TPR 2018 Coaster Poll Results!

The world's best roller coasters, voted by TPR members!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: TPR 2018 Coaster Poll Results!

Postby Intamin_coyote » Wed May 01, 2019 6:18 pm

coasterbill wrote:
A.J. wrote: That means that of everyone who filled out a ballot with Steel Vengeance on it, there were only a single-digit number of people that DIDN'T put it as their #1.

Sorry to screw up the even sweep but... you know... there was this blue thing across the park. :lol:

Corkscrew?

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Wed May 01, 2019 6:31 pm

But remember, if you rode 200 coasters this year, and ranked Steel Vengeance #3, it still was preferred over 197 other coasters. Multiply that by however many people took the poll, and the preference percentage winds up at 99.999999... percent, which in our system rounds up to 100.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed May 01, 2019 7:36 pm

Steel Vengeance was in my #1 category. It's seriously that good. Echoing Erik's note, I'm thankful for being a part of not one but TWO Steel Vengeance ERT sessions that allowed me to ride in every row multiple times. It has it all. I liked the front seat the best and the wave turn over the brake run and the dive into the structure right before is my favorite part of the ride.

Well done CP and RMC you earned it!

Also thanks to the team who put in the hard work on this project!
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed May 01, 2019 8:00 pm

Yay, my home park has the #3 wooden coaster! It's really great still after 6 seasons, totally deserved.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby jlp94 » Wed May 01, 2019 8:07 pm

With the Steel Vengeance discussions, I had it at #3 behind Lightning Rod and Expedition GeForce

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby tinaalsgirl » Wed May 01, 2019 8:09 pm

I am so woefully under-traveled. I've only been on two of the top 100 coasters... (Outlaw Run & Lightning Rod). *le sigh*

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Wed May 01, 2019 8:23 pm

Great list! Happy to have ridden 19/25 of the overall best coasters!

One thing I'm confused by - Why is it that on the "Top 25 Overall" Wildfire places ahead Outlaw Run and I305 places ahead of GeForce, but when separated into "Top 25 Steel/Wood" these places become switched? Is there something different about the ranking algorithm that changes between Overall and Wood/Steel separated?
Chasing Airtime
Steel Vengeance|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Twisted Timbers
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Wildfire

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Wed May 01, 2019 10:24 pm

Love the list and agreed with everyone that's said that the newer coasters seem to rank higher. I can completely see how this is possible, however, especially with the RMCs. Sometimes I can have a great ride on one and then think, "Wait, is this the best RMC?". Storm Chaser is a good example, as I haven't been on it since 2017, and while I remember the airtime being violent and super intense, I can't remember much else to try and compare it to something like Twisted Timbers, which I know is also insane and has crazy abrupt airtime. I honestly took like a month to submit my ballot, working on it a few minutes at a time when it would come to mind, as I don't normally spend a whole lot of time thinking about ranking/comparing coasters. Trying to compare some of these, like "is Maverick better than an upper-middle-tier RMC?", or "is Lightning Rod better than El Toro?", made my head feel like it was going to explode, and in the end I had a lot of same-place rankings in my top 20.

The only RMC I was genuinely surprised to NOT see on the "top 25 steel" list was Wicked Cyclone. I personally find it to be miles better than Twisted Colossus, Twisted Cyclone, etc. But that's just my opinion.

And same to people who were surprised to see Twisted Timbers so high. I ranked it in my top ten, but having had walk-ons for it and i305 all day this past weekend, i305 still totally destroys it.

Also, let's not kid ourselves, Expedition GeForce is still the best coaster in the world ;)

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Wed May 01, 2019 10:46 pm

boldikus wrote:So... can we talk about Coaster Express @ Parque Warner Madrid? I've never heard of it until today but I am exploring the "worst" lists.

I know a few people here have to have ridden it. It does nothing but turn. Down the drop and it just turns and turns and turns and then it turns some more. And then some more. I'd kill to hear Robbs commentary while riding it ("And we are turning!!!.... and we are turning some more!!!! Ahhhhh!!")

RCDB says Intamin had something to do with it (construction?) and it even looks like it has the newer generation Intamin woodie trains. Just how awful is it? I'm totally intrigued.

Intamin for the trains, but unfortunately RCCA for the construction... I haven't ridden it, but thats probably all you need to know as to how its awful :lol:

Also see Magnus Collosus.

And then there's Bandit at Movie Park Germany, also done by RCCA, and runs those infamous albeit badass-looking (IMO) Premier trains a la Son of Beast...

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Wed May 01, 2019 10:51 pm

Intamin_coyote wrote:
coasterbill wrote:
A.J. wrote: That means that of everyone who filled out a ballot with Steel Vengeance on it, there were only a single-digit number of people that DIDN'T put it as their #1.

Sorry to screw up the even sweep but... you know... there was this blue thing across the park. :lol:

Corkscrew?

I’m thinking he means something he couldn’t rank anyway, the Skyride.

Glad to see Mystic Timbers and Storm Chaser make it in the top 20’s (especially the latter being ahead of several of the RMCs). I rode both in 2018 and they were fantastic.

Count me in as surprised by Twisted Timber’s placement. I’m also surprised by Soaring with Dragon, as I never thought much of it and didn't think many people had been out that way to ride it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!