TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Accidental death at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Schlitterbahn water park in Kansas City appears unlikely to open

5c4c647101646.image.jpg

KANSAS CITY, KS (AP) -- A Kansas water park where a 10-year-old boy was decapitated isn't hiring lifeguards, advertising or selling tickets with less than a month left before its typical Memorial Day weekend opening date, underlining speculation that it could be put up for sale.

Schlitterbahn remains mum on its plans, but has largely removed reference from its website about the park in Kansas City, Kansas, where Caleb Schwab was killed in 2016 when the raft he was riding on the 17-story Verruckt slide went airborne and hit a metal pole. Verruckt - German for "crazy" - never reopened and was torn down last year. Season tickets have been on sale for months for Schlitterbahn's four Texas locations, but not the Kansas park.

"Schlitterbahn has not informed us of their plans, but we are assuming they are not opening this summer," said Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas, spokesman Mike Taylor. "We are hopeful that Schlitterbahn will come under new ownership and branding, and will open next summer."

Speculation about a potential sale was fueled by mortgage lender, EPR Properties, announcing last week that Schlitterbahn is expected to pay off its approximately $190 million loan on the property soon. EPR chief executive Gary Silvers told analysts on a conference call about its first-quarter earnings that Schlitterbahn is working with an undisclosed third-party lender on the deal.

Schlitterbahn spokeswoman Winter Prosapio declined to comment on the Kansas park's future, including whether it would open.

"Schlitterbahn is a privately held company and does not comment on financials," she said in an email. "Our Texas parks are off to a strong start for the 2019 season, but we have no news to share about our KC property at this time."

EPR said in a previous filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission that it agreed to advance Schlitterbahn additional amounts under the mortgage. The filing noted an offseason shortfall and the cost of legal issues stemming from Caleb's death during a special day for elected officials and their families. Caleb's father, Scott Schwab, then a state lawmaker, was elected Kansas secretary of state last year. With his urging, lawmakers voted to strengthen the state's relatively lax oversight of amusement park rides.

Caleb's family received nearly $20 million in settlements, and two women who were seriously injured while riding with him settled for an undisclosed amount.

Prosecutors also filed criminal charges against Schlitterbahn co-owner Jeff Henry, the designer of Verruckt, the park's operations manager and two maintenance workers, alleging that shoddy planning and maintenance led to Caleb's death. But the maintenance workers were acquitted in October, and a judge dismissed charges against the other three in January citing improper evidence.

One issue was that grand jurors were shown clips from a Travel Channel television show documenting construction of the Verruckt, in which Henry and others emphasized the risks to riders on a raft dropping 17 stories before climbing a second, 50-foot (15.24-meter) hump. Defense attorneys argued the video didn't show how the ride actually worked and that prosecutors didn't properly explain to the jury that it was a dramatization. The video showed boats flying up in a similar manner to how Caleb died.

Charges of drug possession and hiring someone for sex also are pending against Henry in a neighboring Kansas county.

Taylor, the Wyandotte County official, said the big issue is having an abandoned water park in a bustling tourist area that includes the Kansas Speedway race track, the Sporting Kansas City soccer stadium and a busy shopping area.

"From the Unified Government's perspective we would love to see the park open in the future and be a viable tourist attraction."

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press.

Link

... good

PS: In other news, despite the fact that the AG screwed up on the Schlitterbahn case, a few months ago the judge found probable cause that Jeff Henry was selling meth and hiring prostitutes. I know he got off on a technicality and these charges aren't nearly as severe but I really want to see this dude in jail.

Edited by coasterbill

This whole situation is rough. I fondly remember watching those Discovery / Travel Channel specials and the number one waterpark was always a Schlitterbahn park.

Schlitterbahn water park in Kansas City appears unlikely to open

... good

Hate to see any park close. The effect on the local economy, especially the younger summer workers. Not to mention the loss of the activity (getting kids today outside and moving).

New management. Revamp the safety program.

Eh, I don’t care. If the local economy takes a hit that’s a shame but this place should not be in business. Plus... if the local economy takes a hit and nobody has money then Jeff Henry will need to drop his meth prices and anything that takes money out of his pocket is good.

The effect on the local economy, especially the younger summer workers. Not to mention the loss of the activity (getting kids today outside and moving)

So by your logic any community without a water park means teens don't have summer jobs and they don't ever go outside? #dumb #stupid #Idiocracy

Edited by robbalvey

Plus, not only is that dumb but even if you subscribe to that dumb theory it should be noted that Oceans of Fun at Worlds of Fun is like 20 miles away and they don’t give free tickets to human traffickers.

What part of new management was missed? I never read much about problems with the park until the death. Seemed to have lots of fun, safe rides.

Great that people have another option.

I didn't when the "local" park (an hour away) closed due to poor management. Next closest was 3+ hrs and we never went.

Affected a lot in the area. Summer jobs both at the park and other businesses the depended on the visitors.

Plus, not only is that dumb but even if you subscribe to that dumb theory it should be noted that Oceans of Fun at Worlds of Fun is like 20 miles away and they don’t give free tickets to human traffickers.

What part of new management was missed?

What part of me thinking your entire post was stupid was missed?

I didn't when the "local" park (an hour away) closed due to poor management. Next closest was 3+ hrs and we never went.

Affected a lot in the area. Summer jobs both at the park and other businesses the depended on the visitors.

Yes, we read your post. Thought it was dumb. Didn't need for you to re-post it like as though we didn't actually read it.

There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between Visionland closing, which is the only park of its size in the area for miles, and a smaller-sized water park in an area that has similar attractions nearby.

I "get" that maybe you just don't know enough about what you're talking about, and that's fine, but please do not treat the people who DO like they are idiots.

Thanks.

Edited by robbalvey

• 1 month later...
^ other States keep passing on taking Ted Cruz off our hands tho. .

Yeah but youre also trying to give us Beto.

Beto will be dropping out soon anyways. . but at least he's not as creepy at Ted. . LOL

• 11 months later...

Sorry if there would be a better place for this, but I couldn't find a page for the Schlitterbahn New Braunfels location.

Has anyone had any luck reserving a visit to Schlitterbahn New Braunfels with a Platinum Pass on their online reservation system? It seems like it's set up to accept the Schlitterbahn specific season pass, which has a 14 digit barcode as opposed to the 20 digit ticket number and 8 digit identifier on the back of the Platinum Pass.

The Schlitterbahn New Braunfels site lists a contact number, but it goes to voicemail after a few rings and they haven't responded to an email sent last week. So out of curiosity, I called the Galveston location and got right through, but they had no clue what Cedar Fair or a Platinum Pass even was.

I didn't have luck either, but I did read on their page somewhere that their systems have not been converted so you have to call or contact them. We were going to stay at the resort, and since they are only allowing one visit from pass holders, it seemed a way around it, if you are staying on site and willing to pay, is to pay a little more for the stay and play package that guarantees tickets each day you are in the resort, starting with the next day of the overnight stay (ie. Tuesday if you check in Monday.). In principal it doesn't seem we should have to pay, but on the other hand, to come all that way and only be allowed in once, I figured I should just pay the upcharge. It isn't very much and the rooms are relatively cheap from "usual" pricing.

^ That's true about the hotels since I'd need to book one anyway, but in principle I just want to redeem a perk that's included on my Platinum Pass. I'm hoping they eventually respond to the emails I sent, but I'll keep their hotel in mind.

When CF introduced the multi-park aspect of their better pass years ago, I traveled the country with my daughter and had to hassle with each and every guest services office at the other parks to use it...system not compatible. That pass is sold explicitly as valid at Schlitterbahn. If they don't respond to your polite email requesting a reservation I would politely email corporate.

It might be better to start a new thread rather than asking questions about water park season passes in a thread created after a ten year old boy sheared his head off. I mean... I'm just sayin.