Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 1717 - Firehawk to be removed after the 2018 season
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby Pedrinho » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:38 am

kenban wrote:Image

That’s from IAAPA 1978 and was the original design for the train for what we know as The Beast, although it is also before the park had decided on a name, they changed the look after the ride was named.

On a second look to the picture I'd like to know what Intamin presented on that IAAPA. It may be Wilderness Run.

kenban wrote:
Pedrinho wrote:Nice find. I wonder what happened to the head lights.

They were replaced with the sculpted logo they have today before the ride opened due to the park expecting a lot of media coverage. Basically they wanted the rides name and logo in the pictures. The ride did open with the leather seats complete with buttons you see in the photo, but it was replaced pretty quickly in I believe the first season.

Oh, too bad.. I'd like to see the headlights in the night (although I loved the night rides in the pitch black).

kenban wrote:If your wondering about the headlights, consider that there is an entire Beast lead car out there somewhere. The lead car of the 4th train was completely refurbished and given to Ruth Voss when she retired. Voss was the head of Media Relations at the park when The Beast was built and is credited with coming up with the name. She passed away more than 20 years ago, so there should be a real Beast lead car out there somewhere, likely in a private collection.

Wow, didn't know that. As I am a big fan of roller coaster nostalgia I'd really love to see a today's colored picture.
Top: Wood: Beast|Mystic Timbers|Wodan|Twister|Phoenix; Dive: Valravn; Wing: Flug der Dämonen|GateKeeper; Launch: Top Thrill Dragster|Karacho; Floorless: Rougarou; Invert: Banshee|Raptor|Black Mamba; Bob: Flying Turns; <200ft: Expedition GeForce|Maverick; >200ft: Magnum XL-200; >300ft: Millennium Force; Mine: Colorado Adventure; Boomerang: Raik; Hybrid: Cyclone
Bucket List: Steel Vengeance|FLY|Formula Rossa|Blue Gemini|Colossos|Kennywood|Hersheypark

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby kenban » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:23 am

Orig Beast.jpeg

I ran across the color version on another forum so I figured I would share. Here is the original appearance of the train for the Beast. According to posters with more knowledge of the history of the ride this was done 100% by PTC because the park was still undecided on what they wanted it to look like. So it might not even be fair to say its the original appearance. PTC has never painted the trains on the Beast, the trains were delivered to the park with only primer applied and the park painted them in house and has done all maintenance for the trains in house.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby tndank » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:51 am

Daily ticket + Fast Lane Plus for $69.99 this weekend on their site.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:09 pm

I'm surprised that the park map didn't have an exaggerated emphasis on antique cars in their inaugural season.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Mike240SX » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:32 pm

What the hell grade is that workbook intended for, High School? Most of the math is beyond me, but then there are questions like this one:
Bumper Cars resemble automobiles, except for their bumpers. How are their bumpers different?
which seems like it's made for 1st graders?
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:01 pm

^I went through the entire workbook and the concepts and math presented here is the type of stuff I did in late middle and early high school, so my guess is 8th-11th graders, depending on whether this is an "advanced" course or not. I assume there were several blatantly obvious questions to those who maybe have never been to a theme park before or know anything about how roller coasters work.

As a second-year civil engineering major and physics/math person, I REALLY wanna print out that workbook and go to Kings Island now. #nerdsrule
Steel: 172 / Wood: 32 / Total: 204
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:57 pm

Mike240SX wrote:

What the hell grade is that workbook intended for, High School? Most of the math is beyond me, but then there are questions like this one:
Bumper Cars resemble automobiles, except for their bumpers. How are their bumpers different?
which seems like it's made for 1st graders?

Page 5 answers this with the "Ohio Content Standards" and "National Science Content Standards" descriptions. It's for high school, grades 9-12, but the teacher would select which part of the workbook for them to do depending on what content they are learning. Some of it is directed more for grades 11-12 but mostly grades 9-10.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

You're going to need a bigger Donkey

Postby Diamondbacker27 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:22 am

I'd say someone has already asked this, but who all has their Coasterstock tickets? I bought mine this morning. I might go to the event alone, but some of my friends might tag along later on. It's my first event, ever. :)
Wood-22
Steel- 84
Total- 106

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Location: I may live in the Carolinas, but my heart is still in Tampa

Postby Kw6sTheatee » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:23 am

Call me a nerd, but I would love to go through that workbook and do every single one of the math problems. :p
1. The Voyage 2. Intimidator 305 3. Maverick 4. Skyrush 5. Mindbender (Galaxyland) 6. Fury 325 7. Kumba 8. Goliath (Georgia) 9. The Beast 10. Phoenix
I’ve ridden 139 Coasters, and have been a coaster enthusiast since 2013.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!