TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New lighted coaster wheels.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those look pretty awesome! I can think of a few riders that would look really good at night with those (Dragster!).

Agreed, they would make the station, unload station and brake run look sick while maintenance is replacing brake fins on the launch track.

Agreed, they would make the station, unload station and brake run look sick while maintenance is replacing brake fins on the launch track.

Ooof. That one hurt.

^ Only thing with the inverts is that the B&M ones tend to have wheel covers but I guess you could run them without the covers?

Actually, you do have a good point. I forgot that they do have wheel covers. Come to think of it, something like Fury 325 would benefit greatly from them.

^ Only thing with the inverts is that the B&M ones tend to have wheel covers but I guess you could run them without the covers?

Batman @ SFGAm was running without the covers when I was there last summer, but IDK if that's normal

That would look really cool with Orange & Yellow LED's on the wheels of Wildfire at SDC. Considering that coasters 20th anniversary at the park is coming up, it would be a cool little way to commemorate it.

I'm not sure about this. The right colour on the right coaster may look good. But I also like the pitch blackness of some rides (Magnum, Millennium Force, GeForce) at night, which would be destroyed by the lights.

Uremet has been teasing this wheel tech at IAAPA for years so it is neat to finally see it in use... I'm curious to see if parks will add them to existing coasters or simply get them for new coasters where lighting is of importance. Hollywood Dream in Universal Studios Japan seems like a great candidate where this could be add to the train's existing lighting.

I think it's really cool but it might not be necessary for a lot of rides. For instance any ride where the wheels are covered obviously should not get them. But I don't think the park would invest in that for a ride like that to begin with. It would be great for Intamin coasters. I think to complement it though, and this is just my opinion, but the trains with the wheels should also be lit up so it isn't just the wheels, if that makes sense.

If the lighted wheel concept fails because the wheels wear out too soon, you could just put LEDs on the sides of the coaster trains and use induction chargers above or underneath the trains in the station to recharge them. The wheel covers or anything else on the trains could be lit and not need to modify the wheels. LEDs can follow a chase pattern if you want them to appear to rotate or move, so the wheel rotation is unnecessary for movement.