TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line has announced a new joint venture called Holistica, a destination development business focused on coastal destinations!

http://www.rclcorporate.com/rcl-and-itm-group-launch-holistica/

RCLCorp-Holistica-2-980x493.jpg.1e958423574480cd8ea01e496f5fb5be.jpg

We’re famous for building ships our guests love. We obsess over every detail of their onboard experience from before they even think of cruising until they decide to take the next one. And we’re really, really good at it.

But we know that the destinations we visit are just as essential in memory-making as our ships. “We’ve spent five decades learning what works and what doesn’t,” said RCL’s Michael Bayley, “and we know the potential of strategic destination development to deliver great guest experiences and meet the needs of local communities.”

So when RCL decided to get into the destination development business, we came from a position of strength. On June 24, RCL and Mexico’s ITM Group created Holistica Destinations Ltd., a 50-50 joint venture to radically transform the way we think about coastal destinations. As its name implies, the new company will use a holistic approach to generate significant economic growth for communities and local governments and preserve and sustain the area’s natural resources while offering a compelling experience for guests.

Holistica isn’t creating these destinations just for RCL ships and, perhaps even more surprising, not even only for cruise lines. “Having more destinations, developed in a responsible manner, gives travelers on land, sea, or air greater vacation quality,” says Bayley. “And that’s a win-win-win for the entire leisure industry.”

Holistica will begin with five projects already underway in Freeport, Bahamas; Costa Maya, Mexico; Roatan, Honduras; and Kumamoto, Japan, among others. The Freeport project, currently under review by the Bahamian government, is a great example of the holistic approach. While focused on reimagining the Grand Lucayan resort, the project includes ambitious plans for local ownership, employment, job training, community investment, and sustainable construction practices.

“We’re not just re-opening a resort in Freeport,” says Bayley. “We’re looking at everything from transportation to utilities to local culture to responsible sourcing to entertainment to… well, to everything. It’s an ecosystem, not a property.”

Photo of Star Jet

Just to clarify the actual name of the Seaside Heights coaster that took a bath. Jet Star, a Schwarzkopf, was the coaster that occupied that spot for 30 years before being replaced by the piece of crap Miler that was Star Jet, which totally deserved the dip in the ocean.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Carnival Vista, more negative media for this vessel.

Now, Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas had a propulsion issue with one of its three Azipods, but was able to sail until its next scheduled Dry Dock. Unfortunately this same issue has hit Allure twice in the past several years, there was even a documentary on the fix of the Azipod.

The problem with Carnival Vista is that it only has two Azipods while Allure of the Seas has three. I bet that having one down on Carnival Vista caused enough issues that they had to cancel sailings to fix it asap.

We were on Allure with one of the three down, and while it kept the ship from traveling at max speed, there was also a noticeable wobble at the stern of the ship. Nothing terrible, but it was noticeable.

When I sailed on Allure 2 years later, all three were working and the ship sailed much smoother.

Below is the power outage from today.

https://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/article/Carnival-Vista-which-sets-sail-from-Galveston-14069733.php

The Carnival Vista cruise ship, which sets sail from Galveston, lost power at sea just days before it's scheduled to be taken out of service for repairs.

The ship temporarily lost some power from midship to the forward section of the vessel on Tuesday evening, according to a Facebook post from Carnival Cruise Line brand ambassador John Heald.

The loss of power meant no lighting in the affected portion of the ship. Elevators and air-conditioning systems weren't working, either. Nobody was trapped in the elevators.

This news comes just days before the Carnival Vista will be taken out of service for 17 days due to "an issue affecting its maximum cruising speed."

The ship maintained navigation control during the power loss, and some areas such as the Punchliner comedy club in the aft of the ship remained unaffected.

"The engineers are working very hard to restore full power and of course the captain, Matt and myself are making constant announcements to keep everybody informed and the mood around the ship is one of understanding," Heald said in his Facebook post.

Follow-up posts indicated that the ship continued on its normal set course, that engineers slowly restored the power and that people were even dancing on the tables in the aft dining room.

Carnival said the temporary issue was quickly resolved and that the ship continued on without any changes to its itinerary.

And on Wednesday morning, Heald gave one final update before continuing his posts about food and a guest's service dog.

"After last night's adventures the guests are waking to beautiful sunshine and a perfect day at sea," he said in the Facebook post. "I want to thank all the guests here who kept calm as the engineers restored the lights that had gone off in parts of the ship, they were all brilliant. And the crew, well they were as they always are, dedicated, professional and kept the fun going."

• 1 month later...

New details about the fifth Disney Cruise Line ship, name the Disney Wish and Disney Cruise Line's new private island destination, Lighthouse Point were released today at the D23 Expo Disney Parks, Experiences and Products presentation!

At the D23 Expo today, Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Chairman Bob Chapek revealed the highly anticipated name of the fifth Disney Cruise Line ship, as well as a first look at the ship’s elegant, three-story atrium and the iconic Disney character that will adorn the ship’s stern. Chapek and Imagineer Joe Rohde also shared new details about plans for a second island destination for Disney Cruise Line in The Bahamas.

Image_DCL_DisneyWishStern.thumb.jpg.6a0b577c05fed038a1718d4128300366.jpg

A beloved hallmark of Disney Cruise Line, it has been a tradition to adorn the back of Disney ships with an iconic character that reflects the theme of each vessel. The Disney Wish’s stern will feature Rapunzel. Our favorite artsy princess, paintbrush in hand, uses her enchanted hair to suspend herself as she decorates the stern of the ship with the help of her feisty sidekick, Pascal. (Disney)

With a little help from Tinker Bell, Disney fans were the first to hear that Disney Wish will be the name of the fifth Disney Cruise Line ship. The Disney Wish is scheduled for delivery in late 2021 and is expected to set sail beginning in January 2022.

“There couldn’t be a better name for our incredible new ship because making wishes come true is part of the Disney DNA and is at the heart of so many of our cherished stories,” Chapek said.

Image_DCL_DisneyWishAtrium.thumb.jpg.73dce51e62468cd351d16c6d2b9783f7.jpg

The three-story atrium of the Disney Wish will be a bright, airy and elegant space inspired by the beauty of an enchanted fairytale. It will serve as the gateway to an unparalleled vacation filled with experiences designed especially for families. (Disney)

A new rendering provided D23 attendees with a first look at the ship’s bright and airy three-story atrium, inspired by the beauty of an enchanted fairytale.

Stern characters – a beloved hallmark of Disney Cruise Line vessels – have been a tradition of the Disney fleet since the beginning and reflect the theme of each ship. For the Disney Wish, the ship’s stern will feature Rapunzel. Spirited, smart, curious and above all, adventurous, Rapunzel embodies the wish and desire to see and experience the world.

“Each Disney Cruise Line ship is unique, with a name that embodies the excitement of sailing with Disney and the power of our stories. The new ships will have the experiences our guests love, as well as all-new magic,” Chapek added.

The three new ships will be powered by liquefied natural gas and, at approximately 144,000 gross tons and 1,250 guest staterooms, will be slightly larger than the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy.

Disney’s Second Bahamas Destination – Lighthouse Point

Also at the D23 Expo today, Disney revealed new information and two early conceptual artist renderings for its second island destination in The Bahamas, which is located on the breathtaking island of Eleuthera at a place called Lighthouse Point.

Image_DCL_LighthousePointIsland.thumb.jpg.df5a57b57e60baef3494a42918567465.jpg

Disney Cruise Line guests can look forward to a signature island experience that celebrates nature and the spirit and culture of The Bahamas at a new Disney port of call, which will be located on the breathtaking island of Eleuthera at a place called Lighthouse Point. (Disney)

“With three new ships joining our fleet, we thought this would be an incredible opportunity to add another unique destination to our ports of call. We looked all over The Bahamas and Caribbean for an ideal location that would enable us to create new experiences, while celebrating the culture of this amazing region,” Chapek said.

Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde, whose work includes the design of Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park in Orlando and Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa in Hawaii, has embarked on an in-depth cultural tour of the Bahamas to meet with local artists and cultural experts. Together, they have explored arts and cultural sites across New Providence and Eleuthera, from Junkanoo shacks to noted art galleries.

Image_DCL_LighthousePointBeach.thumb.jpg.faa7d1c1829222482c5a0d0df66169fc.jpg

Disney Cruise Line guests can look forward to a signature island experience that celebrates nature and the spirit and culture of The Bahamas at a new Disney port of call, which will be located on the breathtaking island of Eleuthera at a place called Lighthouse Point. (Disney)

“The Lighthouse Point site is so beautiful and so full of nature that we want to preserve this and use our designs to call attention to the extraordinary quality of the place itself – a place of natural beauty with a rich and fascinating cultural tradition,” Rohde said. “We will be directly involved in conservation efforts to preserve and protect the environment that creates this beauty, and we will be working with artists of every kind, much like we did with Aulani in Hawaii, to create a unique destination that is rooted in Bahamian culture and imbued with Disney magic.”

Disney Cruise Line completed its purchase of privately owned Lighthouse Point earlier this year and signed an agreement with the Government of The Bahamas that guides the responsible and sustainable way the site will be developed.

Disney has committed to develop less than 20 percent of the property; employ sustainable building practices, including an open-trestle pier that eliminates the need to dredge a ship channel; establish environmental monitoring programs during construction and operation; and donate more than 190 acres of privately owned land to Government, among other commitments.

Through the Disney Conservation Fund, Disney has provided more than $13 million to marine conservation programs around the globe, including several in The Bahamas. Since 2007, Disney has been directly involved in leading a multiyear initiative to protect and rehabilitate coral reefs in The Bahamas and will continue to work with leading conservation organizations and communities to protect special places there.

Construction at Lighthouse Point will begin only after an Environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Management Plan are reviewed and accepted by the Government of The Bahamas and public consultation has occurred. Construction could begin in 2020 with completion in late 2022 or 2023.

To learn more about Disney Cruise Line or to book a vacation, visit disneycruise.com, call Disney Cruise Line at 888-325-2500 or contact a travel agent.

• 2 months later...

Just got back from Navigator of the seas. The updates on the ship were wonderful, water slides were great. We also really enjoyed the new bars, pool deck and escape game. They did an amazing job.

Perfect Day at Coco cay. WOW. We loved it so much we are looking at cruises that go there twice. I've been so hyped for this park since concept...I was the first one down Daredevil's peak that day.

Daredevil's peak was one of the most intense body slides I've done. I much prefer this slide to the previous record breakers. The continual helix was crazy intense especially at the end, that S turn transition felt crazy, as simple as it looks. Be ready to climb, we did 140 flights of stairs on this day! (Did Daredevil's peak 5 times)

The rest of the water park was great, I wish there were some better food options but included food is always a plus. Loved that the drink package worked all over the island as well. Great slide variety for all levels of guests, and tons of space, We were the only ship on this trip, I could see it being slightly busy with two, but overall the whole make over of this island was truly impressive.

• 1 month later...

Wow, glad no one was hurt but out of curiosity does anyone here know what happens next for a ship where something like this occurs and there's damage? I'm assuming that ship is booked for another sailing as soon as this cruise ends so do they refund/reschedule everyone booked for that sailing? Would they close these areas/rooms for repair and continue as scheduled?

Glad our next sailing is on RCCL.....

I'm assuming that ship is booked for another sailing as soon as this cruise ends so do they refund/reschedule everyone booked for that sailing? Would they close these areas/rooms for repair and continue as scheduled?

Kind of looks like the latter

Well that answers that question haha, guess they'll just move Bingo to the pool deck.

I'm getting flashbacks to my contract aboard the Carnival Pride when the backstage flooded due to rough seas. Ended up staying awake through the night baling water out of the dressing rooms, lifts, and band pit. That was by far my best contract with Carnival, though, so imagine how horrific my other three must have been.

Just got back from Navigator of the seas. The updates on the ship were wonderful, water slides were great. We also really enjoyed the new bars, pool deck and escape game. They did an amazing job.

Perfect Day at Coco cay. WOW. We loved it so much we are looking at cruises that go there twice. I've been so hyped for this park since concept...I was the first one down Daredevil's peak that day.

Daredevil's peak was one of the most intense body slides I've done. I much prefer this slide to the previous record breakers. The continual helix was crazy intense especially at the end, that S turn transition felt crazy, as simple as it looks. Be ready to climb, we did 140 flights of stairs on this day! (Did Daredevil's peak 5 times)

The rest of the water park was great, I wish there were some better food options but included food is always a plus. Loved that the drink package worked all over the island as well. Great slide variety for all levels of guests, and tons of space, We were the only ship on this trip, I could see it being slightly busy with two, but overall the whole make over of this island was truly impressive.

I just got off of the Navigator a few weeks ago and I was honestly blown away by just how nice the upgrades were for the ship. It was my first Voyager class ship, and I was surprised at just how much closer to the Freedom Class (I've sailed on the Freedom and Independence of the Seas) it felt compared as opposed to my expectation of being closer to the Vision Class (I've sailed on the Enchantment of the Seas). The updated Promenade venues were really fantastic, particularly the Bamboo Room and Playmakers. The new slides were a fun touch and a pretty clever use of the space. The entire reworking of the pool deck and Lime & Coconut were also really nice.

Considering the last time I visited Coco Cay was somewhere around 2003, the island was very different than I remembered. We did get access to the water park, which was quite fun. Daredevil's Peak was easily one of the most intense slides I've ever experienced and the two drop box slides were fantastic. The rest of the island still seemed to have work underway with the adult beach under construction during our visit, but the food on the island and the amenities in the non-upcharge areas were quite nice too. Coco Cay has definitely come a long way!

I'm assuming that ship is booked for another sailing as soon as this cruise ends so do they refund/reschedule everyone booked for that sailing? Would they close these areas/rooms for repair and continue as scheduled?

Kind of looks like the latter

giphy.gif

oh yes. . because "offensive clothing" is the biggest issue I have with Carnival Cruise Lines.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/carnival-cruise-line-bans-offensive-clothing-trnd/index.html

(the Wal*mart of the seas, and unless it's something like a "TPR Klassy Kruise" ? No way in hell will I ever book Carnival).

Dream Cruises has announced that their newest ship, the Global Dream will sport a theme park with a coaster and several attractions for guests to enjoy onboard!

Global-Class.thumb.jpg.bc1f574d0f2835b86b67be9152ae79a1.jpg

https://cruisefever.net/cruise-line-building-a-nearly-10000-passenger-cruise-ship-with-a-theme-park/

Dream Cruises is building a 204,000 gross ton cruise ship that will not only carry nearly 10,000 passengers at maximum capacity, but will also have the first ever cruise ship theme park with the longest roller coaster at sea.

In 2021, Dream Cruises will debut Global Dream, the first of two Global class cruise ships from the cruise line. The cruise ship is currently under construction and will carry more passengers than any other ship in the world.

Apart from the theme park, amenities will include a Cineplex, Asian and Western spas, ample shopping facilities as well as authentic Asian and international dining experiences and fast food restaurants.

Designed for two guests, the 2,500 staterooms can also accommodate up to four with a unique two bathroom design to allow several people to get ready at once and a sofa bed that easily unfolds to sleep two comfortably. A thoughtful touch is a privacy curtain that can be closed to divide the room into separate seating and sleeping areas, making the cabins suitable for families and group travelers. The cabins will be approximately 15% larger than standard cruise ship staterooms.

State-of-the-art technology will include Bluetooth locks and a new smart system allowing passengers to control different functions such as the LED mood lighting and climate control with a smartphone app, voice recognition or through a touch-screen control panel. Smart sensors will also be able to detect occupants in the cabin to automatically adjust the lights and temperature for better energy efficiency and triple vent air-conditioning outlets ensure even air distribution for maximum comfort.

Roller Coaster

The “Space Cruiser” will be the highlight of the “Dream Park at the Pier” – first-ever theme park concept at sea that will push the envelope of entertainment and leisure facilities available at sea for discerning cruise passengers looking for unique experiences.

Each of the three Spike carts will provide interactive driving excitement for up to two riders per vehicle with inline seats and an integrated throttle allowing guests to control the speed of the ride. Due to the unusual perspective, the driver of the “Space Cruiser” will have the feeling of flying over the sea.

Theme Park

With something for everyone, “Dream Park at the Pier” assembles a myriad of attractions including:

• Bounce Activity Park – Spread out over the size of a basketball court, this inflatable park isn’t the same old bouncy castles found at kiddie parties. Guests can run, bounce, dance and jump their way around the massive bouncy obstacle course for the ultimate nostalgia trip.
  • Jump! – Bounce around to your heart’s content in a special trampoline park that will have you jumping for joy!
  • Shark Bay – Unleash your inner daredevil on our bungee trampoline. Accomplish acrobatic feats while attached to a safety harness for maximum fun.
  • Wipe Out – Ride the waves at our on board surf simulator. Whether you hang ten or hang out, you’ll have a wet and wild time with your friends.
  • Cosmic Chaos – Spin, twirl, give it a whirl. Become a human gyro and get ready to tumble.
  • Kranky Kraken – Kiddies can make friends with our amiable octopus and fly around in one of his many arms.
  • Little Dreamers Ride – Tiny tots can test their driving skills in our mini karts for some race-car hijinks – all in a safe and controlled environment.
  • And much, much more!

global4.jpg.79bd7aee71050ad645a3b64eae806c16.jpg

Global Dream will have 28 elevators and eight sets of escalators.

The Global Class ships will also be the largest cruise ships ever built in Germany and the world’s largest cruise ships in terms of passenger capacity.

rollercoaster.thumb.jpg.33a25ac464eb2268cfd13a222b54e6ca.jpg

themepark.jpg.3effb9493064d275edfa346aeadd20d1.jpg

image-06.jpg.e421503430301fcfd07579a52eb919b3.jpg

https://www.dreamcruiseline.com/en-us/media/press-release/2020/press-release-20200109-gcl-unveils-dream-cruises-innovative-spike-vehicle-for-its-space-cruiser/

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 4 weeks later...
At least 10 people on board a cruise ship docked in the Japanese port of Yokohama have tested positive for coronavirus, health authorities say.

Almost 300 of the 3,700 people on the Diamond Princess have been tested so far. The number of infected could rise.

The checks began after an 80-year-old Hong Kong man who had been on the ship last month fell ill with the virus.

Some 3,600 people on a second cruise ship docked in Hong Kong are also being tested.

How did the virus get on board the ship?

There is a much smaller number of cases in countries around the globe other than China - two people outside of mainland China have died of the disease.

The Hong Kong man believed to be the source boarded the cruise ship in Yokohama, Japan, on 20 January, and disembarked in Hong Kong on 25 January. He was only later found to have tested positive for the virus.

Officials on the cruise ship began screening guests on Monday evening, and the vessel was placed under quarantine on Tuesday.

What happens to the passengers now?

Passengers and crew on the ship will now be under quarantine for 14 days. The incubation period of the virus is believed to be around two weeks.

All 10 cases are in those over the age of 50 and one is in their 80s, Japanese broadcaster NHK said.

Two of them are said to be Japanese, and none are in "serious condition", it added.

"We had them [the ones who tested positive] get off the vessel and... we are sending them to medical organisations," Japanese Health Minister Katsunobu Kato said at a news conference on Wednesday.

British tourist David Abel, who is on board, told the BBC he was supposed to return to the UK on Tuesday.

"We had a flight booked with BA on Tuesday morning and that has had to be cancelled. We've got no idea when we are going to be allowed off the ship," he said.

David Abel is one of 3,700 people in quarantine aboard the Diamond Princess

"All we have been informed [sic] is 14 days quarantine on the ship. That means we've got no interaction with other passengers, food is brought to the room. It's really basic food, nothing like we've enjoyed on the cruise at all."

Another passenger said her mother, who is in her 80s, was running out of medicine.

"We are in trouble because [her] medicine is running out. Many of the passengers are old and some are as troubled as we are," she told NHK.

The Diamond Princess cruise ship is part of the Princess Cruises line, owned by British-American cruise operator Carnival Corporation.

There are now 20 confirmed coronavirus cases in Japan, excluding the cruise ship infections.

What about the Hong Kong ship?

Separately on Wednesday, 1,800 passengers and a similar number of crew onboard the World Dream, a cruise ship docked in Hong Kong, are also being tested for the virus.

Local media reports say that three Chinese passengers who had spent time on the ship tested positive for the virus after disembarking.

Passengers developed symptoms on a previous World Dream cruise

The infected passengers were on the ship between 19 to 24 January. Hong Kong health officials say none of those on board had contact with the three passengers.

Some 30 crew members of the cruise ship say they are suffering symptoms of the virus and are also being tested.

Source

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it's insane that they canceled so many sailings. But, they had to due to financial reasons. Of course, they are saying it's for the health and safety of the guests, but they had two outbreaks on their ships so the public was probably dropping Princess cruises like crazy. They would have lost so much money if they kept the cruises going.