TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Quick question for anyone who's been there this season... is the main arcade on the midway still operating? I remember hearing that they were auctioning off a lot of their old school games a while back, and not sure what came of it. I see it still listed on the park map so I'm confused if they just cleared out a lot of space in there, replaced them with newer ones, or shut it down entirely. Thanks in advance.

It's still going. I didn't personally go in but a couple friends did and said it was pretty cool and had a bunch of old school games in there.

Anyone else ever get big bruises on top of their shoulders from riding Maverick a bunch? It was kind of funny when I noticed them.

^

I'm going with Gatekeeper.

Anyone else ever get big bruises on top of their shoulders from riding Maverick a bunch? It was kind of funny when I noticed them.

I always get them from Kingda Ka (same/similar trains but the harder restraints) and have after an I305 marathon but not Maverick or Storm Runner/Fahrenheit.

The local media is having a field day with Gatekeeper valleying, the typical coverage full of inaccuracies. But GK sure does like nice valleying when it's lights are all on. Lol.

That hasn't happened to me since the changed over to the soft restraints. What a blessing.

Quick question for anyone who's been there this season... is the main arcade on the midway still operating? I remember hearing that they were auctioning off a lot of their old school games a while back, and not sure what came of it. I see it still listed on the park map so I'm confused if they just cleared out a lot of space in there, replaced them with newer ones, or shut it down entirely. Thanks in advance.

It's still there. They sold off the pinball machines and some of the older mechanical type games, but the rest is still there, including the Whack A Mole machines, which may work or just take your quarters. It's part of the thrill!

Lastly, prozach, congrats to the Blues. Binnington should never have to buy a drink in STL ever again!

I saw a video on Instagram that GateKeeper vallyed this evening... this is what parks get for building forceless B&Ms.

*facepalm* I really hope that was a poor attempt at sarcasm.

It was. Apologies to those who took it otherwise.

^ but I don't do waterparks. . . LOL. . . even tho been to CP twice, still haven't been in theirs (and when I was at Coastermania in June 2017, Bill and I dipped our feet in the lake, and it was freaking COLD). . .so I dunno!

I mean, we didn't even go on Tsunami Soaker with you on Sunday. . . so maybe me trip weather mojo doesn't work on waterparks, since the universe knows I don't like them

Ha,ha.....Well darn it, so much for help from you, are you worried about your hair getting messed up? I think going to the waterpark may be a game day decision depending on if we get lucky enough to get above 80 degrees.

The boy is super jealous that GK riders were evacuated and he wasn't one of them. Weirdo

Wow! Cedar Fair is buying Schlitterbahn! Coaster 101 has posted the news today ( https://www.coaster101.com/2019/06/13/cedar-fair-signs-agreement-to-acquire-schlitterbahn-water-parks):

Cedar Fair Entertainment Company announced today that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire two iconic water parks and one resort in Texas – Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort New Braunfels and Schlitterbahn Waterpark Galveston for a cash purchase price of $261 million, subject to certain working capital adjustments related to the timing of the closing.

Additionally, Cedar Fair has the right to acquire a property located in Kansas City, Kansas, for a cash purchase price of $6 million.

“We are very excited about the opportunity to bring these two award-winning Texas water parks into the Cedar Fair family,” said Richard Zimmerman, Cedar Fair’s president and CEO. “These properties represent new markets for us with attractive demographics in the growing Central Texas region, and they align with our strategy to identify compelling opportunities to accelerate our growth and profitability. The investments we have made over the past five years to strengthen our back-of-house and customer-facing systems will support a smooth integration of these properties by ensuring a premium guest experience, strong team collaboration and superior execution.”

Zimmerman continued, “Schlitterbahn employees are known throughout the industry for their innovation and dedication to the quality of the guest experience. Because of their work, the water park located in New Braunfels has been recognized as the ‘Best Water Park in the World’ for 21 straight years, and Galveston has received recognition as the ‘Best Indoor Water Park in the World’ for a decade. We look forward to adding these parks to Cedar Fair’s industry-leading portfolio of regional entertainment resorts.”

In 2018, Cedar Fair entertained 25.9 million guests, reported $1.35 billion in annual net revenues. The two Texas water parks and the resort entertained 1.2 million guests in 2018 and generated annual revenues of approximately $68 million. Following this transaction, Cedar Fair’s portfolio will consist of 15 parks, resort accommodations totaling more than 2,000 rooms across six parks, more than 600 luxury RV sites across four parks, and two marinas.

"Cedar Fair has the right to acquire a property located in Kansas City, Kansas, for a cash purchase price of $6 million."

In other words, that property is essentially valued for its real estate, only, due to its extreme mismanagement.

I can't find any updates about Jeff's arrest or indictment but this article is interesting and how could you build a slide like that without hiring any engineers?:

https://people.com/crime/schlitterbahn-owner-jeffrey-henry-drug-arrest-domestic-abuse/

There was a lot of discussion on that back in the Schlitterbahn thread here on TPR....

Sorry for the double post but thanks to TBpony for hooking us up with our (or at least my) new favorite ornament.

9DDA0F01-90C4-4B9D-AC6B-A14BFF4E6CCA.thumb.jpeg.904d290120f7b58ec58fd8ebb52f19c6.jpeg

Yeah, Cedar Point apparently sells this now. Between this and the Parched Pig at Kings Dominion we’re doing our part to bump up FUN’s in-park-spending revenues this year. You’re welcome, shareholders.

that's great! and so cool of Liz to grab for you.

^reminds me of Bill who sometimes sends me unexpected stuff in the mail too

TPR forum members really are some of the best folks around!

Is Top Thrill Dragster back running? Wednesday AM it went down. Had the weakest launch I've ever seen, only halfway up the tower. They tried launching one completely empty train after that and it did the same. Didn't sound right either. Never reopened the rest of the day that I saw.

Has anyone gone to Frontier Fest this year? Last time I went was 2 years ago and found it to be very good. Was wondering if the changes are better?

I haven't tried nearly all the food but the stuff I have tried has been really good. The menu this year seems much more extensive. The festival itself also has a really nice atmosphere this year with all the different things they have going on.

Potentially big news:

Steel Vengeance is open right now. This is the first time the ride has been open for Early Entry on a weekday all season so it looks like the days of it being quietly swapped out for Magnum and having a scheduled (but not advertised) noon opening are potentially over.

Potentially big news:

Steel Vengeance is open right now. This is the first time the ride has been open for Early Entry on a weekday all season so it looks like the days of it being quietly swapped out for Magnum and having a scheduled (but not advertised) noon opening are potentially over.

This is great news if it keeps up. I will be there sometime in the next week, most likely Friday or Sunday.

Which brings me to a question. I have a platinum pass and have no qualms buying FL+. So which is the better day? I assume Sunday would be a bit less crowded. My only visit to CP was on a Wednesday/Thursday after all the schools in the area were back in session. This trip will most likely be KK>KI>CP but could also easily be CP>KI>KK. I bought KI FL+ on the President's Day sale and assume it would be best used on Saturday.

That first visit to CP I rode all the adult coasters in one day. Then did laps on Maverick and Millennium Force during early entry the next day. AFAIK, Steel Vengeance did not open at the start of early entry either of those days last year, FWIW. It may have opened at some point during early entry, but I had moved on to the best two coasters in the park.