TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Now seeing Steel Curtain in person I can not wait to ride this!!

Sunday was a good day at the park weather and crowd wise.

Only down falls were every coaster using one train and the staff was not very friendly for the most part. They seemed very disorganized. They kept scurrying around asking their supervisors what rides they should be on. I figure they would be scheduled.

The girl running the Whip could not have moved any slower... then proceeded to talk to the guy at the entrance of Exterminator for about 5 minutes before starting a new cycle.

I'll probably wait for them to get 2-3 new attractions before coming back here.

Have they made anymore progress on the track install? Seems to have come to a standstill which I don't understand since the weather is generally nice now.

If the new track isn't finished then there may not be new track to install

Have they made anymore progress on the track install? Seems to have come to a standstill which I don't understand since the weather is generally nice now.

I have seen pictures that show work was done last week. It looks like the other tower is complete and both tracks are installed inside the tower. They just need to finish the roll on the sea serpent and the track above. Hopefully another week and well see it finished.

I'm planning a trip for next year and wanting to go to Kennywood as part of that trip. I was wondering about the VIP Coaster Tours (https://www.kennywood.com/VIPCoasterTours) and haven't seen any recent information in this thread on them, so I was hoping some of the locals could help me out here.

How does the "Coasters and Thrills Plus Tour" work? From what I've read through this thread it sounds like you just go up the ADA/exit and they take care of you, is that right? Are they still assigning rows? And if we did that tour, is one day enough for plenty of re-rides on our favorites?

I'm planning a trip for next year and wanting to go to Kennywood as part of that trip. I was wondering about the VIP Coaster Tours (https://www.kennywood.com/VIPCoasterTours) and haven't seen any recent information in this thread on them, so I was hoping some of the locals could help me out here.

How does the "Coasters and Thrills Plus Tour" work? From what I've read through this thread it sounds like you just go up the ADA/exit and they take care of you, is that right? Are they still assigning rows? And if we did that tour, is one day enough for plenty of re-rides on our favorites?

I did the coaster tour last year. I recall Phantom & Racer were walk-ons via heading up the exit ramp, and Thunderbolt was a merge in the station with the regular line. It did save a lot of time on a crowded Saturday. The only bummer was that a middle car was reserved on Phantom for the VIPs -- we weren't able to get the front or back. I don't know if it's changed this year or will change next year. Unless you go on a Saturday and/or a coaster's only running one train, most waits are usually 15-40 min. But who knows what kind of line Steel Curtain will have?

You'll probably be fine going to the park and just seeing how busy it is early in the day before buying the VIP tour. A full lot and crowded entrance = busy. The passes are sold right in front of Garfield. One day should be enough for multiple re-rides, and I recommend the dark rides & rare flats, too.

I did the coaster tour last year. I recall Phantom & Racer were walk-ons via heading up the exit ramp, and Thunderbolt was a merge in the station with the regular line. It did save a lot of time on a crowded Saturday. The only bummer was that a middle car was reserved on Phantom for the VIPs -- we weren't able to get the front or back. I don't know if it's changed this year or will change next year. Unless you go on a Saturday and/or a coaster's only running one train, most waits are usually 15-40 min. But who knows what kind of line Steel Curtain will have?

You'll probably be fine going to the park and just seeing how busy it is early in the day before buying the VIP tour. A full lot and crowded entrance = busy. The passes are sold right in front of Garfield. One day should be enough for multiple re-rides, and I recommend the dark rides & rare flats, too.

Thanks for the info! We were looking at weekdays, so I think we'll be good with just one day and waiting to buy the tour package.

^ I've visited during limited hours early in the season and had the water rides, some flats, and several food stands closed. Since they no longer have a flume, I know the last part doesn't bother you anymore.

The good thing is that I've never seen them close a coaster. Just keep in mind Kennywood will move their closing time (sometimes with little notice) and they close queues early.

Also you should pray it's packed so they run the sky ride from the top parking lot to the main entrance.

477866939_KennysParkway.thumb.JPG.528a472c58db2394292fa6f4852d89f1.JPG

Question: If we plan to stop by on Labor Day weekend, how much of a concern should this “Limited operations” thing be? Is it best to avoid it?

as long as "Garfield's Nightmare" is running, you'll get the full Kennywood "WTF" experience.

we loved it - we didn't understand it (and oh, that smell in there). . but we loved it.

I went during limited operations last year, and it was mainly that they didn't do the VIP unlimited, and the lines were stupid long and slow for everything. Some of the food locations were closed too, including the biergarten. No beer man at all that day. Still got to ride everything except Exterminator and Sky Rocket, which were closed for other reasons, but man it was a rough experience.

I get that you're probably going then because of work schedules, so don't let that stop you. You'll have a good time (but maybe pack a case of Yuengling in case the beer man is MIA).