TPR 2018 Coaster Poll Results!

The world's best roller coasters, voted by TPR members!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Re: TPR 2018 Coaster Poll Results!

Postby A.J. » Wed May 01, 2019 9:57 am

Garet wrote:Is this part of why mega-lites are listed at 25 on your post but not counted as part of the results this year? They are asterisked on the main poll site. Same with Space Mountain and some other rides like the Batman rides, is it a case of all cloned rides being asterisked?

Correct. It isn't displaying 100% properly but we know how it should look internally.

Also not sure I can see last years poll but I could have sworn the mega lites placed higher last year, is that a result of putting them together or did they just fall from grace because of new rides or more voters, etc?

There were several brand-new coasters, as well as a bunch that did not qualify in 2017 due to low ridership but qualified this year. Also consider that on the combined poll, the Mega Lites were one entry out of eight that were all within one percentage point of each other in terms of rider preference.

What was the cut-off for riders for some of the rides? I saw Draken on the poll with a number which surprised me since including myself I think i've only seen 1 or 2 other forum members mention riding it.

The cutoff is twelve (12) riders for all coasters on the poll. Keep in mind that we had a heavier push on Theme Park Review's social media channels this year, so a lot of the votes are likely from people who don't frequent the forum.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby JG-77 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:01 am

Glad to finally see the results! Seems like a solid list, but how is Skyrush higher than the megalites on the combined list, yet lower than the megalites on the steel list?

Edit: 500th post!!!!
Last edited by JG-77 on Thu May 02, 2019 9:30 am.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Wed May 01, 2019 10:14 am

JG-77 wrote:Glad to finally see the results! Seems like a solid list, but how is Skyrush higher than the megalites on the combined list, yet lower than the megalites on the steel list?

I've been waiting for this question to come up.

The poll results are generated based on head-to-head comparisons, or, whether you prefer coaster A over coaster B. The wooden-only and steel-only polls are generated by stripping away all of the other coasters and THEN recalculating the results. This means that coasters' percentages of "wins" can be drastically different based on the fact that suddenly they aren't "competing" with as many other coasters.

This is happening with the wooden-only poll too. Voyage is the #6 wooden coaster BUT it's the #69 overall coaster. Boulder Dash is the #8 wooden coaster BUT it's the #33 overall coaster. Voyage is ranked higher on the wooden-only poll, but Boulder Dash is ranked higher on the overall poll!
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed May 01, 2019 10:54 am

Out of curiosity, is there a way on the website to display all of the rankings on one page?
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Indianapolis Zoo & John Ivers Backyard/Blue Flash

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed May 01, 2019 11:00 am

Verbolten is #225 what the hell is wrong with you people?

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Wed May 01, 2019 12:48 pm

I’m really interested to see what I think of Hyperion this summer. I was surprised to see it didn’t rank higher. Then again, I much prefer the giant Intamin coasters (Skyrush, I305, etc) to most RMC’s.

I also feel bad for the poor Orca Ride! :lol:

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby jlp94 » Wed May 01, 2019 2:45 pm

So awesome to see these results! Lots of surprises to me (poor Orca Ride haha) but interesting to see all the new 2018 coasters there.

Out of curiosity, will we see Alvey Top 10s on this thread at all?

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby The Great Zo » Wed May 01, 2019 3:09 pm

Great work and some interesting results!

A ranking I would love to see is just straight-up ridership numbers. Which coasters had the most people marking them off as ridden?
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed May 01, 2019 3:57 pm

Can we all just take a moment to marvel at the absurdity of the fact that the coaster formerly known as Mean Streak is the #1 roller coaster on the planet? I mean...

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Jason Maier » Wed May 01, 2019 4:00 pm

I was totally NON shocked to see the Top 10 worst steel coasters was dominated by Vekoma SLC's :D

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!