TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ride Forces

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

That has nothing to do with what Elissa said. Not every app is available on every phone. Most important may be working with 99% of all Android phones. But they have to be programmed for working with different phones and UIs

• 2 weeks later...

i did a few rides today at SFMM. i used my apple watch. but the app crashes every time i try to open the saved ride. but, here are some screen shots from twisted colossus. the app seems to really work great.

check out all the ejector!

fullsizeoutput_413e.jpeg.5deb493456531ab560c022a5c9bb33d9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_413f.jpeg.7eaf28cc92a8ecf7103b5c3e47d7e1de.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4140.jpeg.76b3f3ab2a81877aaf4f2865c85a5d52.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4141.jpeg.df1e8ea007abfb8a052d1e48d9a67499.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4142.jpeg.2e9ebd6f79777a99c5e49e460d68751e.jpeg

here are a couple more. Drop of Doom and Scream.

Drop of Doom had a couple weird bumps going up. I guess that's why it shows 3 airtime moments. Or it could have been something at the end of the drop by looking at the graph.

Hope to get some Knott's rides next week.

fullsizeoutput_4143.jpeg.2fcd3535294fe1e1944505b8892b1d18.jpeg

Drop of Doom

fullsizeoutput_4144.jpeg.6ce692b070a37483d817e2815d3ea739.jpeg

Drop of Doom

fullsizeoutput_4146.jpeg.16137dec7f754baa9dbb831ddaa131dc.jpeg

Scream

fullsizeoutput_4147.jpeg.31e4db90e4013cd4a04cb524551accc2.jpeg

Scream

fullsizeoutput_4148.jpeg.2ac54c0e2a862999ff79df16e4afc7c7.jpeg

Scream

fullsizeoutput_4149.jpeg.1b541392f660af5e551533949c43bfa3.jpeg

Scream

i did a few rides today at SFMM. i used my apple watch. but the app crashes every time i try to open the saved ride. but, here are some screen shots from twisted colossus. the app seems to really work great.

[attachment=2]fullsizeoutput_4140.jpeg[/attachment]

Interesting that zero hangtime registered on Twisted Colossus...

But super cool app!

Corkscrew.jpg.57819b2048b57d1568de0afd549b00a3.jpg

fullsizeoutput_414b.thumb.jpeg.3204e0f5ea4a44256842d9c3348c9209.jpeg

^Recounting with the POV's, there are 23 drops/inversions on Twisted Colossus...not including the little pre-lift bumps, some of which are kind of forceful. I believe it!

I guess if the app counts inversions, transitions, and the pre-lift hops I could see how it would draw that number. Now I really want to see Steel Vengeance

I tried it out on my iPhone XS in my zippered pocket today on Reese's and Kisses Triple Tower, but every time I try to look at the detailed results, the app crashes and takes me out of the app and back to my home screen. I checked to see if it is the latest version and it is.

Hi all. I wanted to share an app I’ve been working on for the past year or so with Coastin Eric that I hope coaster enthusiasts like ourselves might find interesting.

This is awesome! I don't have an iPhone or Apple Watch, but it's so cool to see the graphs you guys are posting.

Have you considered plotting altitude vs time, color-coded by -- or overlaid with -- the force data? That would give a sort of stretched-out track profile.

^ You were at Hersheypark and didn't think to use the app on the big rides?

I went to the park mainly to check out construction and go for a walk for an hour, maybe ride something or two, then head home to go to work. They only had a 5 minute wait and I was near them when I thought about trying the app out and everything had a longer wait than that I had time for.

did a quick run through Knott's today. the data seems a little less impressive today. also, i again cannot open the new rides transferred to the phone from my watch. but, the old rides still open up fine. so here are some watch screenshots.

fullsizeoutput_4158.jpeg.a3eed3de5494493c4109119c853b1cdd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4159.jpeg.23d2770a0c031751d40bc9c2495b8e38.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_415a.jpeg.48371918857d7088beb144bdcabae61b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_415b.jpeg.99aa74908fc2609f5491fe2d82222514.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_415c.jpeg.2d537ab87ef7681a6ea786ff2aacd2cb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_415d.jpeg.4dfc5bc4a8bef173e6a2f95d0c6451a0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_415e.jpeg.836a70c0ecd0726c7f5200743dec92df.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_415f.jpeg.c52372c638c4bf86eda122bb88b9d8ec.jpeg

did a quick run through Knott's today.

Ha! I did the same thing today. The park was pretty quiet, but there was some tween convention taking place, so the shriek factor was kind of high. My ears are still ringing.

First time trying the app, but figured I'd give it a shot and report back the results. The phone app isn't working for me either (it just crashes and shuts down), so here are the watch screen grabs compiled. Some interesting results.

895629395_ScreenShot2019-05-14at4_45_13PM.thumb.png.86d26d2711bd2585ec8fb7fc11b67892.png

Knott's "Ride Forces" Results

did a quick run through Knott's today.

Ha! I did the same thing today. The park was pretty quiet, but there was some tween convention taking place, so the shriek factor was kind of high. My ears are still ringing.

First time trying the app, but figured I'd give it a shot and report back the results. The phone app isn't working for me either (it just crashes and shuts down), so here are the watch screen grabs compiled. Some interesting results.

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 4.45.13 PM.png[/attachment]

yeah, yours is kind of all over the place like mine. i dunno, maybe something got messed up with the recent update. my sfmm rides i thought were pretty good with few questionable data points.

Any idea what the typical margin of error on this app is?
Two years ago I downloaded this app called sensor play because it can measure G's as well and one issue is its a pain to define G's based on which direction the phone is facing, which produced some weird results. Its entirely possibly he figured out a good way to keep track of this and if that's the case it should be pretty accurate. I'm going to CP tomorrow and I'll analyze the app myself and see if I notice anything that hints at it's accuracy.

EDIT: As long as your phone or watch doesn't jostle too much it should actually be pretty accurate. It sounds like it calibrates based on the assumption that it figures out which direction is up in relation to the phone, and as long as the phone doesn't move too much it should be pretty accurate.

Sorry I went MIA for a while. I'll give an update here about what's been going on with the app and try to answer some of the questions that were brought up.

First things first, during the Apple's app review process they determined that the app's use of the workout and heart rate features were not a valid use case because the app isn't primarily used for fitness. I tried to make my case but they ultimately decided those features needed to be removed. This means several features on the watch have been lost including inversions, hangtime, altitude and heart rate. I hope there is a way to bring them back at some point in the future which will depend on if Apple decides to open up these APIs for more use cases.

Thanks to everyone for their patience while I was working this out. The latest update should help prevent most of the crashes you were experiencing.

For those seeing weird data, MiABeta's explanation is quite accurate. The Apple Watch app attempts to calibrate the down direction a few seconds after you start the ride, which is then used to extract the force only along the vertical axis. You can edit this calibration point when you edit a ride on your phone. I hope to use similar calculations in the future to show lateral and longitudinal forces.

If your device moves around too much during the ride it can throw this off. In that case you can always disable vertical force calculation and view the forces from all 3 axis combined into one. This is still pretty accurate for positive forces but can't detect negative g's (but it can show zero-g or floater air).

As far as overall accuracy, the results seem pretty close to what I'd expect. I do apply filtering to the data to avoid spikes that occur especially on rougher rides.

Thanks everyone for trying out the app and for the feedback. I hope to keep making improvements.

I stopped by SFMM yesterday and tried the app out. I had my phone in my pocket, using a clip to secure it to my pocket so it didn’t jostle around.

It’s interesting that Revolution pulls higher G’s than Tatsu. Tatsu’s pretzel loop feels like it’s trying to flatten you. But maybe it’s the flying position that makes it feel more intense than in the sitting position.

Overall, this is a really cool app!

9b98d354018ea3367a8536d9c4ee79ba.jpg

009c902799ed2584f461b31436d20354.jpg

291110dcc2f3a096a9cb921275bee715.jpg

b60899ab4cec8b6192e59e32cd9c8692.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First things first, during the Apple's app review process they determined that the app's use of the workout and heart rate features were not a valid use case because the app isn't primarily used for fitness. I tried to make my case but they ultimately decided those features needed to be removed. This means several features on the watch have been lost including inversions, hangtime, altitude and heart rate. I hope there is a way to bring them back at some point in the future which will depend on if Apple decides to open up these APIs for more use cases.

Just a suggestion, but Google doesn't have such nonsensical restrictions for Android, and even if they don't allow it on the store, you can always publish it independently.