 1893 Tivoli Castle, renovating the 1883 Panorama Pavilion and building a new 18-story pagoda."

32102574_hcanight.jpg.fa48b021ebe7a5c2445261df730c79e7.jpg

Night time rendering of the hotel

Edited by larrygator

I think it will look fine in the area by the lake and restaurants. There are lots of trees that could obstruct many sight lines as you approach.

However, I don't like how it looks abandoned from outside the park.

622562411_HCAcity.JPG.05725acc16a87e8a6b27e64bef3ba628.JPG

• 3 months later...

Anyone have information regarding the revamp of odinexpressen. photos of the new track. ( saw a small photo of it on their instagram (its blue now)) and called "the milkyway" according to RCDB the new one is 13 m longer and 30 kmh slower? seems like a huge difference...

It looks like the layout is practically the same as expected. I just hope the max speed isnt reduced by as much as RCDB says ( iknow they arnt always 100% correct).

I always thought Odinexpressen were kinda thrilling for what it was and im still bummed how the new trains ruined rutschebanen @bakken (no brakeman, added trims on the hills)

It looks like the layout is practically the same as expected. I just hope the max speed isnt reduced by as much as RCDB says ( iknow they arnt always 100% correct).

I always thought Odinexpressen were kinda thrilling for what it was and im still bummed how the new trains ruined rutschebanen @bakken (no brakeman, added trims on the hills)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Vertigo quietly closed for good this past weekend.  If you navigate to the ride's page on Tivoli's website, you will find the following:

Please note: Vertigo is permanently closed as of 5 July.

Goodbye to Vertigo

After providing our guests with many unforgettable momnets, it is time for Vertigo for to bid farewell.

Fun facts:

Vertigo flew with the first guests in 2009.

Vertigo twice won first prize as Europe's top attraction in 2014 and 2016.

Vertigo was the only ride in the entire world that could operate in all three directions due to Tivoli reconfiguring the slip ring system.

Vertigo could run in 360 degree rotation, clockwise and counterclockwise.

In turbo mode, Vertigo flew at a speed of up to 14.9 rpm. minute, which amounts to a speed of 103.9 km per hour!

A Tivoli mechanic has done continuous 14 rides before he started to feel sick. That's a record!

Vertigo has had a 5G impact - that's 5 times the acceleration of gravity, which feels as if the body weighs five times as much as it normally does.

I rode Vertigo once back in 2019 and absolutely loved the ride.  It was unbelievably intense.  I couldn't believe how strong and sustained the Gs were.  That being said, it had a painfully low capacity to begin with and on a lot of recent reports, the ride has only been running one arm.

• Like 1

Awwww, man!  Well, I'm glad I was able to ride it before this.  It is easily among my favorite rides, it's just a damn shame they didn't sell.  I can see why they didn't, though.

When a park buys rides like this it's a bit like a middle aged person buying a supercar. It's totally impractical but it's a lot of fun while it lasts, you just have to make sure you give it a spin when you get the chance, otherwise you'll miss out and regret it for ever more. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Went to Tivoli for first time in my family's scandinavian trip.

Both Grona Lund and Tivoli showed me what you can do with limited space, and still create great atmospheric, themed parks.   I thought Tivoli was just gorgeous: lush landscaping, well-themed, well-maintained, and just exuded old school charm.

If the story is true, I can see how Walt Disney got inspiration from this park.   The park is much more than the rides, but we have a blast on the rides, especially Alpengast(?) coaster (and it's history) and the also really enjoyed Demon (I can't remember any of the names).

Completely charming.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TurnOfTheCentury said:

If the story is true, I can see how Walt Disney got inspiration from this park.   The park is much more than the rides

Tivoli is fantastic and was certainly an inspiration for ol' Walt.  If you get the chance, though, visit Die Efteling.  The influence from that park on Walt is undeniable.

22 hours ago, KBrylczyk said:

Tivoli is fantastic and was certainly an inspiration for ol' Walt.  If you get the chance, though, visit Die Efteling.  The influence from that park on Walt is undeniable.

yes, one of my bigger regrets was not venturing to Die Efteling when I was in Amsterdam in 2017-ish?   It looks amazing.