Photo TR: Orlando Group Honeymoon

Chapter VIII - The Movie
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Orlando Group Honeymoon

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:54 pm

Epcot looks so good. That Biergarten is amazing. I am generally a fan of biergartens. :D

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Director_Guy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:37 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:Nice reports of Universal and Epcot!

The park staff is weird about Diagon Alley. The first time I went there, I couldn't find it. When I asked a staff member, they acted like it didn't exist because I was a muggle.

That's pretty funny! That might the first time a park has told its staff to be purposefully unhelpful.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Epcot looks so good. That Biergarten is amazing. I am generally a fan of biergartens. :D

Epcot is the best. Beirgarten, like I said, the food wasn't great. But the atmosphere (and I assume giant glasses of beer) was top notch.

New chapter coming soon! Only a couple days left to cover!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:16 pm

Just catching this now. Really awesome report! I like your style. Looking forward to more.

Postby Director_Guy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:02 am

anonymouscactus wrote:Just catching this now. Really awesome report! I like your style. Looking forward to more.

Thank you! I'm glad you finally caught it. :)

Chapter VI - The Honeymoon Alliance

Postby Director_Guy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:03 pm

Chapter VI - The Honeymoon Alliance

Morning came swiftly.

Jen and Vanessa had the right idea that morning. After our trip around the world, it would do us all good to eat some breakfast and hydrate.

We began the day at the only remaining theme park we hadn’t visited: Hollywood Studios.
The rest of the crew was to meet up later; taking advantage of the fact that they are on vacation and aren’t insane people like us who want to ride rides all day.

More power to them.

Nick, DJ, Austin, Jen, Vanessa, Megan, and myself opened the park up.

I find that while both lines can get long for the two attractions on Sunset Blvd, I’d much rather wait in the lovely queue for Tower than the outdoor switchback from Hell that is Rockin’ Rollercoaster. So, I forced everyone to go there first.

DJ says, “Wait a minute… I love that idea!

What do we have here, a couple of them theme park ruffians?!

Oh. You’re probably wondering about the shirts.

DJ’s totally awesome gal pal was, unfortunately, unable to make it to our week long excursion. As a surprise to us, she had made and sent us all these matching shirts declaring us “The Honeymoon Alliance”. We were so thrilled and grateful. Yes, now our touristy endeavours are finally complete. We are, at last, That Group. I couldn’t be happier.

Immediately following Coaster, we jumped in line for Tower.

In fact, it was so great, we jumped back in line again.

This ride is just so great. I couldn’t say enough about it. I miss it dearly at California Adventure, but of course I am content with the Guardians ride. It’s a great ride, but I sure love the spooky aesthetic of the old Hollywood Tower Hotel. It’s right up my alley.

I don’t even see it as an IP thing. I don’t believe people sing this ride’s praises because of “The Twilight Zone”. You could remove every reference to the show and it’d still be a fantastic experience (as evidenced by the Tokyo version).

I wouldn’t want the Tokyo version to replace Orlando’s version, however. I really like the Old Hollywood vibe and would really like that to stay inta-
“Dude, you’re rambling. Get on with it.”

Oh, jeeze. Sorry, me from the past. Let’s move on.

Well, we’d been in Hollywood Studios for about an hour now. I’d say it was about time we ride the only other ride there.

“I hope they’ll let me bring this on the plane.”

The always excellent Star Tours. This was the first time we’d gotten a chance to see the Crait sequence. Kylo Ren held up a picture of my face because I WAS THE REBEL SPY! YES! ME THIS TIME! I WIN!

Although I could have been a better spy. My t-shirt is a dead giveaway.

Megan is still the champion at getting to be the Rebel Spy. I think she’s been chosen over 5 or 6 times on several different versions of Star Tours. Maybe that’s rookie numbers for some of you, but that’s insane for a casual Star Tourist.

Suddenly, Natalie arrived!

Just in time for us to enjoy the Henson classic, MuppetVision 3D.

I sure miss this one back West. Very happy about the Philharmagic replacement, but it’s definitely a consolation prize.

The Force may be strong with us, but so was The Hunger. We quickly found a place to eat adequate food.
Clearly, we made the right choice.

Nick and Natalie went off to have their own lunch date at Epcot.

The rest of us spent some time getting a few drinks, wandering the park, and getting a few more rides in.

By mid-afternoon we were back on a bus and headed to Animal Kingdom to meet with the rest of our group.
Those bus rides between parks are some of the best sleep you’ll ever have.

Back on Pandora!

Jambo, friends. We are all together again, at last.

Many of us used this opportunity to try the local flavors.

These shirts sure do catch the eye, don’t they! Oh my!
You know what... I kinda like walking around dressed just like 10 other people. We look pretty sharp.

Time for Time Travel.
“Doyouthinkhesaurus?”
When we got into the vehicle, the ride operator said “You’re gonna want to get the picture for this one.” He was right.

We double backed to Asia to ride Everest one last time.

“Top o’ the World!”

Afterward, Brian and Vanessa went to grab some Flametree BBQ dinner and the rest of us ran over to single rider Everest for one last last ride.

The sun had nearly set and it was finally time to do what we were here to do. See Pandora at night.
I wasn’t overly impressed with the lighting at night. It doesn’t compare to what you expect from having seen the movie Avatar. But I think it does look pretty.

I do have issue with being able to see lighting equipment that’s basically out in the open and in reach of all guests.
Well, it’s not really an issue for me, more like I can easily see someone messing with this. It also, looks kinda tacky.

The vibe, for the most part, is pretty nice.

To end the night, we exercised our FastPass for Flight of Passage. It was just as good this time as before.

After that, we all went back to Jambo House for rest. Tomorrow would the last day before the alliance was broken...
Last edited by Director_Guy on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:45 am.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:32 pm

That's the first time I've seen that on-ride animation/video of the Tower of Terror... that is so cool!!

lol @ the shirts, I let out a big UGGHHH ;)

Good stuff. I didn't notice any of the lights you speak of when I went, but I did find it hard to navigate the area by myself because I went to the after hours event and have never even seen the area in the daylight, and then compound that it's a private event with practically nobody on the midways, I kept getting lost and had no idea if certain paths were for guests or not... lol oh well.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:03 pm

Best matching shirts ever. :lol:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:28 am

Great report and awesome night shots of Pandora.

I never thought I could see the Tower of Terror with a different theme, but Disney has convinced me. Tokyo's theme is the best. That being said, I still prefer Orlando's tower for the drop sequence and 5th dimension room. If Shiriki came over with those two elements still in tact, I think it would improve an already outstanding ride.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Funtown U.S.A. & Palace Playland

Postby Director_Guy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:14 am

anonymouscactus wrote:That's the first time I've seen that on-ride animation/video of the Tower of Terror... that is so cool!!

I made the animation, but the source is from the Disney PhotoPass thing. A few of the rides have videos of you on portions of the ride. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is another one.

anonymouscactus wrote:lol @ the shirts, I let out a big UGGHHH ;)

Hahaha! :lmao:

This is the natural response to seeing people in group t-shirts. We, however, looked amazing. :p

anonymouscactus wrote:...a private event with practically nobody on the midways, I kept getting lost and had no idea if certain paths were for guests or not... lol oh well.

That sounds like a really cool experience. A nearly empty, dimly lit land at night would be like exploring a foreign planet. It honestly sounds fun.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Best matching shirts ever. :lol:

See?! Thank you!

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great report and awesome night shots of Pandora.

Thanks! Those awesome night shots were provided by Natalie. She is an excellent photographer and I've been including a lot of her photos when I didn't have any coverage of certain things. Like Pandora at night!

Canobie Coaster wrote:I never thought I could see the Tower of Terror with a different theme, but Disney has convinced me. Tokyo's theme is the best. That being said, I still prefer Orlando's tower for the drop sequence and 5th dimension room. If Shiriki came over with those two elements still in tact, I think it would improve an already outstanding ride.

I completely agree! I love the story of Harrison Hightower, but the actual thrill portion of the ride needs some plussing-up. If they transposed the story to the old Hollywood aesthetic, I think I'd be pretty happy.

Chapter VII - The End

Postby Director_Guy » Wed May 01, 2019 7:02 pm

Chapter VII - The End

The final day as a group had arrived.

Jackie and Mikey were the first ones out, hoping to catch up on the things they missed at Hollywood Studios.

Austin and Jen decided to spend their last moments before their flight that evening at Epcot (good choice).

Meg, DJ, and myself were out early, but several steps behind the others. We did enjoy the extra room on the bus, however.

The rest of our gang weren’t too far behind, but it’s park time, baby, you can’t waste that!

We met up with Austin and Jen right away. They wanted to more soberly explore the World Showcase (at least for a little bit). We walk through the back half and stopped in Canada, Austin’s home country.

I had never seen it before, but found it surprisingly enjoyable. I was almost nostalgic for a country I’ve never visited!

Austin felt very homesick afterward, so we drowned our sorrows with feel-good juice in Mexico.

Yes, we got two each! The line is stupidly long, man. This just saves time.

We stepped outside and found Jackie, Mikey, Brian, and Vanessa. A small bee was making friends with Jackie’s Gudetama pulsh.

The bee recommended we ride Mission: Space for some “sick G’s”. Well, I’ve never been one to say ‘no’ to a bee, especially a Bee that knows its G’s. The group migrated over and we blasted off.

We were the only ones who wanted the intense side!

We were running out of time before Austin and Jen’s flight, so we swung by Club Cool for a beloved right of passage.

You can see for yourself how it went:

We all got on a bus back to Jambo House to have a midday rest.

DJ couldn’t wait until we got back.
DJ sleepy.

At last the time to say goodbye had arrived. Austin and Jen left the wonderfully strange dreamland that we got to stay in for a week and flew back to Los Angeles. But before the Alliance broke, we met once more for a last Jambo.

What a great group of weirdo adventurers.

After a small rest, we all met downstairs at Boma for an unbelievable “Last Meal”.

Here’s my “stalker photo” inside Boma.

Folks, this place is up there with ‘Ohana as just the best food at the resort. Holy crow, it was just good thing after good thing.

Natalie, show ‘em what we ate:

Oh man. Guys, don’t Trip Report while hungry…

After Boma, we all relaxed with a somber board game. All of us were thinking it: we didn’t want to leave.
Why couldn't we stay like this forever?

The next day, they were gone.

Ah, at least there was some evidence left.

Oh, man! DJ’s Winequest! He must have quested hard.

This day Meg and I were celebrating our 10 year dating anniversary. We started at Hollywood Studios…

Feeling sad that our friends were gone, and exhausted from when our friends were here, we went back to Jambo House for lunch. We couldn’t leave Florida without getting another one of these cheesy suckers.
Oh, Giordano’s.

Meg and I then enjoyed our hotel. We lounged about, took a midday nap, enjoyed the Mufasa tub. It was a very calm day.

That evening we wandered Epcot in the rain.

We had a lot of the park to ourselves. There weren’t many other people who wanted to be out in the rain.

We roamed until it was time for our romantic dinner reservation at Le Celier.
To be honest, I was so punch drunk (and a little actually drunk from Mexico, of course) from this trip, that I barely remember eating here. I think it was good! I liked the intimate environment of the restaurant. We shared this piece of meat and went back to the hotel.

Our final day had arrived.

Did we spend our final day at Epcot?
Yepcot!!

We had a few final FastPass+ rides…

...but we mostly wandered the park soaking up as much as we could before we had to face the real world. We reflected on an incredible week. How lucky we are to have such close friends that were willing to travel halfway across the country to see us get hitched and then months later follow us all the way across the country to spend a week stuffing our faces, walking our ***es off, drinking our livers raw, and laughing at cacophonous levels.

In the end, The Tragical Express comes for us all.

Someday Meg and I will return; we can’t stay away too long. But, I don’t think any future trip will match up to our Orlando Group Honeymoon. It was simply perfect.

Kwaheri.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!