TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Generally yes, other than whatever is new. Wonder Woman will probably open closer to Memorial Day. The flume and rapids likely won’t be open that early in the season (I forgot when you said you were going when I mentioned that). Other than that everything should be running opening day, but that said I don’t work for the park and have no idea the state of things at the moment so I guess anything is possible.

You’ve been a great help! Thanks again to you and Johnlloyd who commented above.

Generally yes, other than whatever is new. Wonder Woman will probably open closer to Memorial Day. The flume and rapids likely won’t be open that early in the season (I forgot when you said you were going when I mentioned that). Other than that everything should be running opening day, but that said I don’t work for the park and have no idea the state of things at the moment so I guess anything is possible.

2019 map is up (thanks to Great Adventure History... go check them out)

2019MapFront.thumb.jpg.69413e6c9fb73f9f53f78aa7066b7cc5.jpg

With Diablo and Splash Water Oasis out of the picture that chunk of land between PDC and Golden Kingdom just got a little bit bigger...

Also noteworthy:

- The former "Italian Pasta" joint by Nitro's exit is now Nitro Pub.

- Pandas out, Chop Six is in.

- Twister lives to see another season

- Doesn't it feel like just yesterday we were complaining they should revamp the old Old Country area?

I'd be excited about the pub but we all know it'll never be open because nothing in that building ever is. At this point I think Twister is the last Top Spin standing and it likely just got a bunch of parts from Fiesta Texas and Darien Lake so I fully expect them to just run it until they're out of free parts and then remove it. I can't say I really care all that much.

F*ck Chop Six.

^ re: the pub, my thoughts exactly. It'll be open when the park is busy and hot enough for lots of people to be back at Congo and that's when I don't want to be there. Not to mention with the souped-up Ale House, the two Machos, Sky Bar, and BOTW there is no shortage of places to get booze in the park at this point. (I guess Grannys too but f*ck that place) Though it seems the little beer garden in front of the Fort/Mine Train that they were experimenting with didn't make the cut. Ah well.

Oh snap I just noticed... Wild Walkway!! Its permanent!

Not to mention with the souped-up Ale House, the two Machos, Sky Bar, and BOTW there is no shortage of places to get booze in the park at this point.

Oh, God bless it. Looking forward to short walks to grab a cold beer after El Toro and Nitro.

Oh, God bless it. Looking forward to short walks to grab a cold beer after El Toro and Nitro.

Macho is literally across from Toros exit, so is this new Nitro Pub (which will never be open). Make a mental note for your trip: the best and really only true bars are Ale House (on Main Street next to Flash Pass HQs, formerly known as Liberty Pub) and Sky Bar (across from Sky Screamer). Macho near Toro has a bar but (usually) they still make you get out of your seat to stand in line to order another drink. Its totally dumb. The spot near the other Macho (next to Batman) is just a few taps with no actual bar, just some tables, and all the other spots I mentioned are food joints that also sell beer/wine.

Unrelated to beer, the park posted some more "general park improvement" updates on their Twitter.

GAdv1.jpg.e73b7d2be505c16800e1efd1bf3967b6.jpg

Main Street gets cleaned up

GAdv2.png.2e24dfd9d3a06690c3748d91f44efd1c.png

It's been real, Panda.

GAdv3.png.373f8369849352e8aa789fa55e3bdf96.png

Not really sure why they didn't just change the signage and call it a day but...

GAdv4.png.30df071da9f682732c9191f4c0251dff.png

The carousel is getting touched up

Also, the construction company that is erecting Wonder Woman shared these awesome aerial photos that were shared in the Great Adv Connoisseurs group.

aerial1.jpg.b9ac44106f8a7fb558374a82b6d3bc58.jpg

aerial2.jpg.1f872215a0a82ba556d2f9fb190914eb.jpg

- Doesn't it feel like just yesterday we were complaining they should revamp the old Old Country area?

Old Country wasn't renovated, it was removed. The area that they've been updating is the old Movie Town section. Although its sad that they tore the area down, its REALLY nice to have that walkway back open.

I absolutely love these rides (especially Crazanity since it's so massive), so this will be a perfect addition to Great Adventure. Lots of great new coasters are coming this year, but I hope people aren't overlooking rides like this... they are awesome.

I couldn't agree more, it's hard to describe just how awesome of a ride Crazanity is. It has been a huge hit for SFMM and gets a longer line than a lot of the coasters. I've always loved pendulum-type rides, but these giant frisbees take it to a whole new level.

Old Country wasn't renovated, it was removed. The area that they've been updating is the old Movie Town section.

I'm not a local that visits the park regularly so thank you so much for schooling me on what is and is not the former Old Country area. Since you want to split hairs, I'll elaborate: "it feels like just yesterday we were complaining about a useless dead end and a dilapidated & neglected area located right in the center of the park that was just ripe for something amazing and wow f*ckin sh*t just look at where we are now!"

My sincerest apologies for referring to it as "the old Old Country area" and setting off your triggers. I hate to break it to you, but with JLBFM and Cyborg in, besides that path that connects Metropolis to Adventure Alley - this right here is just about all that's left of the former Old Country:

OldCountry.thumb.jpg.6549c26a5308ac94444bf49f128c94be.jpg

Considering what is left I think we can safely say they have revamped/replaced/removed/whatever a good chunk of the old Old Country area.

OldCountry2.thumb.jpg.79fb05d44104deec87e227ed1f764bfe.jpg

Yeah, not much left.

I would agree that they're not the most functional.

But appearance-wise I think they're fine. Certainly wouldn't call them "ugly". I like them at least more than Cedar Fair's overly-cartoonish maps.

Personal favorite, and this partly is for nostalgic reasons would be 2000s Paramount maps - particularly 2005.

Very functionable and nice to look at.

Paramounts-Kings-Island-Map-2005.jpg

Ive always hated the six flag map designs. I work with maps all day, so it frustrates me that the six flags map manages to be both ugly and also not very functional. Usually, it's a tradeoff, but six flags manages the worst of both worlds.

Would you prefer something like this beauty? (from GAHistory):

They're for theme parks, not Rand McNally. Sure, it could always be better, but they're far from "ugly".

We are vertical

Ahh, glad to see the ambient sounds of a construction site have returned. Joking aside, I'm glad to see it, the park has definitely done a lot more this offseason to spotlight progress and overall improvements than they have in recent years.

I somehow always forget how quickly flats like this go up. That said, what's the over/under until we get our first post wondering if this means it'll be open before Memorial Day weekend?

Edited by michaellynn4

I don't really see how the Six Flags maps are any better or worse than any of the other park chains. They're all pretty samey to me besides the general style/color scheme.

The only park map I ever had issue with was Hershey's horrible interactive digital map back in like 2014? That sh*t was for the birds.

I think the maps works fine if they can give you the basic idea of where you are and which rides are which.

Maps like these are terrible because they do a poor job of visually showing where you are in the park.

031EFE83-86D9-442F-B39D-2896F27BA9BE.jpeg.0defc6af47ec2e1fc8bee956bd31242e.jpeg

Six Flags AstroWorld 1992 map. I challenge you to tell apart buildings from flatrides. Or even coasters from water rides.

If you don’t like the current Six Flags map style, thats fine. It’s your opinion. Just know it could be worse.

Maps schmaps. This is much more interesting.

Teen steals NYC cab to go to Great Adventure, police say

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/bergen/rochelle-park/2019/03/20/rochelle-park-pd-teen-steals-nyc-cab-go-great-adventure-jackson-nj/3223393002/

A New York City teen who is accused of stealing a running taxi didn't exactly make it to his target destination before police found him.

At 5:45 a.m. Wednesday, Rochelle Park police received a report from the NYPD that GPS had put a possible stolen yellow taxi on Essex Street, said Sgt. James DePreta.

When police responded to the area, they found the taxi and a teenager, later identified as Jonathan Gualpa, 19, sleeping in the back seat. He was woken up and taken into custody, DePreta said. An investigation found that Gualpa had allegedly stolen the taxi out of New York City and drove to New Jersey before getting tired and pulling over to sleep, DePreta said.

His destination? Six Flags Great Adventure, an amusement park in Jackson, is what he told police. Even if he'd made it, he would have been out of luck: Great Adventure doesn't open until April 6.

Gualpa is facing charges of receiving stolen property and was released pending a court date.