TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

Did they even need this 'North America first' to begin with? I think a new Harry Potter ride sells itself without the marketings teams need to justify why they can ignore Verbolten.

Yeah, I have to be honest, I'm not exactly sure why they felt the need to go with some of those "Six Flags" type of marketing "world's first...North America's first..." etc... To me if they just said "New Harry Potter ride" is pretty much all they needed to get people to show up at the gate...

The Universal Orlando Resort has announced the next original content haunted house that will be offering up scares at this year's Halloween Horror Nights!

215665274_DepthsofFear.thumb.jpg.95359daf40e5942037ede7566c4c4dcf.jpg

https://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/depths-of-fear-at-hhn-2019/

If you have a fear of water and what lies beneath, your skin will crawl with this new haunted house at Halloween Horror Nights. Depths of Fear mixes all the elements of the unknown with underwater elements, monstrous creatures and a countdown to a disastrous fate.

Story

The workers of a deep-sea mining company have found themselves in a dire situation. They’ve delved too deep and encountered a parasitic race of creatures that turn out to be deadly. Panic ensues as you find yourself encountering infected miners and acidic creatures. The pressure builds as the self-destruct sequence counts down to the inevitable implosion of the facility.

“Mouthbrooders”

As you venture further into the depths, you’ll encounter the creatures known only as the “Mouthbrooders.” Picture being trapped in a claustrophobic mining installation underwater with a countless number of these slithering monsters. Your worst nightmares will come to life as these fiends spew flesh-eating acidic eggs at human hosts, and you witness miners being driven mad by the infection.

Event Details

Halloween Horror Nights returns to Universal Studios Florida on select nights from Sept. 6 – Nov. 2. This year, you’ll experience 10 haunted houses, 5 scare zones, live entertainment and more. Choose a night and get your tickets now!

LAST CHANCE: Don’t miss out on the limited time ticket offer and exclusive vacation package for Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Florida. Offer ends 6/5/19.

I enjoyed your Hagrid video enough to finally make an account and start posting! Great videos and previews as always.

As a huge Harry Potter fan I love that Hagrid is getting his own ride. The motorbike theme is so clever and I’ll definitely have to make a trip down there some day. Can’t wait to hear the impressions after you folks to get to ride it.

I'm glad that the seating isn't like TRON at WDW. This is more practical for everybody who wants to ride this coaster, but can't ride the TRON one. But I am curious how pairs of people will be seated beside each other? And groups who want to stay together, side by side, etc?

The Universal Orlando Resort has shared a first look at the new dining options available at Beach Break Cafe, the casual dining food court at Surfside Inn and Suites, which will begin hosting guests on June 27th, 2019!

https://blog.universalorlando.com/food/surfside-food-and-drink/

If you’re anything like me, one of your favorite things to do while vacationing is to enjoy delicious food and drinks. That’s why I’m bringing you a first look at the food and drinks you’ll be able to try at our newest extra-affordable Value Hotel, Universal’s Endless Summer Resort – Surfside Inn and Suites, opening June 27.

At Beach Break Cafe, the casual dining food court at Surfside Inn and Suites, you’ll be able to take a break from your adventure in the parks and dig into some surfer-inspired dishes, featuring Southern California flavors and fresh ingredients. Just like surf culture, Beach Break Cafe dares to be different, offering food and drink from around the world in a care-free, cool and exciting setting from early morning to late at night, all within a family-friendly hotel.

This casual dining food court will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Inspired by food trucks, local joints and backyard BBQs, Beach Break Cafe’s menu will be super affordable and offer something for everyone from unique cuisine to comfort food.

Here’s just some of what you’ll find on the menu at Beach Break Cafe.

BREAKFAST

Bacon Egg and Cheese Croissant

Served with Breakfast Potatoes

33A9722_SurfsideBreakfastCroissant-1-1.thumb.jpg.39c613e8d371add379310415905e1463.jpg

Breakfast Pizza

Sausage Gravy, Bacon, Scrambled Eggs, Mozzarella, and Cheddar Cheese

33A9750_Surfside_BreakfastPizza-1-1.thumb.jpg.c1afde908923a57c73e8f3602d2146a5.jpg

LUNCH AND DINNER

Italian Ciabatta

Ham, Capicola, Genoa Salami, Provolone, Red Onion, Tomato, Shredded Romaine, Pepperoncini, Red Wine Vinaigrette

33A9763_Surfside_Ciabatta-512x731.jpg.72539a1db1f048f306a29c614ccecd1e.jpg

SoCal (Southern California) – Cobb Salad

Southern California is a region known for light, clean and unique flavors.

Chopped Lettuce, Tomatoes, Avocado, Blue Cheese, Bacon, Hard Boiled Egg and Avocado Ranch Dressing

33A9785_Surfside_SoCalCobb-1.thumb.jpg.0409b8da946fb481742ead5079e89308.jpg

Caprese Panini

Tomato, Mozzarella, Fresh Basil, Balsamic Glaze

33A9862_Surfside_Pannini-1.thumb.jpg.c45253c88ca116ceb7587c026d694ddd.jpg

Pipeline Burger

This burger is inspired by the classic wave — one of the most famous and most photographed waves.

Beef Patty, Topped with Caramelized Onion, Bacon Jam and Provolone Cheese Served with Crisp Lettuce and Vine Ripe Tomatoes on a Toasted Bun Tofu Power Bowl with Baja Sauce

33A9897_Surfside_PipelineBurger-1.thumb.jpg.5e5ad1bd46a827daea8dd7350b82770e.jpg

Tofu Power Bowl with Baja Sauce

If you’re more of a carnivore, you can choose chicken or carne asada for this dish as well.

Cilantro Lime Rice, Quinoa, Kale, Red Cabbage, Pickled Carrots

33A9797_Surfside_TofuPowerBowl-1.thumb.jpg.7491ee4cc18bc932d17acd13b3ee6710.jpg

Planning to spend the day at the pool soaking up the sun or looking to enjoy some refreshing drinks while you hang loose? Throw on your board shorts and head to Sand Bar, the laid-back pool bar at Surfside Inn and Suites. Here’s a taste of some of the drinks we’ll be serving up poolside.

33A0033_SurfsideCocktailLineup.thumb.jpg.d15d58907c931a5468e49b637e0b1f7e.jpg

Orange Surf Board

Orange Vodka, Coconut Rum, Triple Sec, Orange Juice and a splash of Cranberry

Tidal Wave

Endless Summer Rum, Peach Vodka, Gin, Peach Schnapps, OJ and Pineapple Juice

Surf En La Paloma

Tequila, Blood Orange, Grapefruit Juice and Soda

Epic Sunset (Frozen)

Vodka, Mango Colada and Strawberry Island Oasis

Toasted Coconut Mango Mojito (Frozen)

Coconut Rum, Mango and Mojito Island Oasis

Must be 21 years and older with valid identification to purchase or drink alcoholic beverages.

Are you ready to take a Beach Break? In the comments, tell us which dish or drink you’re looking forward to trying.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 2 weeks later...

I know this isn’t likely but for the upcoming rumored third/fourth park at Universal Orlando Resort tentatively called Fantastic Worlds or Epic Universe their have been a number of possible new worlds that could come to this new park like Super Nintendo World, Universal Classic Monsters, DreamWorks, Fantastic Beasts(more Potter), possibly Jurassic World depending on what happens to JP themed land at IOA, Middle Earth/LOTR, Star Trek, their seems to be a number of possibilities that would make great themed worlds but I had one in mind that will definitely lease likely not happen but it would be awesome. Revive Universal older IP’s like Jaws, King Kong again with Monsterverse, Earthquake, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Twister, Terminator, Waterworld, etc. Perhaps update them with newer technology and up to date animatronics instead of 3D glasses and projected screens hopefully we won’t see as much of this in the new park. But their could be new stories to tell with Back to the Future as an example create a Hill Valley area or a wild western themed section from Back to the Future Part 3. Jaws could be a themed New England setting riding Quint’s Orca boat as a E-ticket attraction possibly. If The Meg does well from Warner Bros which is expecting a sequel you never know what could happen with Jaws it could spark interest of making another Jaws movie. As for Ghostbusters and Terminator they are getting new movies too so we’ll see. Earthquake was supposed to get a new movie directed by JJ Abrams but failed. I’d like to see earthquake though created as a San Francisco setting riding a trolley car waiting for the earthquake to happen! Just my dreams on here.

All solid ideas ! Always good to dream. Universal to me can wildly fluctuate between really good ideas and craftsmanship to head scratching what were they thinking type of moments. Their work with the HP was been pretty spectacular world wide. So that is a highlight. Really looking forward to how they execute the Nintendo world.

So this happened today at Volcano Bay. Several Employees were hospitalized after a "technical issue" and the park was closed. Not much other info. Maybe a chlorine trouble? Link, https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/workers-hospitalized-after-technical-issues-at-universals-volcano-bay/2047807088

Haven't really looked into it, but I don't think some extra chlorine would send people to a hospital and close a park unless it's a huge amount over what's needed. I've been in plenty of pools that aren't balanced properly and the only ill effect is the smell and eyes that feel like you put a little shampoo in it. I recall seeing someone mention a guest getting shocked, so maybe they discovered an electrical short in one of the ride systems and decided to shut it all down.

Really looking forward to how they execute the Nintendo world.

A shaking box, most likely. Hopefully Mario Kart gets the SFX Coaster treatment.

^ yes, I should have updated my first post on this. It was an electrical problem. Guests experienced it , notified park employees, and must have been serious enough that team members were sent to the hospital to be checked out. According to the park, the problem has been (theoretically) corrected. I want to check the park out this summer, but I'm going to hold off for a few weeks.

I'll just sum up my thoughts here in an easy to digest bullet-point format since people seem to be putting words in my mouth:

- Overall, the ride is fun... a lot of fun.

- What is there on the ride looks great.

- If you are expecting a ride as thrilling or as intense as Dueling Dragons, this is not your ride.

- If you like coasters such as Taron or Cheetah Hunt, you will most likely enjoy this coaster as well.

- I'm VERY HAPPY this is not a screen based attraction.

- While the theming that is there looks "good" I did expect more from it based on how much they were hyping the figures, the "story coaster" and the indoor section. And that's really the only part of the ride that didn't live up to expectations.

Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Review!

So I got to ride Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure yesterday at the media preview and here are my thoughts on the ride...

IMG_1795.thumb.JPG.a5c3830083860f9fc427a7956eed3107.JPG

It's fun. It's twisty. The launches are "good." The backwards spike is great. The drop-track is overrated. (As are all drop-tracks, not just this one!)

Keep in mind that these are the comments of a somewhat jaded roller coaster rider who has been on over 2,000 different roller coasters...

IMG_1784a.thumb.jpg.6745eb805c71f7af31d34e9146fc875d.jpg

I came away really liking the ride, but also felt the same way I did about Taron, Helix, and many other coasters that other people absolutely LOVED but I felt a *bit* underwhelmed about.

Here's my biggest issue with Hagrid's... it's a "family" coaster. And that's fine... it's actually a DAMN GOOD "family" coaster... but it replaced Dueling Dragons. And this is NOT a replacement for Dueling Dragons in any way.

The ride felt a LOT like a less-thrilling version of Taron or Cheetah Hunt, and that's not a bad thing, I like both of those rides quite a bit, I just don't think they are as good as people have hyped them up to be.

IMG_1804a.thumb.jpg.f58086dfa20dce58e51d2b3bc73108c6.jpg

It's a lot of low-to-the ground twisty bits with "boosts" (I'm not sure I'd really call them launches) here and there.

And none of those things are complaints, in fact, the only real criticism I have of the ride is I was actually surprised how little theming there really was on this coaster.

Most of the track is out in the open and you fly by the themed elements so quickly you hardly see them. It's like the Yeti on Everest. You see Hagrid for a total of five seconds (I counted on my third ride) and you see the three-headed monster thing for even less. I almost totally missed the blue flying creatures inside the car because you go by that so fast you almost don't notice the car let alone the creatures inside of it.

The only really themed section is the indoor drop-track area and that part was kind of weird. When you first enter the building, it's almost totally unthemed (like as though it wasn't finished) and there is nothing hiding the fact that you can look around and see you're in a giant building.

As you go further in, it just looks like you're in a cave with a bunch of moving vines. It didn't look bad, but it also wasn't a "OH WOW, GREAT THEMING" moment either.

And then there is the drop track. An element that I describe as the "shortest drop on Tower of Terror" or something about as thrilling as a Frog Hopper. It's not "thrilling" it's just slightly "startling" if you don't know when to expect it. But since all these drop track elements are EXACTLY THE SAME on every coaster I've ever been on (and I've been on five of them since 2006...yes, that's how long this element has been around) I knew exactly when it was going to drop because the timing has never changed on any ride that includes this element. Fun, yes, especially for the first-time rider, but when you've been riding coasters like this for 14 years, it has lost its "thrill moment."

I actually think my favorite parts on this ride are the backwards spike because it feels JUST LIKE Montezooma's Revenge (and I love that ride) and the launch just after the drop track is probably the best of them all.

The park boasts that this ride has "seven launches" but to me you really only feel three of them as any significant launch. The initial one at the start of the ride, the launch right after you see Hagrid, and then the launch after the drop track. The rest of them just sort of "push the train" along a bit faster.

IMG_1822.thumb.JPG.01ba719aab3ba7c1126cb78afb33fb3e.JPG

I rode both the side car and the motorbike and I actually found that, other than your seat being higher on the motorbike, both seats gave pretty much exactly the same ride experience. I honestly didn't prefer one over the other. The motorbike seat isn't a real "motorbike ride vehicle" like Tron or the other Vekoma and Zamperla Motorbike coasters are, it's just a regular roller coaster train with themed elements around it to make it look like a motorbike.

IMG_1759.thumb.jpg.5c8d6a47f88044c95a693e6bcbd7bd4c.jpg

IMG_1845.thumb.JPG.82f6de23e43d17b8ce99682db09057ac.JPG

There is the initial moment where you go "Oh, I'm higher/lower than the seat next to me" but once the ride starts, you notice that less because you are focused on the action of the ride and not the seat next to you.

IMG_1827.thumb.JPG.34a4fceaee9ee159c30ff3a2f0272736.JPG

Actually my only other criticism is that I don't think it should be a 48" height restriction. 42" or 44" would have been perfect. And that would have put it more into a "family" coaster category where it belongs.

Overall, it's a very fun ride. While it exceeded some expectations, it also met the expectation that it wouldn't deliver the same level of thrill or excitement that Dueling Dragons did, and the fact that a perfectly good "world's top ten" roller coaster was pointlessly demolished for this ride still really bums me out, especially after walking through a mostly changed Dragon Challenge queue... it's just kind of a sore reminder about what once was there...

IMG_1825.thumb.jpg.e37f69884ea8c35c2e8182acfa33bc19.jpg

And hey, if Draco Malfoy is having an awesome time riding Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure, you KNOW it has to be amazing!

IMG_1773b.thumb.jpg.502ac8c6bc229b1fe9af757c573c8c29.jpg

Here's a video we did featuring a complete walk-through of the queue and some offride shots:

And here is the pre-show video that is the first thing you see when you walk into the castle...

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew] Edited by robbalvey

Thanks for that great review! I've been waiting to hear one that cuts out all the Potter hype and focuses on the coaster elements, as that's what I've been most curious about. It still sounds like a fun addition, and I'm looking forward to trying it out myself this weekend.

Thanks for that great review! I've been waiting to hear one that cuts out all the Potter hype and focuses on the coaster elements, as that's what I've been most curious about. It still sounds like a fun addition, and I'm looking forward to trying it out myself this weekend.

Yep, I'm not a Potter person so I can really only speak to the coaster part of the ride. In fact, I didn't even know I had a pic of Tom Felton, or who he even was, until someone else pointed it out to me!

While this does look like a fun attraction, it is a small shame about the level of theming considering how much the park has marketed the theming. And I think no one really expected this to be better than Dragons.

I saw on one of your socials that you weren't able to shoot on ride pov footage at the time. Do you know if that will be coming from either you or the park in the future?

I think no one really expected this to be better than Dragons.

I didn't expect it to be better than Dragons, but that still doesn't ease the fact that a world's top tier coaster was destroyed for a ride that doesn't live up. I'm not usually one to get all bummed out about attractions leaving, but I refuse to believe that Dragons was at the "end if its life" or that these two attractions couldn't have co-existed.

I saw on one of your socials that you weren't able to shoot on ride pov footage at the time. Do you know if that will be coming from either you or the park in the future?

We were told no POVs because the park didn't want to give away the ride. So I guess whoever is the first person to sneak their phone on and get a crappy shaky cam video of the ride will be the one that showcases the attraction!

Edited by robbalvey

Great review! It definitely sounds like a fun ride, but it's going to be hard riding this and not thinking of the awesome ride that once stood in its place.

That's a bummer the theming elements are so brief since the animatronics looked awesome in the updates prior to its opening. You think the park would want to show them off.

Sounds about like what I was expecting aside from the lack of theming, though as construction progressed it did start to look like most of the ride would be outdoors and be continously moving rather than slowing down for show scenes. That's a shame.

I definitely want to ride but it'll be tough not to lament about the loss of DD. I was fortunate enough to get to ride it A TON back in its glory days when they still dueled. At its prime, absolutely a top 10 coaster. RIP!

Looks fun and there's no doubt it'll be very popular and successful. Still insane to think they just bulldozed two perfectly good B&M inverts though. Speaks to how much of a cash cow Potter really is for them.

One question, is there no pre-show or backstory in the queue? I really thought this ride was going to tell a story. But you only see Hagrid, I assume in his hut, for 5 seconds? I'm not a Potter fan but I do like a ride that tells a good story.

Thanks for the review, Robb! Appreciate the openness and honesty about the ride experience. All of my Orlando friends keep saying that the coaster is “WAY more intense than anyone expected” and “the park is considering dropping ‘family’ coaster from marketing materials.” But I think most of them enjoy riding the hype train or have forgotten what an intense coaster feels like. Lol

One question, is there no pre-show or backstory in the queue? I really thought this ride was going to tell a story. But you only see Hagrid, I assume in his hut, for 5 seconds? I'm not a Potter fan but I do like a ride that tells a good story.

Ahh, yes... I forgot to post it. During the day when I shot the queue walk-through, they had the pre-show room closed because they were doing interviews with the film celebrities, but in the evening I did film it...

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew] Edited by robbalvey

I followed along on the socials too, but really enjoyed re-looking at your coverage here in one post.

biggest eye-opener for me is that the "bike-seat" really is just a pretty standard coaster seat designed to look like a bike. I was thinking it would be more akin to a moto-coaster, or pony-express seat. Those are pretty standard on some Disc-O's now, so a little surprised they went for a standard seat configuration. tho it does LOOK fantastic themed wise.

I'm not a big Potter film fan, but I did really enjoy the books (starting with the 2nd one, the first one was a bit too young for me. . but gotta read it to know the characters so I plowed thru it in a night). So I'm sure I'd recognize some of the stuff, but not a lot if most of it is based on the films - several of which I've still not yet seen.

it does look like it's a fun experience, just for the low lying track. shame they didn't do more outdoor theming, and slowdowns to enjoy the theming they DO have on the ride.

but I'm sure it will do gangbusters for them, drawing in more folks with such a heavy tie to the Potterverse.

thanks again for the coverage.

I followed along on the socials too, but really enjoyed re-looking at your coverage here in one post.

biggest eye-opener for me is that the "bike-seat" really is just a pretty standard coaster seat designed to look like a bike. I was thinking it would be more akin to a moto-coaster, or pony-express seat. Those are pretty standard on some Disc-O's now, so a little surprised they went for a standard seat configuration. tho it does LOOK fantastic themed wise.

Honestly, I think unless both sides were bike style, I think a half and half would cause chaos for the groupers and slow down the queue because you'd end up with a bunch of people probably wanting 'bike style' after waiting in line or even some groups of friends maybe breaking up to a row each to ride the bikes instead of together.

Thanks for your review of the attraction, Robb.

From what you posted, I get the feeling that Universal is trying to do something that Disney liked to do with his large scale attractions. That is.... Have a lot going on, so you have to come back and see more of it. Repeat rides.

But I think Universal has done a kind of reverse on this. With the coaster going so fast at key points to actually see specific stuff, they figure you'll probably come back to actually see what's there, now that you know (roughly) where everything is, etc.

It shouldn't be that way, especially if some people go on it,

and they only have one chance to ride it (one-day touring schedules).

My 5 cents.