TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR Coaster Poll Poll - IMPORTANT QUESTION PLEASE READ!!!

What should this year's poll be called?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What should this year's poll be called?

PLEASE READ THIS PAGE BEFORE YOU VOTE!!!

We need your input on something! The TPR Coaster Poll will always be held in the early part of the current year, but rank LAST YEARS coasters and riding experience.

So what should the TPR Coaster Poll be referred to?

The 2018 TPR Coaster Poll or

The 2019 TPR Coaster Poll?

Should the title reflect the year that the poll is conducted and the awards are given or should the year reflect the time frame in which the data is based on?

Let me give you two examples:

444086413_ScreenShot2019-04-10at8_22_37PM.png.64e1419accbad50778db851be2e816ef.png

The Oscars are considered the "2019 Oscars" but they reflect the films of 2018.

1827555348_ScreenShot2019-04-10at8_22_56PM.png.a6a606916ed3eb4a1cb0f7efee3216cb.png

The TEA Theme Park Attractions report came out in 2018, but it's called the 2017 report since that is the year the data is based on.

Either way there are pros and cons where no matter which we choose could be a little confusing.

But which would you prefer?

Please take our TPR Coaster Poll Poll and also comment below why you chose what you did!

Thank you! This helps quite a lot!

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think since the last one was called the 2017 poll and only included coasters through 2017, this one should be the 2018 one. Also think back to polls like the Mitch Hawker polls; those results came out a year later (early in the next year) but were still named after the past year, if that makes sense.

I think since the last one was called the 2017 poll and only included coasters through 2017, this one should be the 2018 one. Also think back to polls like the Mitch Hawker polls; those results came out a year later (early in the next year) but were still named after the past year, if that makes sense.

We are pretending that the 2017 poll didn't exist, though since that was a "beta test." We want to think about this moving forward. So what is the best option for the years to come. Appreciate the feedback!

It should be the 2019 poll, because it's conducted in 2019, and there's no ambiguity that it's the most current poll.

If it were rating ONLY coasters that were introduced in 2018, then you'd be justified in calling it the "Best of 2018 Poll", but that's not what it is.

It should be the 2019 poll, because it's conducted in 2019, and there's no ambiguity that it's the most current poll.

If it were rating ONLY coasters that were introduced in 2018, then you'd be justified in calling it the "Best of 2018 Poll", but that's not what it is.

I don't disagree with you (and secretly side with you on this if I was forced to choose) but here's my Devil's Advocate rebuttal...

Had we called the 2017 poll the 2018 poll and people who searched for the results and found them towards the end of 2018, people would have instantly said "Where's Steel Vengeance?" (Because people are idiots and don't read.) So we would have kept explaining that the results were for coasters ridden during the 2017 calendar year and don't include the coasters that opened in 2018.

But that also being said, people who searched and found the poll at the end of 2018 might have thought the poll was not the current one, which it was.

THIS IS WHY I'M SO CONFLICTED!!!

Honestly, I'm ok with either title because I feel they are equally as potentially confusing but I just wanted to get everyone else's input.

Edited by robbalvey

2019. It’ll be more marketable and more likely to be quoted in media or used by parks.

Probably my #1 reason for siding with 2019 if I had to choose. Media may not pick up "2018 poll" because they might think it's last years results.

I think it should be 2019 for several reasons, but the main reason for me is that since it was conducted in early 2019, some of people's rankings were based on rides they took during 2019, meaning the poll isn't strictly limited to 2018 or earlier experiences.

Am I making sense?

some of people's rankings were based on rides they took during 2019, meaning the poll isn't strictly limited to 2018 or earlier experiences.

But that would be a VERY small percentage considering most parks aren't open in January and the poll doesn't include any 2019 coasters. Even if we called it the '2019 TPR Coaster Poll" we would not say it was based on rides taken in 2019 because that would be mostly false information.

Ugh. This really such a tough choice.

Its like when differentiating between (insert year) Super Bowl (played in that year), or Super Bowl following the (insert year) season.

Can't go wrong with either, but I do believe you can go more right with one of them... (which I'm still trying to decide myself )

PS. Bit of a longshot here and I'm pretty much joking, but it would be kinda cool and epic if each yearly poll was represented by roman numerals like the Super Bowl is.

My vote is for 2019.

This makes sure there is no ambiguity as to which poll is the latest one, which IMO is more important than properly representing the year of the latest coasters included in the poll. Often times the latest coasters may not even appear in the "top" lists (2018 is likely an exception due to Steel Vengeance), so this is the lesser of two evils when compared to "Announcing the TPR 2018 Coaster Poll!" in... Spring of 2019.

Just my two cents. I see the pros and cons for both though.

I don't disagree with you (and secretly side with you on this if I was forced to choose) but here's my Devil's Advocate rebuttal...

Had we called the 2017 poll the 2018 poll and people who searched for the results and found them towards the end of 2018, people would have instantly said "Where's Steel Vengeance?" (Because people are idiots and don't read.)

Go with your gut. If you go with the other option simply because you're trying to avoid idiotic comments you're just going to end up with the option that you don't like as much but still tons of idiotic comments from people wondering when the 2019 poll is coming out since it's 2019.

How many years have you spent trying to idiot-proof everything on TPR and the socials? How is that working out for you?

Give up and go with the one that you like. I'm leaning towards the same option since people will read the title and immediately know that it's fresh content (which makes them more likely to check out the list regardless of what platform it's on).

Edited by coasterbill

I voted 2019 because of the habits I have. I don't watch the Oscars and I know they are last years films but my fingers just automatically type this year when I search for them and that's before your picture reminded me that they are named after the airing year, not the movies. I think I'm the same when I want to see the results of other awards as well.

I think I do that for a lot of things, in the TEA example, I think the only reason I don't see the wrong year is that it's here in the TPR forum. I think if I want to see some awards results and just quickly open google, I'm going to automatically type the current year into the search bar subconsciously with the name.

Our 2018 Annual Report is like that at work (comes out in spring 2019, but talks about 2018). I guess you could go with the "2018-1019 Coaster Poll." Other than that, I think "2019" might be best, being as last year's was just a "test run," anyway.

I know it's not a poll option but have you considered some kind of "2018/19" or "2018-19" listing? I'm pretty sure some sports leagues that overlap the calendar year list some results and data as the 2017/2018 season etc.

I voted for 19, but I guess in my mind 2018/19 covers both the year the poll was tabulated for and the the year the results are reported in. Just a thought that I thought I'd throw out there.

Ive made up my mind 2019 it is...

Another sports analogy but I believe most NBA and NHL teams use just the year in which the championship was won on their title banners(with a few exceptions) rather than the years the season spanned. And I like it much better that way.

98 Bulls rolls off the tongue a lot better than 2017-2018 Warriors.

I went for 2018, since we're counting new-for-2018 rides but not new-for-2019 rides. We're counting rides in the 2018 season, not the 2019 season.

Seems like the 2019 option is gonna be the winner, but just thought I'd put my opinion in here.

Our 2018 Annual Report is like that at work (comes out in spring 2019, but talks about 2018). I guess you could go with the "2018-1019 Coaster Poll." Other than that, I think "2019" might be best, being as last year's was just a "test run," anyway.

I voted for 2018 because of this. From a technical standpoint, the poll is ranking coaster experiences of rides that existed and operated in 2018.

I see the logic behind naming it the 2019 poll, but say 5 years from now you have 5 more polls all listed out 2018, 2019, 2020, etc. then the last one on the list would be the most recent, hopefully eliminating the confusion with it not being the most recent.

However, if it's labeled the 2019 poll and x coaster that opened in 2019 is not ranked on the poll, to a casual viewer it might beg questions about why that coaster didn't make the poll. Even though the poll might come out early in the year before many parks and new rides are even open, there will still be a chunk of people (e.g. GP) who won't see the poll until months from now. I've had FB friends share me coaster promo videos months or even years after the ride has opened.

In my opinion, the confusion of it not being the most recent can be resolved more easily and quickly for the average person (i.e. a Google search for TPR 2019 poll and nothing comes up) than the confusion of "zomg TPR didn't even rank Copperhead Strike WTF it's the best coaster EVAA!!" That's just my logic.

But, like Bill said, you can't really idiot-proof either choice. And any initial confusion either way would hopefully be solved by someone actually reading the results and putting 2 and 2 together. And if they don't, that's on them. So whatever you go with, I'm sure it's still going to be great!

So here's some more food for thought....

If we did this for a number of years and had a list of clickable links for the coaster poll results...

2017 Poll Results

2018 Poll Results

2019 Poll Results

2020 Poll Results

2021 Poll Results

etc.....

If someone wanted to see the results from the year Steel Vengeance opened.... they'd click 2018 not 2019, right?

Hmmmm.....