Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 632 - Mystic River Falls Announced for 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:33 pm

The original one is gone, demolished to make space for the Time Traveler gift shop. The location where it was last year over by Fireman's Landing is still there, it's a new gift shop now. That location has been a number of shops over the years.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby Jaykethekid » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:28 pm

I may be repeating some information mentioned by others, but I'll try to add my own perspective to some of it. I visited SDC from Wednesday through Friday and there was a lot to take in regarding changes for this season. Some changes were minor, but some, especially near the project 2020 construction area, were quite drastic. Here's some things i noticed

Flooded Mine received a lot of work over the off season. The lighting was updated and made the overall appearance of many of the scenes a lot more colorful. A lot of the major props were fixed and running including the saw blade which was spinning on all 3 days and actually moved forwards and backwards on Wednesday and Friday. Most of the audio was working including the ride's soundtrack. The only audio i noticed that wasn't working was in the final scene where the prisoners try and escape. It also appeared that many of the boats received a fresh coat of paint as well. Overall, Flooded Mine is in the best condition it has been for as long as i could remember. I really love how they're finally giving it some love!

As expected, the riverside section of the park is hardly recognizable. With the land clearing and the lack of leaves in the trees, it makes that area feel extremely bare and open. It's weird being able to see Outlaw Run's brake run from the Dockside Theater. They also remodeled and widened the path around that theater. Unfortunately, the stream that ran along the path as well as some of the aqua ducts were removed. Though, they did their best to make the remodeled path look like it's been there for a while as they used the same style of rock/brick fencing (don't know what to actually call it) found around the park. They also had some nice theming props in place, so it didn't look too bare. Further down towards Fireman's landing, they added a new waterfall / stream that feeds into a new Gold Panning area. They did a really good job making it fit in because i didn't know that waterfall was new until a friend of mine told me it was. It looked REALLY good.

On a smaller note, the park added an additional seat belt to Firefall. So now you have the OTSR, the seat belt that connects to the OTSR, and the new seat belt that goes around the waist. It seemed to really increase the dispatch times. It also seemed that Firefall was running a significantly tamer ride cycle. But who knows, it could've just been due to the weather.

Outlaw Run was down to one train as the other is still out for maintenance. Though the train that was running received new foam on both the seats and the restraints. It looked really nice!

According to a ride op at Time Traveler, the trains received new restraint cylinders which release and lower the restraints faster and more reliably. It also appeared that it made the ride marginally more large rider friendly as i didn't see a single walk of shame the whole time i was there. It also seemed to make the loading process much faster, as the crew didn't stack a single train. In fact, there was one ride where we dispatched before the other train hit the second launch. Hopefully they can get 3 trains to operate smoothly as that would make the throughput much higher than it is. Though, it wouldn't matter how fast they dispatch if they can't get people through the photo spot in the queue quickly. On thursday and friday, the line was backed out the entrance behind the photo spot. Since it was taking so long to get through the photos, they were dispatching half empty trains since there wouldn't be enough people past the photo spot to fill a train. I'll be honest, i kinda hope they do away with the photo spot or move it outside the queue somehow.

Fire In The Hole, while it smelled of fresh paint, i couldn't find any areas that looked like they were touched up. Many of the effects were broken and there was a lot of missing audio. It's kinda dissapointing that the ride is in such bad shape even though it's still extremely popular.

I also purchased the free refill tumbler and its really handy! You just show the employee your cup, fill it up, then you're on your way. It's a lot quicker than someparks that still require you to scan the cup. My only complaint is that there aren't any handles. It would've been nice if it came with a straw, though the entire park is now straw-less.

Overall, it was a nice few days at the City! Despite the weather being poor all 3 days, it was still a fun time!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:51 am

^ Read this, forgot to comment. Sorry.

I agree with you on Flooded Mine and Fire in the Hole. I noticed the same things and meant to put it in my report, but didn't for some reason. Glad you mentioned it.

Everything was running really well. I was especially impressed woth Flooded Mine. A lot of the time I don't bother with the gun because it just doesn't work, but they fixed those, and they worked well, and it was really fun.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby sdcfan88 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:50 am

Glad to hear the classics are getting some love and being fixed up a bit. Hope it stays that way. Been hearing a lot of rumors that this is the last season for FITH. I really hope not.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:48 am

That doesn't make sense. It's across the tracks from the Lost River construction site, and that bridge means they pretty much have to keep those tracks there. I don't see the new ride impacting it at all. SDC also takes a year off after a big project, so even assuming it was the next target, FITH would open next year for sure and maybe also '21 depending on the scope of the project.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby Jaykethekid » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:34 pm

sdcfan88 wrote:Glad to hear the classics are getting some love and being fixed up a bit. Hope it stays that way. Been hearing a lot of rumors that this is the last season for FITH. I really hope not.

It wouldn't surprise me if it does get removed since they've just let things slowly break and fall apart on it the past few years (well at least more so than usual for SDC). So many of the effects, big and small, were broken the few days we were there. Lots of the audio has disappeared as well. Its absolutely riddled with "awkward silence" so to say. So many tunnels and even some larger scenes are absolutely silent, most notably the burning bridge scene. I remember it used to have that "fire in the mountain, fire in the hole" soundtrack playing through a lot of those scenes. But it slowly disappeared over time. I think the last time i heard it playing was in either 2015 or 2016. But back on the topic of its removal. Personally, FITH is one of my favorite rides in the park for nostalgia reasons. But honestly, i'd rather them remove and replace it with a new dark ride than keep it sitting in its current pitiful state. I mean, they could rebirth it as a new water coaster dark ride in a similar fashion to the new Lost River project, but i don't imagine corporate would see much of a ROI with that. But we can all hope they just put in the necessary work to liven it up and keep it operating.

The playground is where I spend most of my days

Postby UrbanLegend » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:24 am

Hey folks, heading to SDC for the first time next Friday! Aside from bringing in a Coke bottle, anyone know of good discounts for tickets? Sadly can't go the day before and get the Price Cutter Thursday. Also, is there any difference between online and at-gate ticket prices?
-Did you just say you have the right to be an attorney?
-Well, everyone has the right to be an attorney, if they want to.

I make music: https://tigercastle.bandcamp.com

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:27 am

They really don't have a lot of coupon codes. Fortunately, every ticket gets you in the previous day at 3pm (or 5pm on a day that closes at 9 or later). Yes, there's a couple dollars difference for purchasing online, but if you're getting a Coke discount, that's probably more than the online discount anyway.

Do the cave tour.

Eat cinnamon bread.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby sdcfan88 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:51 pm

Thought I would post this construction update on the former Lost River area courtesy of MIG. Looks like the lake is back but its gonna be in a much smaller form. https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2019/03/riverfront-lost-river-sdc_63.html

The Gist of it with a few pics posted from the link:

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby AndrewA86 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:08 am

Hey everyone, I’m just wondering how the fast pass system works at SDC like for example does the fast lane line merge or take you right to the station, and do you get to pick your row, etc..

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!