TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Energylandia Park Discussion Thread

Found this on r/rollercoasters, apparently (from what I can figure out - I don't speak/read Polish lol) significant portions of what was built of the new RMC collapsed in a storm.

https://gazetakrakowska.pl/park-rozrywki-w-zatorze-wichura-tutaj-tez-narobila-szkod/ar/13954031

RMC.thumb.jpg.5f637785d17ff18dbd89b8aaffbcf83f.jpg

RMC2.jpg.5e05a37459cb2f2e42f00cc120a22302.jpg

RMC3.jpg.aa04e68f5ac77c282b5889e5a4c4a5e7.jpg

RMC4.jpg.20d1a2978b158e9fe9ba44b95dbb168a.jpg

These three places collapsed, two of them (counting from the left) were cleaned up in the afternoon.

ecgpuGK.jpg

The wind was blowing at a speed exceeding 100km / h.

The good news: Energylandia had insurance.

Here, before and after photos

Before:

SSMq3av_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

After:

BrldobV.jpg

I've come to expect to read about yet another new coaster being announced anytime this thread is bumped. This is a bummer. Was cautiously optimistic that they could get this done in time for late August- that remains to be seen, but this won't help. Glad it happened while no one was around. Looks like that area got hit by storms pretty hard...

That's a disappointing setback (even if possibly somewhat minor in the scheme of things). Although I doubt it (because why would it?), I do hope it doesn't change anything other than the timeline.

Incidentally, I saw a tiny thumbnail of one of those photos earlier and clicked it just cuz it was a coaster...was quite a shock to see it was an image of destruction, and of Zadra no less....

I'm no structural engineer (mechanical), but it surprises me that given how much structure was completed already, that the 60mph or so winds caused failure the way it did in three different points. The track will stiffen the structure a bit, but unless they still have more lateral bracing to install to an already fairly robust looking structure, I am wondering if there was some type of building/design error on the structure (perhaps the type or quantities of fasteners utilized) and the method the structure is secured to itself.

60mph winds (or more) will happen again. Hopefully the completed structure was designed properly (likely) and build properly (questionable, perhaps?) to account for such things. I'd assume so, but again, just seeing how much structure was complete already and that type of multiple-point failure is a bit hard to believe... Even for 60mph or more.

As mentioned above, if SOB had similar collapse during construction, that isn't a good sign As we all know there was flaw in both materials and design/construction, if I recall.

Didn't Troy's lift hill collapse during construction as well?

This isn't the first time something like this has happened during construction. It's a setback, but I'm sure RMC and their engineers did their homework so the final structure wouldn't do this.

I think it looks like they built structure than they did. The pics from before made it look like there was a lot of loosely supported structure at the top. If the loosely supported structure at the top buckled, it may have made a chain reaction that brought down more of the structure with it. Once the ride is done, there will be no more loosely supported structure, so the ride should be able to support strong storms.

Didn't Troy's lift hill collapse during construction as well?

This isn't the first time something like this has happened during construction. It's a setback, but I'm sure RMC and their engineers did their homework so the final structure wouldn't do this.

Not sure on Troy, perhaps it's more common than I think with wooden construction.

No doubt that the design is likely sound, but it is just wild that all three of those sections came down. For sure a chain reaction due to the unsupported top members... I'm sure in those gusts, created a pretty huge moment on whatever was supporting the "vertical cantilever" in the winds, causing failure at the point and creating the chain reaction on the rest of the structure.

Sucks, regardless! That can't be any fun at all to figure out how to repair/rebuild, as things are typically build in a precise order for a reason.

^Troy's lift hill did indeed collapse during construction. This also happened during the construction of Robin Hood at Walibi Holland, where the first left turn completely collapsed and had to be rebuilt.

42063_537.jpg.5a754f8b16f098874b41d8c504faf8a8.jpg

Troy, Toverland - collapsed lift hill

Let's also not forget about the Colossus fire...

nbmbr3-b88194822z.120140908220954000g764t78c_10.jpg.c77e4c16cf3958ded536e95bb5659d71.jpg

Yes, it sucks when stuff like this happens, but don't fool yourself into thinking that parks or ride manufacturers don't have a contingency plan for incidents like these...

I kind of remember that now that you posted the pics of it, thanks! (Troy)

Robb,

Absolutely! It's just unfortunate and i'm sure given the structure (looking busy with the other segments around the lift), will complicate the re-assembly of the lift structure a bit more than say, Troy. But not impossible, of course. Those guys in the field doing the work are amazing at what they do to figure things like that out with the help of the manufacturer. I have worked with some erection crews on some pretty crazy rigging/lifts/assemblies and their problem solving skills are top notch for complications along the way.

Looking forward to see this project complete!

Saw this on Twitter. Apparently "the park shared it" but I can't find the original post and not sure I should link to the account I found it on. Stunning nonetheless.

Hyperion.thumb.jpg.f6a0c4f261bc47a829c94dfd08216207.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
So this is the first time RMC is building a hybrid from scratch, right?

Correct. Their previous from-scratch installations have been either Topper Track wooden coasters or Raptor Track clones.

So this is the first time RMC is building a hybrid from scratch, right?

Correct. Their previous from-scratch installations have been either Topper Track wooden coasters or Raptor Track clones.

Yep. That's what I thought. Wasn't sure if I had missed something. This is an interesting development for sure! Looks like I'll probably end up here this summer and then maybe next summer again!

They appear to be expanding so fast that you'll pretty much always miss out on something awesome no matter when you decide to go!