Taylor's Japan Adventures 2018

Days 19 and 20: Goodbye Tokyo Disney and Japan!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Taylor's Japan Adventures 2018

Postby bert425 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:32 pm

your TR continues to enthrall and amaze me.

*loving* the pics and "tour" of Nagashima SpaLand. . what a park! I think Elissa said above it's like a Japanese version of Cedar Point, and I agree. . but I see some Kenobel's quality classic rides there too!

looks like y'all had a gorgeous day to enjoy it too.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Taylor Finn » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:26 pm

SharkTums wrote:Just getting caught up...

The log flume was closed at Hirakata because it actually had damage from the earthquake a few days prior! Props to the rest of the park for getting everything open and running when Hirakata was VERY close to the epicenter of the strong quake.

Nagashima is a ridiculous Japanese version of CP and getting the RMC just makes it even funnier!

The vending machine prices annoy me so much!!! How is it just fine and it works awesome in Japan, but in the US Six Flags and Cedar Fair will charge me $5 for a medium soda with mostly ice!?!

Oh! That’s a shame! I did get to ride what is likely now my favorite log flume (sans Disney/Universal) later on in the trip (foreshadowing).

And yeah... I really do agree. It’s probably my favorite park besides Disney in Japan!

805Andrew wrote:
Let us know how that is. I hadn't heard of that box before but I just signed up for six months of Tokyo Treat's premium boxes which include a drink as well as snacks and candy. I compared the past Tokyo Treat and Japan Crate boxes that were sent out and Tokyo Treat looked like it had the better drink choices overall and Japan Crate looked like it was sending out a lot of snacks that I could get at Asian grocery stores in the LA or Bay Area so I went with Tokyo

I didn't miss American food at all when I was in Japan and stuck mostly to Japanese and other Asian cuisines or whatever foods Japanese in general were good at (they do French pastries really well). If I went to an American fast food chain like McDs or KFC (which I did a few times) I only got the menu items I couldn't get at their US locations. With yakitori and the various forms of Japanese BBQ I have no desire to try American style BBQ in Japan but it looks like you learned your lesson. Great report by the way.

I’ll probably incorporate it into a report eventually! This comes with a tea pairing and I’m a big sucker for hot tea.

And yeah, it was probably one of the only American meals I had. And it was quite good. Just a rip off and ultimately none of it really stayed down anyway.

bert425 wrote:your TR continues to enthrall and amaze me.

*loving* the pics and "tour" of Nagashima SpaLand. . what a park! I think Elissa said above it's like a Japanese version of Cedar Point, and I agree. . but I see some Kenobel's quality classic rides there too!

looks like y'all had a gorgeous day to enjoy it too.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it so much, I love to hear the positive feedback! They did have a modern Looper, so I guess that’s similar to Knoebels.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:13 am

I'm taking lots of notes for Osaka and Kyoto since those are two cities we've never been to that we'll be visiting early next month! Thank you for these great continued updates!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby sszy12 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:48 am

Awesome report so far Taylor, so many great memories! Here is a picture of the underwhelming Dinosaur Plate from the BBQ place! Very good but not a lot of food for 4 hungry Americans.
20180622_211500 (1).jpg
Dinosaur Plate!
20180622_211500 (1).jpg
Dinosaur Plate!

Postby jynx242 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:28 am

Completely enjoying your Trip Report and your perspective on Japan! Japan is on my bucket list so it's always great to see it from other peoples perspectives.

Thanks for posting.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Great trip report! And ^ Japan should be on everybody's Bucket List. :wink:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby SteVeUrkle » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:07 pm

SharkTums wrote:The vending machine prices annoy me so much!!! How is it just fine and it works awesome in Japan, but in the US Six Flags and Cedar Fair will charge me $5 for a medium soda with mostly ice!?!

Does anyone understand this sentence?
Live Cedar Point Queue Times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:39 am

^Yup.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:43 am

Great report of Nagashima! I love the rest area, so thoughtful. And people actually using it for its intended purpose too. Japan is wonderful.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Taylor Finn » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:25 pm

Day 11: Parque Espana

Sorry for the long delay in reports! We are back.

So, I can honestly say I don't remember how we got there this day. I really feel like it was via rail and cab as usual. I can only remember bussing one day (Fuji Q). But, we arrived. And we were briefed in advance that the weather looked... horrible. I didn't attach the screenshot of the radar that Elissa sent us. But it was expected to be brutal. Fortunately, there was quite a bit to do at this park indoors, which was a welcome change.

I didn't take too many pictures because of the rain. And I also think I forgot to pack the poncho that we were given in our bag (believe I borrowed someone's or just suffered. It is all kind of blurry. What I do remember is really liking this park. I enjoyed the bizarre layout, Tron Butt was a strange, strange coaster that didn't do much of anything but I kind of love coasters like that. They had a nice collection of dark rides and walkthroughs and I show a bizarre show and had a yummy lunch.

Pyrenees was down for a while due to rain. But would we get to ride it? READ ON. Or skim through. Sorry I have a total of one coaster picture in the report. Of the kiddie coaster.
IMG_1979.jpg
More morning snacks, I assume.
IMG_2023.jpg
We have arrived! Like many other parks in Japan, this one also had a nicely covered main street to shop and eat.
IMG_2010.jpg
There were also two main concourses in the park that had additional shops, rides, and food. The whole park didn't really feel like most other parks in Japan and was super well themed.
IMG_2011.jpg
IMG_1982.jpg
First up was the Nutcracker themed dark ride. Great picture taking here, I know. It was a pretty pretty ride and I am always a sucker for dark rides. One of the many things I loved about these parks.
IMG_1984.jpg
Next up was... what could this be?
IMG_1985.jpg
ALICE IN WONDERLAND WALKTHROUGH. This was a seriously screwed up experience. Clearly a rip off, but also so much fun I think I actually went through twice? Maybe? This day seems like more of a blur than the others in a way.
IMG_1986.jpg
I do remember that it had a maze component, a boss battle component, and also an interactive wand that you could point at certain things and they would interact.
IMG_1988.jpg
Like this one. Alice is 'interacting' with the 'wand.'
IMG_1989.jpg
See?
IMG_1990.jpg
So at some point we began down a path that honest to goodness felt like we were leaving the park. It was taking us pretty far out from the main drag of the park. There wasn't any rides as we went down the hill. But at the bottom we were greeted with a whole new area. I believe the ship wasn't really open for full exploration but was a nice touch. Little water play area.
IMG_1992.jpg
Here was a fun little dark ride a la Peter Pan! Also down in this area was a ride I was seriously looking forward to. Unfortunately, I was let down. It used to be a Pirates of the Caribbean rip off that started out in a little lake and then entered a huge show building before plunging down into the lake. As it turns out, they recently closed off the indoor portion of the ride and re-routed the ride back toward the station much quicker. On our way out, we talked to the rides manager who said they didn't have the money to repair the stuff in the show building. Sad to hear, but not terribly surprising.
IMG_1993.jpg
Now, this was something I knew existed and was aware of once I signed up for the trip thanks to previous TPR trip reports. But the Escalator Ride was a bizarre but welcome way back up to the top of the park. A/C was nice, too!
IMG_1995.jpg
Went here for lunch and I had... I forget. See a trend. But it was tasty and not your typical park food.
IMG_1996.jpg
After lunch, we decided to stay indoors some more and take in a show. What was this show about, you ask?
IMG_2006.jpg
It was a show (in Japanese) that went through each letter of the alphabet detailing an item significant to
IMG_2012.jpg
Went around and explored the area of the park that had most of the flat rides. They also had a weird train crossing thingy.
IMG_2015.jpg
IMG_2017.jpg
A credit!
IMG_2018.jpg
IMG_2019.jpg
Please open.
IMG_2021.jpg
Flume was a lot of fun though! Mine train was also closed due to rain and the two interact with each other a bit!
IMG_2022.jpg
They say no.
IMG_2025.jpg
It is looking bettttttttter!
IMG_2031.png
Now for some pictures of me.
IMG_2032.png
This one is great
IMG_2296.PNG
IMG_2030.png
Wait! Are we taking a picture outside of the closed coaster? Or... did it open?
IMG_2029.png
Long story short, Robb had been working with the Rides Manager all day trying to get an idea if the coaster would open so he could tape. It was looking like if Pyrenees didn't open, we would get some Tron Butt ERT, which, though it sounded nice... didn't sound... THAT nice. Fortunately, the park pulled through and said we could ride if we wore ponchos because of the oil and grease that would likely be dripping down onto us (coaster hadn't really cycled all day). It was well worth it, as this was 100% my favorite coaster of the trip and possibly my favorite Invert. Hard to say, really because you never ride them back to back. But it was forceful and relentless.
IMG_2033.jpg
Left after that and did some exploring around Nagoya. I had found a few bars I wanted to check out. This was not one of them.
IMG_2034.jpg
Neither was this. But very appropriate.
IMG_2035.jpg
This guy was also walking around. Not my kind of look. But a look, nonetheless.
IMG_2039.jpg
I found this fascinating. Loads of cars parked in here.
IMG_2040.jpg
First stop. Downstairs.
IMG_2041.jpg
Sadness.
IMG_2042.jpg
I know gaming bars like this are a bit gimmicky but I dunno! It sounded fun.
IMG_2043.jpg
Second option. Monk Bar.
IMG_2044.jpg
Down this sketchy hall. Also closed as the owner was away from work for a few days.
IMG_2046.jpg
I'll leave you with this high quality shot of some building in Nagoya that fascinated me. This wasn't my best effort as far as reports go! But, there will be better to come. I believe we got some Legos in the next report, so that'll be good. Thanks as always for reading!
Last edited by Taylor Finn on Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:13 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!