Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Dutch Wonderland- Merlin's Mayhem and a lot of charm
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon May 13, 2019 3:31 pm

Eiffel Tower

Do you think I’d visit France and not go to one of the world’s most iconic structures? My family sure did. :lol: Well I proved them wrong and went to the Eiffel Tower.

Even though I had a car, there was no way in hell I was going to drive into Paris. Fortunately Disneyland Paris has a train station right there and it was an easy hour ride with just one transfer. I think it would have taken the same amount of time to drive, but the train was cheaper and far less stressful.

Overall 2.jpg
It's the supersized version of Kings Island's tower!

Base (Vertical).jpg
She is a beauty.

If you read reviews online, many will note queue times longer than Flight of Passage. If you plan ahead, you can pre-book a time online. Instead of waiting in a cattle pen to purchase tickets, you walk right through security.

I had a bit of a brain fart when I purchased my ticket. I wanted to ascend the tower at sunset, so I eagerly booked a 22:30 time slot. Shortly after buying my non-refundable ticket, I realized I made a mistake converting from military time. Whoops. :lol:

While I missed out on sunset views, the twilight views were spectacular. Paris is called the city of lights and I can certainly see why. It was quite magical to be on the open-air skydeck that late at night. Some thought it was magical enough for a $25 shot of wine, but I wouldn’t go that far.

Selfie (Top).jpg
Greetings from 900 feet in the air.

Arch de Triumph (Close, Dark).jpg
Arch de Triumph

South Skyline 3.jpg
Some government buildings.

Trocadero 4.jpg
Trocadero

West Skyline (Spotlight).jpg
I love how the spotlight scans the city.

East Skyline 1.jpg
I spy with my little eye an amusement park or carnival in the top right. Any idea which park that is?

Office 1.jpg
The top also has a replica of Gustave Eiffel's old office.

At the top of every hour, the Eiffel Tower has a bedazzling light show. Unfortunately I was not able to see it from ground level, but it was quite interesting to see from atop the tower.

If you are claustrophobic, I would advise against going to the summit. The elevators are a mosh pit. You better hope your neighbor put on deodorant because you will be intimately packaged together like a Chipotle burrito.

Elevator (Close).jpg
Yes that's a statue on the side of the elevator.

If that sounds so unpleasant that you don’t want to take in the gorgeous views, there is one alternative. They do offer stairs to the first level, which is still almost as tall as Magnum XL-200. This climb will make you yearn for your typical 50 foot tall water slide tower.

Interior.jpg
It looks like a kaleidoscope.

Stairs.jpg
Maybe the stairs weren't such a good idea...

I was originally going to visit Notre Dame, but that plan went up in flames. So the Eiffel Tower ended up being the lone touristy thing I did in Paris. And it was well worth it. The views were breathtaking.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knoebels & Dutch Wonderland

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue May 14, 2019 6:53 am

Nigloland

Nigloland was the surprise hit of my France trip. I was questioning its inclusion since it was a a 5.5 hour roundtrip drive from Disneyland Paris, but I was intrigued by Mack’s take on a mega-lite. Alpina Blitz was great, but I discovered the park was much more than just that one ride.

One, it was gorgeous. European parks seem to place a greater emphasis on landscaping and Nigloland is no exception. Everywhere I looked, I saw trees, gardens, and fountains. I’m pretty sure you could visit this park just to enjoy the atmosphere.

Main Entrance.jpg

Entry Walkway 1.jpg
Holy moly, this park is a beauty.

Two, it had an undeniable charm. Rides were whimsical. Stations were themed. And employee uniforms were themed individually to the ride; the latter was the most surprising since that’s usually only a touch seen at major theme parks like Disney.

Take Alpina Blitz for example. The station is themed to a ski lodge and the employee donned traditional Bavarian attire.

Alpina Blitz Station.jpg
What a beautiful station.

I also need to give Nigloland credit for one of the most efficient loading systems I have ever seen. The turnstile is automated to only allow for enough guests to fill the train. And it can be adjusted dynamically to accommodate for exit passes. A few other rides like their drop tower also used this system.

Their storage bins are way more advanced than I’d expect from a small park. If you’ve been on Flying Dinosaur, little ole Nigloland has the same system. Loose articles go in the front door and you retrieve them from the back door. This means there’s no cluster of exiting and boarding guests.

Alpina Blitz Storage Bins.jpg
In one side, out the other. Maximum efficiency.

My first ride was in the front row and it was enjoyable. Like most Macks, it was glossy smooth. And almost every hill gave some nice floater air. But at no point did I feel like the ride was completely out-of-control. But then I rode in the back row and refused to ride anywhere else.

Alpina Blitz Turnstile.jpg
Note that sign above the back row. That's a sign for enthusiasts saying "ride here".

To put in perspective how much wilder the back row is, it has an additional height requirement of 1.5 m (or ~ 60 inches). The added intensity was apparent from the start as the first drop tried to launch me back to Paris. That was followed by a low-to-the-ground turn that had me seeing grey on each ride.

The next hill was the slowest, but it still provided a mix of floater air and laterals. That’s followed by a sizable camelback with strong floater. But that’s it for the floater air. The rest of the ride is ejector.

Like the Intamin versions, the s-hills were the most intense part of the ride. It was a cocktail of ejector pops and wicked laterals. The finale then reverted back to straight airtime hills. These final three hills delivered something in between floater and ejector in copious amounts.

I’m sure many of you are wondering if Alpina Blitz is better than an Intamin Mega Lite. But I’m not the right person to answer it. I’ve only ridden Kawasemi, but I know it wasn’t running to its fullest potential. Tobu Zoo was so empty that it basically only ran when myself and one other TPR member rode it.

So from my experience, I do prefer Alpina Blitz. That may change the next time I ride a Mega Lite, but one thing cannot be debated; Alpina Blitz is a super reridable airtime machine. 9 out of 10

Alpina Blitz Overview.jpg
Nigloland's signature attraction delivers.

Alpina Blitz 1st Drop (Front).jpg

Alpina Blitz 1st Drop (Side 1).jpg
What a great first drop!

Alpina Blitz 2nd Hill (Far).jpg

Alpina Blitz 2nd Hill (Close).jpg
The second hill was reminiscent of that top hat thing on Blue Fire.

Alpina Blitz Camelback.jpg
Airtime.

Alpina Blitz Bunny Hill.jpg
And more airtime.

The park’s other notable coaster is Spatiale Experience. Essentially, it’s a space-themed version of Europa Park’s Eurosat, right down to the long spiral lift. Like Alpina Blitz, this one had a clear best seat. Except this time, it was the front row.

The laterals on this thing are borderline violent. The turns themselves are super tight, but it’s made even more intense by the fact they’re taken in the dark (outside of some blacklit cutouts). Picture that final turn on Disneyland’s Space Mountain repeated a few times.

If you’re looking for drops, Spatiale Experience isn’t for you. But if you’re a fan of laterals, this coaster is for you. 7 out of 10

Spatiale Experience Station.jpg
5, 4, 3, 2, 1, spiral lift hill!

Speaking of whimsical rides, look no further than Apple Flight. The park took what would otherwise be a non-descript wave swinger and replaced the wicker basket seats with apples. :lol: Yes it’s slow, but it’s zany. 5 out of 10

Apple Flight 1.jpg
I never knew apples could fly.

By this point, I realized Nigloland was more than just a credit stop. I made it a mission to try smaller rides too. One of which was Ferme D’Antonin. Google thinks that translates to Ant Farm, but I’ll just call it the tractor ride.

Nigloland has 3-4 different track-guided car rides, but this was the best. First, you ride in tractors. They have the big wheels and everything. Plus the course takes you through a well-themed farm with all sorts of props. Honestly this felt more like a dark ride than a car ride. 8 out of 10

Ferme D'Antonin Silo.jpg
This isn't your average antique car ride. It has a farm...

Ferme D'Antonin Station.jpg
and tractors!

Fat Goat.jpg
There are goats too.

It was then back to the coasters. Schlitt’ Express is the park’s wild mouse. The big drop gave a pop of air, but the rest of the ride was tame and overbraked. 4 out of 10

Schlitt' Express Overview.jpg

Schlitt' Express Brakes.jpg
What's in the shed?

Usually wacky worms are nothing more than credits and a source of shame for coaster enthusiasts. Since it was pouring, I was the only one dumb enough to ride Chenille. As the operator decided to wait for more riders, I couldn’t help but chuckle at the absurdity and sadness of the situation.

Chenille Selfie.jpg
Now this is why I came to France.

In the blink of an eye, the rain stopped and moments later we had a full train. As the operator checked restraints, mine didn’t lock. Was I too big or was it broken? The operator just told me to hold the lap bar down and dispatched the train. It felt like Camden Park all over again.

The first lap was uneventful. The only oddity was that the trimless “big” drop. No airtime, but we were now cruising at a respectable speed. The train then roared through the station unbraked. Something was missing- the brakes. Then the magic happened.

Airtime. Honest-to-god airtime on a wacky worm.

The unexpectedness of the air caused me to let go my lap bar and it rocketed back to its upmost position. I instinctively pulled it back down and was plastered to the side of the train for the pre-lift turn. WTF was that?

The second lap acted like nothing had ever happened and then the ride came to a full stop. But I was still in shock. Maybe it was the rain. Maybe it was a one-time occurance that my lap bar wouldn’t lock. But I will always remember the time a wacky worm genuinely terrified me. 6 out of 10

Chenille Drop.jpg
That's *the* drop.

Straddled with wacky worm PTSD, I boarded the Herissons de la Foret Magique. It was an adorable track-guided ride with a few show scenes. There were some bunny hills (don’t get excited, it’s powered) too for good measure. :lol: 7 out of 10

Herissons Course 2.jpg
It's Elissa's favorite ride.

Herissons Scene 1.jpg
Not only is the ride cute, but it has dark ride scenes too.

As often as I’ve visited Cedar Fair parks, I’ve never done Dinosaurs Alive. Even if it were free, I’d skip it in favor of the coasters. But at a small park like Nigloland, I decided to try Dinosaures Aventure. The Jurassic Park theme music and entrance was too much to pass up.

As someone who doesn’t speak French, the preshow and information plaques were lost on me. The walkthrough reminded me of an old exhibit at my local zoo. It consisted of 5 or so minimally animated dinosaurs. 4 out of 10

Dinosaures Aventure Entrance.jpg
Jurassic Park?

Dinosaures Aventure Pre-Show.jpg
John Hammond?

Dino 4.jpg
I feel like this has to be from some dino movie.

I took a lap on Air Meeting, the Gerstlauer sky roller. I used to own these things. In 2017, I was regularly getting 30-50 flips on these things. But this one kicked my keister. I really had to work for my flips.

Eventually I got the all-important first flip. Usually this leads to a rapid-fire barrage of inversions. On this one, my momentum only gave me 2-3 flips before I’d have to work for more. After the third time this happened, I slowed down before giving myself a hernia. :lol:

Either I’ve lost something or the two I’ve ridden lately in Dubai and Nigloland have more resistance to them. 7 out of 10

Air Meeting Entrance.jpg
Ready to take flight?

Air Meeting 1.jpg
This ride is a serious workout.

Manoir Hante was one of the most bizarre haunted houses I’ve ever experienced. From a theming standpoint, it’s well done. The park rips off Disney’s Haunted Mansion, hitchhiking ghost and all. But it has one weird inclusion- spinning.

Now I’m a fan of spinning rides. I’m that blur you see on the tea cups. However, I was perplexed why it was added to this haunted house. The second half has a non-stop, controlled spin, but it didn’t really add anything. It just made it harder to appreciate the ride’s scenes. 6 out of 10

Manoir Hante Exterior.jpg
Oh my god, I found it. The one, the only...

Manoir Hante Station 1.jpg
Bench the Ride!

Speaking of Disney ripoffs, the best is the Africa Cruise. Nigoland basically took the Jungle Cruise and cutout the tour guide. As a fan of dry humor, that part stung, but I was impressed by the scenes. How could I not love a hippo pissing towards the boat? 8 out of 10

Lions.jpg
I feel like I've seen this before.

Rhino Anal.jpg
This too.

Hippos.jpg
What a beautiful picture...wait is that?

Peeing Hippo 2.jpg
Yes a pissing hippo.

Donjon de L’Extreme is undoubtedly the park’s most intense ride. It’s surprising to see a drop tower this colossal (300+ feet!) at such a small park, but I certainly appreciated it. It’s another Funtime tower, so it’s a jumbo Drop Line.

The long pause at the top allowed me to appreciate the vast nothingness around Nigloland. That made the wooded setting of Nigloland even more impressive. But as expected, the drop stole the show. No air, but my stomach dropped on the initial descent and it was a long drop. 8.5 out of 10

Dragon Manoir Entrance.jpg
Now this is one dungeon I can get behind.

Donjon Top (Close).jpg
Some may consider being lifted 300 feet up as torture. Not me.

Donjon Entrance.jpg
Here's the ride sign for good measure.

The last credit was Train de la Mine, a Mack powered coaster. The ride doesn’t have any drops, but it holds its speed, has numerous near-misses with the flume, and even has a few tunnels. 5 out of 10

Train de la Mine Station.jpg
Identity crisis the ride. The station says Gold Mine Train, but the website says Train de la Mine.

Train de la Mine Turn.jpg

Speaking of that log flume, Riviere Canadienne was short but sweet. The wooded setting is peaceful, only to be interrupted by the screams of the powered coaster overhead. The final drop wasn’t anything to write home about, but it did offer the perfect wetness. 6 out of 10

Village Canadien.jpg
Canada, eh?

Riviere Canadienne Drop 2.jpg
I thought the rivers in Canada froze?

Riviere Canadienne Sign.jpg
For Larry.

Nigoland also has a disko coaster, so I made sure to take a lap on Grizzli. This was your average disko coaster and that’s fine by me. The hump in the middle makes all the difference compared to the standard model, as the whip is quite pronounced. 7 out of 10

Grizzli Entrance.jpg
I don't need a translation for this one.

Grizzli Car.jpg
Clearly Grizzli means "horrible wooden roller coaster"

Before concluding the night with an Alpina Blitz marathon, I grabbed a batch of fries. And let me tell you, they were delicious. Piping hot, perfectly salty, and a massive portion. It checked all the boxes for me.

French Fries.jpg
I had to be careful not to spill any fries; they filled it up that much.

I spent the last 45 minutes reriding Alpina Blitz. In total, I think I got 10-11 rides on the coaster. It was never more than a one train wait and I never deviated from the back car. This is the type of coaster I’d love to see more US parks add.

Alpina Blitz S-Hill 1.jpg

Alpina Blitz S-Hill 2.jpg
It’s not a record-breaker, but it’s just pure fun.

Nigoland closes the rides a half hour before the park itself, so I had some extra time to appreciate the park’s beauty. And eventually that led me to the park’s carousel museum. Apparently, it’s a new addition for 2019. While I wouldn’t quite call it a full museum, it’s certainly something.

They decorated the perimeter of their carousel pavilion with all sorts of props (old horses, band organ) and displays of old rides. If you like the miniatures in the Cedar Point Museum, you’ll love this little exhibit at Nigloland.

Carousel Pavilion (Front).jpg
Beautiful pavilion.

Carousel (Front).jpg
Beautiful ride.

R2000 Coaster Model.jpg

Techno Jump Model.jpg
And beautiful models.

Ultimately, I loved almost everything about Nigloland. Despite the intermittent cruddy weather, the park’s beauty was always apparent. And the ride had a great mix of rides. You had the major thrills in Alpina Blitz and Donjon plus some odd family rides ranging from charming to goofy.

The lone downside with Nigloland was the layout. The park consists of two dead-ends. That alone doesn’t bother me. Some parks simply are too spread out to be connected. I get that. What I find odd with Nigloland is that the two dead-ends are mere feet apart yet they aren’t connected.

Again it's a minor thing and I hope one day they can complete the loop.

NL2.PNG
Spatiale Experience and Grizzli are a 15-20 minute walk apart. (Map from Nigloland site)

Grizzli Far Spike.jpg
In reality, the two rides are mere feet apart.

And I’ve since read online the park is adding some sort of launched kiddie coaster from ABC rides next year. I guess the park wants to one-up their wacky worm. :lol: If I only have two days in Paris, I’m spending it at Disneyland and Asterix. But if I have a third day, I’m going to Nigloland.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:22 am

Great report. I only knew this park from Alpina Blitz but it's cool to see that it's much more than that.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu May 16, 2019 12:29 pm

Thanks! Yeah the park was gorgeous and had more theming than expected.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu May 16, 2019 1:14 pm

Great reports and pictures of Paris. Both of those parks always seem to slip my mind, especially all of the newer coasters at Parc Asterix like OzIris! Glad you enjoyed it so much. Thanks for sharing!
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu May 16, 2019 4:47 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:Great reports and pictures of Paris. Both of those parks always seem to slip my mind, especially all of the newer coasters at Parc Asterix like OzIris! Glad you enjoyed it so much. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I feel like Asterix is going to get a lot more attention from enthusiasts once that crazy Intamin opens. But that park is already great so it's just gravy.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu May 16, 2019 4:56 pm

"Canadien" and "Canadienne"......? So the entry sign is male, and the river ride is female. :wink:

And Nigloland looks great! Thanks for sharing your visit there.

And you can never have too many fries. :smile:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu May 16, 2019 6:14 pm

^ Thanks! I agree 100% on the fries and I guess they paid close attention to their male and female nouns.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby 805Andrew » Fri May 17, 2019 9:28 am

Great report on the Paris region parks including the lesser known ones. Parc Asterix has been on my radar and once that new Intamin opens I'll have to visit it on my next Paris trip. Niglioland looks like an unexpected surprise (in a good way) so I may have to consider that one too. Your hotel room in Hotel Cheyenne looks nicer than the room I stayed at the Sequoia Lodge which is supposed to be a moderate resort. Honestly, I was not impressed with Disney's Sequoia Lodge and I thought the rooms and the interiors of the buildings (besides the main lodge) were very basic. The grounds were nice (like a college campus) and the indoor pool was very nice but that was it. Having been to Disneyland Paris for two days in 2017, I would probably just stay in the city next time I'm in Paris and do a day trip to DLP and hop both parks in one day. I need to eventually get on their Indiana Jones since it was closed when I went there.
http://coaster-count.com/userinfo15854.xhtml and http://www.coastercounter.com/805Andrew
(I don't count traveling fairs and casinos as parks, and I count Coney Island as one park)[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/07c56b6e6c57795b5e848cab51dd406e.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/4bcb6d715cbe293b80fdfea5d0baf0b0.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri May 17, 2019 6:33 pm

^ Thanks! I'm not sure if Cheyenne had a pool, so maybe that's one advantage of the Sequoia Lodge? If I go back to Disneyland Paris, I'd definitely stay at Cheyenne again. You aren't missing much with their Indiana Jones if you've been on Raging Spirits. Picture Raging Spirits but rougher.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!