TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Yep, it can close that early. It closed at 12:30PM on Sunday due to the weather.

If the forecast continues to look shaky come Friday, best thing you can do is follow the park on Twitter. They're pretty good about publishing any early closing times on there.

^If I can marathon on El Toro like I did Nitro during holiday in the park it will be worth it

Except when I visit I typically don't even arrive until closer to one, and the park is a 3 hour drive from where I live

Yep, it can close that early. It closed at 12:30PM on Sunday due to the weather.

I was actually joking about the noon thing. I thought I was being a little extreme, but apparently not!

I was actually joking about the noon thing. I thought I was being a little extreme, but apparently not!

To be fair, there were maybe fewer than 15 cars in the parking lot by that point (based on photos). I think it would've been wiser to just not open outright, but the park did that the previous weekend already, and, in the interest of not doing that on consecutive weekends, may have been a bit too optimistic that the weather would clear up.

Even with bad weather, I think they will be open most of the day on Friday. There are regular school trips, Music in the Parks competitions and possibly Physics Day as well (used to be every Friday in April and May). Maybe they won’t stay open until 9 if it storms since the school groups usually leave in the late afternoon.

I did end up taking a trip to the park today, and the weather was actually really nice. I made sure to marathon on Toro as much as I could before the park got somewhat busy . I will say that ride never gets old I guess I take it for granted a bit as it's at my home park and I've been riding it since it opened, but nonetheless by now everyone knows how great it is. I will say though I do think the turnaround needs to be retracked next. While I do enjoy the old school Woodie feeling on the airtime hills, that turnaround is starting to get a little painful. The other coasters were running well and the lines weren't too bad. Another random note is that the more I ride Batman this year the more I notice how welded up it is. Now I know ride maintenance and welding is normal, but Batman just looks like it's literally been welded together everywhere this year. I just hope this is a sign that the park is keeping up on its maintenance and not a sign that old age is starting to kick in. I remember towards the end of my beloved Scream Machines life it too required a lot of welding. In other news the finishing touches are being put on Wonder Woman with workers working on what appeared to be the lighting package today. All in all a good day although the lines for security are a bit outrageous this year I hope in the future it can be expanded to cut down on wait times as the time to get in the park is now way longer than most other parks I have been to. Oh and I almost forgot I finally decided to ride Cyborg today, decent ride it's very interesting to watch the ride move while you are in it. I'll be back next week for Wonder Woman and to get my PIN!!!

Hope you guys enjoy my trip reports! I know they aren't much, but I try to provide them as frequently as possible!

IMG_20190517_122355.thumb.jpg.a74a9be0cef447418135b7a80fbc7679.jpg

El Toro, looking beautiful as usual. Weird afterthought, I love watching the wood age every year

IMG_20190517_122728.thumb.jpg.6fc27aea366b1513bd792e210234dbc0.jpg

Having been on a decent amount of floorless coasters at this point, Bizzaro still remains one of my favorites and is very smooth

IMG_20190517_125531.thumb.jpg.6b05eb262828f4ecbe3782540c26e6e1.jpg

The required shot, unfortunately spiderman happened to swing by as I was taking this photo and his web got in the way

IMG_20190517_131541.thumb.jpg.65fce9c8438b870398e35bf217832288.jpg

Always a fun and snappy invert, a ride on Batman was required. Notice the welding on the track though I see it on many rides, but none in particular as much as Batman

IMG_20190517_132749.thumb.jpg.b4533fc06f15c7b1d5c9959541a81be8.jpg

The final touches are being placed on Wonder Woman in preparation for the rides opening next week

IMG_20190517_133202.thumb.jpg.eda8a69bb3ab6859b6d34139f9dbf76b.jpg

Six flag's most explosive coaster is always a must ride and also my favorite B&M hyper

IMG_20190517_143354.thumb.jpg.b407221a77cb49e640157fd0efc3d9e2.jpg

I find Green Lantern to provide the best rides in the back row surprisingly and it can actually be quite enjoyable, but I can never forgive it for replacing my beloved Scream Machine

IMG_20190517_135622.thumb.jpg.c21133b1c181fe0d349efe035bc3db10.jpg

I'm glad this classic is still here, although I do miss being able to rise right up past the top of Scream Machine

IMG_20190517_144230.thumb.jpg.aa75a54dba2a93406db422fa1567a526.jpg

And finally, it looks like the repaint on Superman is complete

^It really is getting rather faded, but I think the clouds could play a part in making it look so faded in that picture, as there is no filter on it. It is a bit strange comparing pictures of 2006 El Toro to 2019 El Toro, thankfully the ride itself is still amazing

Nitro is screaming for a paintjob.

Everything in the park needs a paint job, especially Nitro. IMO they should paint it red with black supports, yellow+pink+blue is an awful color combo

Nitro is screaming for a paintjob.

Everything in the park needs a paint job, especially Nitro. IMO they should paint it red with black supports, yellow+pink+blue is an awful color combo

I've always liked the paint scheme on Nitro, something about the pink adds a flare to it. I feel like if/when Six Flags repaints it, they'll just go for yellow and blue and eliminate the accent color.

^I really hope when the time comes Nitro gets a full repaint in the original color scheme it's such a unique paint job and when it was new it really looked awesome. Nitro is still one of Great Adventure's stars and deserves only the best, but then again this is six flags we are talking about .

So I am going to be in Philly in a few days.

Am debating ubering up to the park on Wednesday. At best I'll only be able to get there by 3. So I'll have at most 5 hours at the park. I assume I wont be able to ride everything but I want to ride El Toro with rerides, KK and Nitro at a minimum.

Considering it looks like a $150 minimum 2 hour round trip plus the ticket cost, I am worried about the ROI. Does anyone here have any immediate concerns about my idea (i.e. school groups, ride closures, etc.)?

Wednesday is my only possible day. I'm also willing to listen to ideas about cheaper ways to get there.

Is renting a car an option at all?

You can take a train to Trenton and an uber and it will be cheaper, but time is of the essence so if anything I would only worry about that on the return trip because it takes more time out of an already short day. People have also had issues getting Ubers from the park on occasion because it's in the middle of nowhere.

Know a decent rental place in downtown Philly?

I'm not opposed to renting, I just can't leave Philly until 2pm so I'm trying to maximize my time at the park. But if a car can cut my price in half I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of time. Of course then I have to take parking into account. I do have a lead foot.

My other reasoning for an Uber is that I enjoy a beer or 3 but idk what the beer situation at the park is.

Skyrush is closed. Go to Great Adventure. It’s closer anyway.

Is there no way that you can just pick up the car ahead of time so it’s ready to go at 2:00 on Wednesday? Considering how much you’re prepared to spend on Uber I feel like even if you pay for an extra day it’s worth it for the convenience. Rental cars from PHL are like 26 bucks a day.

Look into a Six Flags membership. It’s dirt cheap.

Good to know, makes my decision easier.

I am staying near the convention center so it would be like 50 bucks to park the thing.

That being said looks like I can get a car near the bus station for 60 bucks so thanks for the advice.

I live in KC so nowhere near a decent SF and it's highly unlikely I'll visit another one this year but I'll do some more digging. How much is daily parking at the park?