TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

See, I want in in that. I'll double check before I leave. I may actually be able to go on Friday, but not until about 4.

Sweet, if you do that, they offer a discounted evening wristband. I'm having a hard time finding information on it, since they only sell the evening one at the park, but IIRC, it was around $30, whereas the all day is $45. I think it starts at 5, so if you get there at 4, you can do Haunted Mansion, Fascination, museums, gift shops, and dinner until the wristband starts. If you get there earlier than that, just get the all day wristband.

They don’t close the Haunted Mansion on weekends. I don’t know where that’s coming from.

That's good news. A guy on my IG chat said that. Didn't make sense, so I asked in here. Thanks for that info. I can't wait to go in 3 weeks.

Monday and Tuesday everything was a walk on it was incredible. Mildly interesting story about the flyers, me and my partner were able to find an operator who would not slow the wheel under any circumstances, leading to by far the craziest snapping I've ever had, I got knocked so hard I couldn't keep my hands on the sail. We rode it all day whenever he was operating it.

Fast forward to Wednesday, I get on the ride with the same op and he walks over and basically says "Maintenance had to fix four of the vehicles yesterday, so they checked the camera footage and saw that I was letting you guys do that, and I've been told not to. I wish I could let you do it but I can't."

Dude was really nice I wish they would just let the ride run the way it's designed. Anybody know any good tips on how to get good ops on this thing? There was one dude who was really strict but then like 10 minutes before closing I asked since we were the only people on it if we could do it, and he said yes and sent us on a 5 minute cycle of insanity. But short of that I can't think of a way to guarantee you'll get a fast ride.

Also that haunted house was terrifying and amazing wish I hadn't missed it on my past visits.

Dude was really nice I wish they would just let the ride run the way it's designed. Anybody know any good tips on how to get good ops on this thing?

You answered your own question.

Fast forward to Wednesday, I get on the ride with the same op and he walks over and basically says "Maintenance had to fix four of the vehicles yesterday..."

If they really did have to repair four vehicles (that you probably rode in) because of those insane cycles, then the ride was definitely not operating as designed. It's super-awesome that Knoebels operators know that people like to ride that way, but think about all the disappointed guests that might not have been able to ride Wednesday if they weren't able to complete their repairs.

I don't know the extend of the damage to the vehicles, It could have been something really small for all I know. But yeah if it seriously damages them that would be a problem, but I think since the ride has been running for almost 80 years the same way that they think it's not a problem. I've never seen the flyers closed, I of course wouldn't want to ruin a day for an entire park just so I could snap around.

It's super-awesome that Knoebels operators know that people like to ride that way.

Yeah, I was extremely grateful for those operators, they pretty much made our trip. I got two "Way to Go!" things from guest services and gave them to the guy who told me about the damage and the guy who ran the 5 minute cycle. For people who don't know what that is, If there's any employee you think is doing an exemplary job you can tell guest services and they'll give you a coin sized wood circle with "Way to Go!" on it, and then you give it to the employee and they can exchange it for cash I think? Most people don't know about it so it really makes the ops happy I would certainly recommend.

• 3 weeks later...

I was there last night and the Flyer op was slowing it down whenever anyone started snapping, but he did NOT ever say a single word to anyone about it, turned it back up later, and gave decently long rides. This seems like a good compromise solution and I hope it continues.

If there's any employee you think is doing an exemplary job you can tell guest services and they'll give you a coin sized wood circle with "Way to Go!" on it, and then you give it to the employee and they can exchange it for cash I think? Most people don't know about it so it really makes the ops happy I would certainly recommend.

I love that, and I wish I'd have known on my last visit!

Took the kids and met the NY based parents on the 3rd and 4th. Crowds were rather light on the 3rd and heavier on the 4th although the picnic areas and pool had the bulk of the people. Two full days and everyone still left without having ridden or eaten something they planned on checking off their list. Finally played Fascination and was hooked. Finally made it to the pool and, even though it was packed, it was a good cool off- and of course an efficient process.

Lifeguards had to pull a guy out after going off the high dive. Kudos.

Everything was great. The open admission worked out perfectly for the grandparents. Dad rode everything he wanted with the free retired military coupon book. The only thing close to a negative was on my second ride on the Fliers I was told to keep the snapping under control. Simultaneously proud and embarrassed.

The Super 8 in Danville was another story. If you have booked there- cancel. Filthy carpets and dirty sheets and towels. Outlets and AC didn't work. The "Super Start Breakfast" was explained as an "economy breakfast and not a continental breakfast" by the front desk. No beverages. (My eye doctor and car wash have coffee.) Cereal, oatmeal, apples, bread for the toaster. Had to go to McDonalds for breakfast and returned to find a guy "cleaning" our room bypassing the do not disturb sign.

Everything on that side on the intersection is boarded up. I guess this place will be next. Maybe try the Best Western across the street. Trip Advisor reviews fell off in April. I never looked.

20190704_082353.thumb.jpg.ba071f4ca0f9ce2d96d809d58205e6ad.jpg

20190704_082405.thumb.jpg.f5b0f17f7a11516c66d9bd80464777dd.jpg

Then there's who we were referring to as the Snap Nazi. Large dude, bowling pin shaped, bald, with a hat. He was a real jerk. Turning down every single cycle even without snapping, the one ride I had, I really ticked him off. He turned 'em down after about 20 seconds, and I continued to snap them for a solid minute. Eventually he turned it all the way off, and while it was freewheeling around, pointed at me and yelled "YOU! LET GO OF YOUR RUDDER."

Once I did he proceeded to run it at about a quarter speed the rest of the time. The excuse he gave me and a few other people, "I let you guys snap 'em but I slow it down if you're getting out of control." What a bunch of bull, if you can snap 'em you're not out of control.

rant>

Not sure if this is of interest to anyone? However, the Snap Nazi quit his job at Knoebels about 2 weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a fun visit yesterday, the first time in three years for me. I was excited to get my first rides on Flyer - what the heck just happened?! Anyway, here's Tumbling Timbers.P7158043.thumb.JPG.1fa77d150cb6d9bb57f10ba73087a264.JPG

I didn't ride, since Phoenix is right behind it. It looks like people were enjoying themselves, though.

Pioneer Train seemed fine; I'm not sure what day or time the derailment happened.

I might do a photo TR, you never know.

-Andrew M

• 2 weeks later...