TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weight Management Support/Enouragement thread

bert425

Well I'm going to eat more fruits and veggies (I get the frozen veggies and cook them, can't stand raw veggies) and stuff like more bran cereal.

If I half to, I'll go on Nutrisystem for Men.

As for going out to eat, it's very likely I won't even do Mother's Day brunch, I'm not psychologically up to eating out yet.

despite it being my Birthday week, for the most part I behaved.

we did go to Brazillian Steakhouse, where I way overate (but mostly meats/protein), and I only had one (giant, but one) piece of Birthday cake - a Red Velvet 1 layer. Then yesterday spent day at Six Flags Fiesta Texas. . but at least had a salad with my meal plan (still almost 1000 calories, but other than that and an Icee, I only had Pineapple all day yesterday. . so still kept the calorie count low)

but I stuck with no soda, no fast food, and kept up my walking every day (minimum 40 minutes/maximum 1:10).

and today weighed in at 206.2

so yeah, not as much as I've been losing - have been averaging ~3 lbs per week, and this is just under 2 lbs. but OK, still going in the correct direction, and means that in April, i have dropped ~12 lbs.

so I guess that's good.

about to go pig out on Sushi, but that's not too bad . . and besides, eating it for lunch, so have whole day to digest.

I am also on Keto. I've been going strong for 50 days and I am down 30 pounds! I am so excited. For the first time in years I have a 2 in front of my weight. I am going to keep it up through the summer and hopefully by August I can fit on Fury 325!

^^ agreed congrats!

as to me:

it's been a difficult week for me in terms of staying on plan, as I went to see Avengers at Alamo Drafthouse, and way overdid it with Thanos Burger (double meat patty with several types of cheese), and a Salted Caramel milkshake.

I mean, it could have been worse - I did swap out the fries for fruit, and drank water instead of soda/tea.

but that was on Wed - then on Friday, we had a company celebration, where i tried to stick to proteins (shrimp, tuna/salmon bites, Roast Beef) and veggies..but did give in and have a slice of cake and a cupcake on top of it.

then yesterday, we met up with friends who have birthdays between mine and yesterday, and we ended up at Serrano's for Mexican food (on Cinco de Star Wars, instead of today ). . . so ate too many chips, and had a Mexican Martini.

(but at least ordered chicken / pork fajitas and only ate 1/2 (the other 1/2 will be for lunch tomorrow), and again, drank water.

so it's not really the issue of what I'm eating, but rather the quantity of it.. I ate way more of the Serranos food than I should of, even with taking 1/2 home, as I was full but kept eating.

avoiding the scale until next weekend to not make myself crazy.

and looking on the bright side:

1) I DID stick to my "no sodas" rule, only drinking water, even when out (and even tho I had a milkshake and a cocktail during the week. .at least no soda). Technically I stuck to the "no fast food" rule too, as even tho I had a burger, it was at a restaurant, not a drive thru.

2) I DID stick with my exercise, so every day, I still did between 45-1:05 minute walk (either outside or on treadmill)

3) checking my blood pressure today at the Grocery Store, it came in at 117/76. . .so not only "normal" as considered standard, but also well under the 140/100 my Doctor wants me to stay under. This is without any BP meds, that I've been off of for almost 3 years at this point.

so I guess it's been a "win" week, even tho I feel hugely fat.

Ok.. got on the scale today, since heading to Houston to visit my Dad (who's recovering from shoulder surgery on Wednesday, and already had to be moved to a solo room, closer to the Nurses' station in the rehab center, since he's still very confused and is wandering up and down the hallways naked. . . oy)

so expecting I'll be eating way off plan for the weekend.

but:

started back on plan on 4/1 at 218

1st check in was on 4/14 at 211.6

2nd check in was on 4/22 at 208.2

3rd check in was on 4/28 at 206.2

(followed by a week of "bad" eating, including a double hamburger at Avengers. . so waited until today to do next weigh in).

and today, 5/10, came in at: 201.8 lbs.

so a loss of 16.2 lbs in 6 weeks. I'm pleased with that, tho cannot wait to be in the 190's and hopefully can manage that by end of May!

that's my status.

bert

I'm still on a plateau; I've been cheating for way too long (it started with the holidays, then things got super stressful in our family, so it has continued....).

However, all my bloodwork came back perfect, so that's good. Got a tilt table exam and echocardiogram scheduled next week. Hopefully everything turns out okay; I've been having this weird feeling whenever I stand up from sitting where I can feel one of my veins in my neck pumping so hard it feels like it's closing my airway and I end up catching my breath. Really weird, so gotta get that figured out.

At least my blood pressure was excellent (120/88)... I'm just extra worried about my health 'cause my grandma had a massive stroke in late February, and it was because her blood pressure went so high (she was freaking out about trying to get her house cleaned up for my grandpa to come home from rehab after he broke his hip and had to have surgery).....

And I asked my mom about what year it was my grandma had her first stroke, and when my mom told me, I did the calculations for the first time in my life and realized she was only a year or so older than I am currently when she had her stroke. And that was a stress-caused one, too.

So, I'm trying my best to keep up on taking my pills (for anxiety and depression, amongst others) and just allowing myself to cheat on my "diet" because I feel like I need it right now to just be able to chill.

Ok.. got on the scale today, since heading to Houston to visit my Dad (who's recovering from shoulder surgery on Wednesday, and already had to be moved to a solo room, closer to the Nurses' station in the rehab center, since he's still very confused and is wandering up and down the hallways naked. . . oy)

so expecting I'll be eating way off plan for the weekend.

but:

started back on plan on 4/1 at 218

1st check in was on 4/14 at 211.6

2nd check in was on 4/22 at 208.2

3rd check in was on 4/28 at 206.2

(followed by a week of "bad" eating, including a double hamburger at Avengers. . so waited until today to do next weigh in).

and today, 5/10, came in at: 201.8 lbs.

so a loss of 16.2 lbs in 6 weeks. I'm pleased with that, tho cannot wait to be in the 190's and hopefully can manage that by end of May!

that's my status.

bert

That is awesome man! Congrats! You are in prime coaster riding condition! The next step is to lose 1.9 pounds so you can see that 1 in front of you weight!

I'm still on a plateau; I've been cheating for way too long (it started with the holidays, then things got super stressful in our family, so it has continued....).

However, all my bloodwork came back perfect, so that's good. Got a tilt table exam and echocardiogram scheduled next week. Hopefully everything turns out okay; I've been having this weird feeling whenever I stand up from sitting where I can feel one of my veins in my neck pumping so hard it feels like it's closing my airway and I end up catching my breath. Really weird, so gotta get that figured out.

At least my blood pressure was excellent (120/88)... I'm just extra worried about my health 'cause my grandma had a massive stroke in late February, and it was because her blood pressure went so high (she was freaking out about trying to get her house cleaned up for my grandpa to come home from rehab after he broke his hip and had to have surgery).....

And I asked my mom about what year it was my grandma had her first stroke, and when my mom told me, I did the calculations for the first time in my life and realized she was only a year or so older than I am currently when she had her stroke. And that was a stress-caused one, too.

So, I'm trying my best to keep up on taking my pills (for anxiety and depression, amongst others) and just allowing myself to cheat on my "diet" because I feel like I need it right now to just be able to chill.

We all slip up. Weight loss is not easy. When you slip up own it, but don't dwell on it and move on. I am on Keto and I slip up. Once I do I own it and try to get on my diet.

So, they weren't able to recreate my symptoms during the tilt table test, but my blood pressure kept skyrocketing while doing it. And then my echo came back okay except my left ventricle "ejection fraction" is in the 50-55% range when it's best if it's above 55%, so I have an appt with a cardiologist at the beginning of June. I just hope that when all these tests and appointments are over, the outcome will be that I am still able to ride rides, 'cause it would be super devastating to be told I have to skip coasters and stuff....

So, they weren't able to recreate my symptoms during the tilt table test, but my blood pressure kept skyrocketing while doing it. And then my echo came back okay except my left ventricle "ejection fraction" is in the 50-55% range when it's best if it's above 55%, so I have an appt with a cardiologist at the beginning of June. I just hope that when all these tests and appointments are over, the outcome will be that I am still able to ride rides, 'cause it would be super devastating to be told I have to skip coasters and stuff....

best of luck on the tests - I really hope all comes out ok, and you get the all clear!

Slowly dropping the weight I gained in the time after my grandfather's death

High at one point was 212; last time I weighed myself (I do so on Mondays) 204.

Another 15 until I'm comfortable eating out

Sorry for your loss, but congrats on the progress!

Despite some challenges this past week, managed to stick to my diet & exercise plan for the most part.

and weight this morning?

199.2 lbs.

So down ~19 lbs since April 1.

Ok, I realize I weighed after my walk, and before eating anything, and if I were to weigh after lunch, I'm sure it would go up a bit.

but still. . under 200 again! and only 14 lbs from where I'd like to be by Dragon*con in ~3 months. Seems very do-able!

so:

started back on plan on 4/1 at 218 lbs

1st check in was on 4/14 at 211.6 lbs

2nd check in was on 4/22 at 208.2 lbs

3rd check in was on 4/28 at 206.2 lbs

4th check in was on 5/10 at 201.8 lbs.

and today, 5/18: 199.2 lbs.

that's my status.

bert

Slowly dropping the weight I gained in the time after my grandfather's death

High at one point was 212; last time I weighed myself (I do so on Mondays) 204.

Another 15 until I'm comfortable eating out

Sorry for your loss, but congrats on the progress!

ditto for me too, Jason. Condolences on your loss, and congrats on the progress.

So I am excited. I went to Camden Park in WV yesterday. I didn't have to take the walk of shame one time. Although some of the rides were a tight fit! I am currently down about 38 pounds on keto. Also, I've went from a 48 to 42 waist. I went to the park in part because it is the only one in WV and I am here for another few months. But I also went as a preview to see how things would go at Dollywood next weekend. Hopefully by next week I am down 40-45 pounds!

Is there anyone here who partakes in the keto diet? I'm looking for some feedback from people who've given it the college try. I think it might be something I'd have a lot of success with - my cravings have always been centered around savory, fattier foods like meats, cheeses, etc, and lesser towards carbs and sweets (I don't really care for pasta, and though I like sweets, I can do without).

I've been dabbling with a very low-carb, high-fat diet for the last couple of days, but not completely "keto" (the leftovers I had from a few days ago, ground turkey w/ vegetables, had some carrots in it). I've been doing some research, but I'm trying to fight my tendency of getting overwhelmed with too much information and backing out from intimidation.

I've been doing keto. Not super-strict like some, but enough that I've lost about 35-40lbs doing it.

I have a sweet-tooth, but that's been taken care of with stuff like Coke Zero, Powerade Zero, and Orange Crush "water enhancer."

My daily goal is to be under 50g carbs for the day; I know there are others who go as low as 20g or lower for the day, but I can't manage that. I have IBS, and chicken and eggs are two of my main triggers, so it's harder for me to find recipes/food for keto that doesn't involve either of those. I don't mind cauliflower, and for a while there, I'd been eating sour cream & onion mashed cauliflower from Birds Eye, but... one night I ate more than I normally do, not thinking about the fact that garlic is listed in the ingredients, and... well.... garlic is another of my triggers. Let's just say that I can't look at or smell cauliflower without painful flashbacks now.

So, since then, I've been trying to eat stuff that's a bit simpler ingredient-wise. I'm also autistic, so I will/can eat the same meals every day for several months in a row. So, for the last half a year or so, my keto diet has been a pepperoni pizza lunchable for lunch and a quesadilla for dinner. LOL

^ Cool, thanks for the input. Part of my trepidation stems from the fact that I had my gallbladder taken out earlier this year, so I can no longer digest fats as effectively. I've found some articles on modifications for us gallbladderless folk, and that's helped reassure things. I really want to give this a shot, but my digestive issues have, uh... shown... in the last couple days of trying it out, so I'm gonna have to really take these modifications seriously.

most days this week involved eating leftovers from going out to dinner, or actually going out to dinner.

for example, my Fajita dinner on Sunday, lasted me thru Monday/Tues/Wed lunch too. . . so even tho not eating "great", at least I'm only eating a portion of my restaurant meal (tho it would be best if I DIDN'T eat out).

I *did* continue to exercise daily, and at least trending in the correct direction. . but would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that in 8 days, only dropped 1 lb.

but at least I'm at 20lbs lost exactly, and going in the correct direction:

so:

started back on plan on 4/1 at 218 lbs

1st check in was on 4/14 at 211.6 lbs

2nd check in was on 4/22 at 208.2 lbs

3rd check in was on 4/28 at 206.2 lbs

4th check in was on 5/10 at 201.8 lbs.

5th check in was on 5/18: 199.2 lbs.

and today, 5/26: 198 lbs.

that's my status.

bert

Is there anyone here who partakes in the keto diet? I'm looking for some feedback from people who've given it the college try. I think it might be something I'd have a lot of success with - my cravings have always been centered around savory, fattier foods like meats, cheeses, etc, and lesser towards carbs and sweets (I don't really care for pasta, and though I like sweets, I can do without).

I've been dabbling with a very low-carb, high-fat diet for the last couple of days, but not completely "keto" (the leftovers I had from a few days ago, ground turkey w/ vegetables, had some carrots in it). I've been doing some research, but I'm trying to fight my tendency of getting overwhelmed with too much information and backing out from intimidation.

I am on the diet now and I am down 40 pounds in 75 days. I am not like an expert but I can answer some questions. .

I did keto for a month and I got down 12lbs or so but my peers talked me out of doing it full time since I only have one Kidney. I've still been losing additional weight just much slower but I'm starting to eat "everything" again. We'll see how it goes. While I was on it I didn't find it to be too tough; unsweetened vanilla almond milk became my new drink of choice I liked the taste of it and it was actually fulfilling (unsweetened tea and water wasn't quite doing it for me) . I don't know what I was supposed to really do but I just stayed under 40g of carbs each day at that's really all I followed and the weight came off.