TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR Coaster Poll Poll - IMPORTANT QUESTION PLEASE READ!!!

What should this year's poll be called?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What should this year's poll be called?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's some more food for thought....

If we did this for a number of years and had a list of clickable links for the coaster poll results...

2017 Poll Results

2018 Poll Results

2019 Poll Results

2020 Poll Results

2021 Poll Results

etc.....

If someone wanted to see the results from the year Steel Vengeance opened.... they'd click 2018 not 2019, right?

Hmmmm.....

These are my thoughts on this as well. However, as you also pointed out, handing out a 2018 award when you're well in 2019 might not get the right exposure.

I don't know how flexible you are into moving the poll to an earlier time (say November or thereabouts). The big summer and Halloween peaks are over so everybody has had the time to ride new additions, and it's still in the same calendar year.

The downside might be that come November, lot's of websites and organisations are making end-of-year lists, so I don't know if that's desirable.

My reply to this would be, while people looking for where SV ranks would most certainly click on 2018 and that would cause some initial confusiion, its not every year that something like SV opens. (but then again now will there be Gwazi for 2020, and at the rate RMC's going, it seems they could be building a top #25 finisher fairly often )

Or at least, looking from a longer-term perspective, perhaps the top 25s will "settle" for the most part.

Consider this...

Top 25 steel:

1. Medusa Steel Coaster - Six Flags Mexico

2. Maverick - Cedar Point

3. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park

4. Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion

5. Helix - Liseberg

6† Mega-Lite/Kawasemi/Fly Over Mediterranean/Piraten

7. Skyrush - Hersheypark

8. Millennium Force - Cedar Point

9. Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom

10. Fury 325 - Carowinds

11. Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain

12. New Texas Giant - Six Flags Over Texas

13. Superman the Ride - Six Flags New England

14. Taron - Phantasialand

15. Shambhala - PortAventura Park

16. iSpeed - Mirabilandia

17. Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England

18. Goliath - Walibi Holland

19. Iron Rattler - Six Flags Fiesta Texas

20. Flying Dinosaur - Universal Studios Japan

21. Katun - Mirabilandia

22. Nemesis - Alton Towers

23. Lightning Run - Kentucky Kingdom

24. Lost Gravity - Walibi Holland

25. Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point

Top 25 wood:

1. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure

2. Lightning Rod - Dollywood

3. Wildfire - Kolmården

4. Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City

5. Phoenix - Knoebels Amusement Park and Resort

6. Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce

7. Balder - Liseberg

8. Coaster - Playland (at the PNE)

9. Voyage - Holiday World

10. Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer Water World

11. Goliath - Six Flags Great America

12. Gold Striker - California's Great America

13. Mystic Timbers - Kings Island

14. Wooden Coaster Fireball - Happy Valley Shanghai

15. Mine Blower - Fun Spot America Kissimmee

16. Shivering Timbers - Michigan's Adventure

17. Prowler - Worlds Of Fun

18. Troy - Toverland

19. Renegade - Valleyfair!

20. Thunderbird - PowerLand

21. Raven - Holiday World

22. Tremors - Silverwood Theme Park

23. Twister - Gröna Lund

24. Beast - Kings Island

25. Thunderhead - Dollywood

These were the results from last year. Of these the only ones that debuted in 2017 were Mystic Timbers and Mine Blower (I could be wrong, correct me if I am).

But at the same time, a decent number of these rides did debut rather recently somewhere between 2014-2016. So if the polls were done over those years, then that probably would have caused confusion.

As was mentioned above, could we perhaps move when the results are conducted and released to maybe late in the year (and then name after said year)? Like Golden Tickets but later (November maybe?) Then there would be the whole month of December for the poll results to be cited/circulated with the matching year. My 2cents for the moment...

I don't know how flexible you are into moving the poll to an earlier time (say November or thereabouts).

Absoultely not! Case in point. I rode this for my first time during the month of December (December 23rd, I believe) and it would absoultely change the way I rank things:

It makes less sense to me to have a "2018 poll" where the cut off is two or three months before 2018 ends than it does for me to have a 2019 poll that only featured 2018 coasters.

Edited by robbalvey

Fair point.

We do, after all want this poll to be representative of all parks as much as possible, many of which are open year-round, and may have new rides open at any time during the year.

(Much unlike Golden Tickets releasing their results as early as September, which only further shows their bias toward seasonal North American parks. )

Fair point.

We do, after all want this poll to be representative of all parks as much as possible, many of which are open year-round, and may have new rides open at any time during the year.

And think about it this way - Have you ever been to the Orlando parks during the holidays? They are INSANE busy filled with hundreds of thousands of people visiting them each day combined. I guarantee you there are people riding Hulk, Mako, Kumba, etc, all for their very first time that would then in turn add them to their ranking for that year.

Same thing is also going on in SoCal. And with parks like Dollywood & Silver Dollar City doing holiday events, you'll have people riding Lightning Rod and Outlaw Run for their very first time in December. Not to mention many European parks and Australian parks are also open.

There's just too many chances to ride GREAT coasters throughout the entirety of the winter that I wouldn't want to shut them out.

(Much unlike Golden Tickets releasing their results as early as September, which only further shows their bias toward seasonal North American parks. )

Oh, please! This is a *REAL* award system based on actual *REAL* experience! I take the Golden Tickets about as seriously as I take prizes won in a Cracker Jacks box! (is that even still a thing?)

Edited by robbalvey

If we did this for a number of years and had a list of clickable links for the coaster poll results...

2017 Poll Results

2018 Poll Results

2019 Poll Results

2020 Poll Results

2021 Poll Results

etc.....

If someone wanted to see the results from the year Steel Vengeance opened.... they'd click 2018 not 2019, right?

Hmmmm.....

I would click 2018. Your example made me lean more towards using 2018 rather than the latter.

2017 Poll Results

2018 Poll Results

2019 Poll Results

2020 Poll Results

2021 Poll Results

etc.....

Hmmmm.....

I would click 2018. Your example made me lean more towards using 2018 rather than the latter.

Yeah now I’m second guessing my thoughts.. Like if I wanted to rank Steel Vengeance I’d search for it in the 2018 lineup.