Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Lake Compounce- Boulder Dash...and that's about it.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:58 am

Thanks! Temple of Doom isn't the strongest Indiana Jones film, but the plot sure lends itself well to games.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Parc Saint Paul &Lake Compounce

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby jlp94 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:03 pm

^ I think Temple of Doom right up there with the Last Crusade and Raiders of the Lost Ark, but to each his own.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:01 am

Temple of Doom is a good movie for sure, but those other two films are two of my favorites. Temple of Doom is held back by Willie and the slow-developing first half.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby CaptainUnknown » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:45 am

Temple may be the weakest of the original three, but you can't forget its impact on the movie industry (the creation of the PG-13 rating).
But still, great report.
Take a Journey Into The Unknown

Parks: 22
Coasters: 118 (23 wood/95 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:04 pm

Thanks! I can't deny Temple's impact, but from an enjoyment standpoint, I prefer the other two.

It's like Leap the Dips. It's historical, but it's not exactly my favorite ride.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:36 pm

VR Park Dubai

The concentration of theme parks in Dubai is incredible. For that reason, it sat on my bucket list. But Dubai is so much more than just parks. It’s a melting pot of different cultures. It’s a wonderland of bold buildings. What’s not to love?

Ok maybe not the 120 degree weather, so that’s why I visited in March.

My flight landed at 9:30 pm. The smart decision would have been to climb aboard a cab and check into my hotel in Abu Dhabi. Instead a hailed a cab to the Dubai Mall.

Going to a mall at like 10-11 pm at night is a lost cause in America, even on most weekends. But this is totally possible in Dubai on your average Wednesday night. And this was no ordinary mall. It was massive and a complete sensory overload.

Dubai Mall.jpg
Well this is a *bit* nicer than my local malls.

Souk.jpg
I'd go to more malls if they all looked like this.

Step one was to locate the luggage storage area. It was pretty tricky due to the lack of signage for it. Fortunately the security guards were sympathetic towards the lost American and eventually I found it on the outskirts of the mall. Conveniently it was exactly two levels below the VR Park in an area called the Village.

Village.jpg
If you have luggage, know the drop off is in the Village. Remember that and I will have saved you at least 15-20 minutes of wandering.

For coaster enthusiasts, the jewel of the mall is VR Park Dubai. VR Park Dubai’s entrance is a sight to behold. A mind-warping skyline starts on one wall and extends onto the ceiling. After purchasing the Ride 7 pass for about $25, I walked into a futuristic outpost of flashing lights and computer graphics.

Park Sign.jpg
I thought this looked like a cool entrance...

Park Entrance.jpg
But then I saw the real entrance. Now this looked cool.

My first stop was the Gerstlauer spinner, Dubai Drone. It was here I learned Dubai takes loose articles seriously. They are right up there with Japan. I can’t name a single coaster I rode all trip that didn’t require me to empty my pockets or prove I had an athletic strap on my glasses, kiddie coasters included.

For my first ride, I rode without VR. The first half offers some great views of the park, but lacks thrills. Even with an unbalanced car, the dang thing wouldn’t spin. Conversely, the second half was in complete darkness and much better. It was short, but it had two quick drops. Still minimal spinning though.

I was apprehensive trying VR on a spinner. How would they account for spinning? If Universal wouldn’t do it on Space Fantasy, it’s a bad idea, right? Wrong! The concept worked well as a gyroscopic delivery drone through Dubai (hence the name). I still preferred the coaster au natural though. 6 out of 10

Dubai Drone Entrance.jpg

Dubai Drone Hairpin Turn.jpg
The first half gives some neat views, but it's the second half that brings the thrills.

My favorite ride was Burj Drop. As you may suspect from the name, it’s a drop tower. While the tower itself probably isn’t more than 30 feet tall, the VR absolutely makes this ride. You are a window washer for the Burj Khalifa. As you may suspect, the cables did their best Intamin impersonation and snapped.

The cartoonish graphics made it difficult to convey the height, but it did offer some laughs. My co-working window washer was way too calm for the whole experience. A dude who can keep a straight face falling 2000 feet clearly is high on something. I’ll take this over your garden variety S&S tower. 8 out of 10

Burj Drop.jpg
VR makes this innocent looking drop tower quite enjoyable.

Hologate was a shooter where you don a headset and walk around an arena with a gun. I always support a ride that puts a gun in my hands. For the most part it was fun slaughtering killer robots, but it was held back by choppy VR and audio that was more incomprehensible than Ozzie Osbourne. 7 out of 10

Hologate.jpg
I'm sure I looked quite awkward for any spectators.

The lone attraction I disliked was Dune Bash. It appears they took an old motion simulator. Now instead of using the giant screen, you look at a little cell phone in front of your eyes. The image quality was poor and the ride simply offered no thrills. The real roads of Dubai were far more thrilling. 3 out of 10

Dune Bash.jpg
Many of my taxi drivers drove more wildly than this.

I did want to try their freefall simulator, but it was closed. They also had what appeared to be an inverting frisbee. I’m really intrigued how they’d implement VR on that ride, but it was closed. I dodged a bullet there. :lol:

Inverting Frisbee.jpg
VR on an inverting frisbee is a hard no for me.

One operational note that I do want to note is the sanitation of the headsets. It did not appear they sanitize or clean them between uses. Take my ride on Burj Drop for example. The operator took the headset right off the head of another passenger and put it directly on my head.

I’m not going to lie, that irked me a little bit. And it didn’t appear to be an isolated incident at Burj Drop. The same thing happened at Hologate. But I figured I at least had some sort of barrier with my glasses (yes they allow headsets over glasses, but the fit was tight).

Coaster enthusiasts often look upon VR with resentment. But that’s because the rides weren’t designed for VR. Take SFNE slapping VR on Superman. That was an absolute disaster. However, for the most part, VR Park Dubai uses VR well.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:17 am

I was wondering what this complex would look like after if reopened without the Sega Republic theming. It looks like they made the most of losing those IP rights and with the exception of the note on the cleaning for headsets, it seems like a pretty neat operation. Thanks for sharing!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:42 am

Thanks! It was definitely a neat park with a cool, futuristic vibe.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:07 am

Ferrari World

There was little doubt where my first full day the UAE would be- Ferrari World. That was because of the Intamins. Formula Rossa and Flying Aces looked awesome. But more so, I was terrified two cable-bearing Intamins in the desert could break at any moment. Maximizing my chance to ride them was a priority.

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza and reaching the park was a cinch thanks to the Yas Express. It’s actually a free service for anyone on Yas Island, hotel guest or not. Going in, I had no idea Ferrari World was located in the Yas Mall (Yas Mall TR). It was an unfair cheat code to make it my new favorite shopping mall.

Sign.jpg
Now this is my kind of mall.

Entrance.jpg
The entrance bore some similarities to Ferrari Land.

Ferrari.jpg
This is as close as I'll ever get to a Ferrari.

After a little entry show with a Ferrari and a camel, I made a beeline for Formula Rossa. In fact, that’s where most guests went. Having the MC of the entry show plant the seed they could ride the world’s fastest roller coaster probably played a large role there.

Before getting to the ride, I want to say that I loved Formula Rossa’s procedure for loose articles. Just before being assigned a row, they have a counter where you place all your items in a numbered bin and receive a corresponding wristband. It was fast, free, and monitored at all times.

Formula Rossa Entrance.jpg
*Scans for sign ride is closed* All clear.

There was little doubt ride one would be up front. They have an assigned queue for the front and it typically was an extra 3-4 cycles in length. After donning a pair of mandatory goggles, which comfortably fit over my regular glasses I might add, I was rolling out of the station on the second train of the day.

The launch took my breath away, just not in the way I expected. While most launches wow me with the initial acceleration, Formula Rossa did things differently. The initial kick is strong, don’t get me wrong. But Formula Rossa goes into overdrive halfway through the launch. You feel all 149 mph for sure.

The subsequent hill is trimmed, but much like the post-launch hill on Maverick, you still have more than enough speed to produce some wonderful sustained floater air. Besides, you get trimmed about to the speed of Millennium Force. That’s still ludicrously fast.

The elements are drawn out, again much like Millennium Force. The key is that you lose minimal speed traversing them. While you won’t grey out, your cheeks will be flapping in the wind. Plus there’s airtime on every hill. It’s of the floater variety with the exception of one bunny hill with some nice ejector.

Formula Rossa basically takes Top Thrill Dragster’s launch and splices it onto Millennium Force. If you love speed, Formula Rossa is for you. It’s exhilarating in every seat, but like most launch coasters, Formula Rossa needs to be experienced in the front row. 9.5 out of 10

I also want to note the ride’s uptime. With Dragster, it always seems to break down on me. Meanwhile I only saw Formula Rossa briefly go down once over the course of two days. But they also weren’t cycling trains like Cedar Point. Formula Rossa only had one train with less than stellar dispatches.

Formula Rossa Launch.jpg

Formula Rossa Bunny Hill.jpg
Everyone talks about the launch (and rightfully so), but Formula Rossa has some nice airtime too.

Formula Rossa On-Ride.jpg
How could I not buy an on-ride photo? It did some weird things to my face and hair.

Speaking of purchases, I originally wanted to buy a Formula Rossa t-shirt. But it cost a whopping $60! Clearly I was paying for the Ferrari brand. And as I discovered, this couldn’t be truer. Any souvenir with a Ferrari logo on it (no matter how small) cost way more than everything else.

Meanwhile Quick Pass was a very reasonable $40 and I found some coaster magnets for about $5-10 featuring the coaster’s logo, not the Ferrari logo. Just something to keep in mind if you’re into souvenirs.

Flying Aces really intrigued me. However, all I knew going in was that it had an insanely well-themed queue. It’s baffling that’s all I knew about an Intamin mega coaster that looked like Skyrush’s brother, but that queue was really awesome. It was like walking through an army barrack.

However, the only way you’ll see it now is if you visit for yourself. Unfortunately Flying Aces doesn’t allow any loose articles even in the queue line. Whereas Formula Rossa takes your loose articles just before the station, Flying Aces has free fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo adjacent to the entrance.

Flying Aces Entrance.jpg
I decided to take a break from cars and board a plane.

At first sight, the trains looked identical to Skyrush. They were so gloriously open. But upon riding, I did notice a subtle difference on the restraints. While Skyrush’s restraints have a rectangular strip that contacts your leg, the restraints here were more contoured on the underside.

I loved Flying Aces, but it wasn’t quite the coaster I expected. I went in expecting sustained ejector air like Skyrush. But outside of the first drop and one small speed hill, you don’t really get that. Some of the rapid directional changes induce pops like I305 and the larger hills felt like the camelbacks on a B&M.

Where Flying Aces excelled was the lateral department. You know that Stengel Dive on Skyrush that feels like it’s going to flip you over the train? Flying Aces does that at least 3-4 times, including on that huge non-inverting loop. Oh and it also has a zero-G roll with some awesome hangtime.

After 9 or so rides, I can unequivocally say that Flying Aces is a backseat coaster. My front seat ride was fun, but I thought I was going to die at several points in the back row. And again it’s not because of the airtime. It’s because of how crazy some of those transitions are on the wing seats. 9.5 out of 10

Flying Aces Drop.jpg
The drop sure does look like that of Skyrush.

Flying Aces Non-Inverting Loop 2.jpg
But it focuses more on crazy laterals than airtime.

Flying Aces Overview.jpg
There are a few great airtime moments though.

Flying Aces Inversion.jpg
And like any good plane, this one does a barrel roll.

Flying Aces Turn 1.jpg
This last turn tries to flip you over like a hamburger patty. It's violent in the best way possible.

There’s also a third Intamin in Turbo Track. It’s much simpler than the other two, but still quite fun. Like Flying Aces, it too has a cool queue line but you need to put everything in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo before you enter it. The ride has a sliding station a la Mr. Freeze, but it was only running one train the day I visited.

One of the most fascinating things about Copperhead Strike is the launched airtime hill. Little did I realize that Turbo Track did the same thing. The acceleration doesn’t really pick up until the apex of the hump, so it doesn’t offer any air up front. But in the back, you get a nice freefall sensation on the way down.

Another neat thing about Turbo Track is that you can ride either forwards or backwards. Of the two, I preferred going backwards for the neat view of the park’s colossal dome. In many ways, Turbo Track felt like a smaller version of SFMM’s Superman. 7 out of 10

Turbo Track Lighting.jpg
Turbo Track had an awesome lighting package.

Turbo Track Launch.jpg
The lights moved with the vehicle.

Turbo Track Spike.jpg
I'm taking a wild guess this is where that old drop tower used to be.

The last coaster (well technically 2 coasters for all you credit whores out there) is the racing Fiorano GT Challenge. And for this one, I think Maurer took inspiration from Disneyland’s infamous Rocket Rods.

Exhibit A- None of the turns are banked. Even immediately after a launch. This results in some very strong laterals.

Exhibit B- Shortly after accelerating, you slow down only to accelerate yet again. I think this ride had a total of 4-5 launches.

Despite these two oddities, it is an enjoyable coaster. And I’m sorry, but the park claims this coaster hits 59 mph. That’s absolute poppycock. Maybe they’re doing the Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster tactic and adding both launches together. 30 mph feels closer to the ride’s top speed. 7 out of 10

Fiorano GT Challenge Return.jpg
Note the lack of banking.

There was also the new for 2015 new for 2016 new for 2017 new for 2018 new for 2019 Mission Ferrari. Who ever would have thought that mall in NJ may open before this? :lol:

Mission Ferrari Entrance.jpg
Opening soon...I'll believe it when I see it.

Mission Ferrari Zero-G.jpg
I think I saw some wheel marks. That's a positive sign at least, right?

Ferrari World also has a large collection of dark rides and of course they’re all themed to cars. There’s no better example of that then Made in Maranello. It’s an educational tour how to make a Ferrari. If you’re a car fan, you’ll need a box of Kleenex for this one. 7 out of 10

Made in Maranello.jpg
Essentially it's one big commercial for Ferrari.

The most screwed up one was Speed of Magic. A kid loses a video game to this creepy character that’s best described as a helium voiced Maz from Star Wars. To cheer him up, the kid’s dad gives him the keys to a Ferrari. Maz then escapes the TV screen, steals the keys, and lures the kid into a magical portal challenging him to a duel.

I swear I am not on acid.

The creators of this ride may have though.

The ride uses the same ride system as Spiderman. While the movement was well executed, the 3D didn’t add anything. It was just there. The physical sets were in the same boat. That being said, the ride is both literally and figuratively a joyride. 8 out of 10

Speed of Magic Vehicles.jpg
Even the station looks like an acid trip.

Benno’s Great Race had the potential to be the park’s best dark ride. It’s a unique take on a shooting dark ride. The ride had trackless vehicles and beautiful physical sets, but the key are the screens. Riders are given magical wrenches that let you complete a series of tasks.

It’s a neat concept, but I wish the ride did one of two things. I wish it either told riders how the mechanics of each mini game worked prior to playing or gave riders more time at each game. By the time I figured out how to play some of the games, they were almost done. As a result, this one had a forced reridability aspect to it. 8.5 out of 10

Benno's Great Race Entrance.jpg
I prefer to be handed guns, but a magical wrench will do.

They also had a flying theater (Viaggio in Italia) and racing simulator (Driving with the Champion). This may have been a stupid reason to do so, but I skipped them because of Ferrari Land PTSD. Note I said Land and not World.

When I went to PortAventura’s Ferrari Land, they had two similar simulators. While enjoyable, each one had 4-5 different pre-shows and staging areas so it took almost 45 minutes to experience either attraction. The fact another Ferrari themed park had two similar rides also housed back-to-back gave me pause.

Like I said, it could have been a stupid reason. If anyone else has been there and can confirm if it shares Ferrari Land’s queue line from hell, I’d be interested in knowing. But I have no regrets getting extra rides on the Intamins.

It also wouldn’t be a Ferrari Park without some car rides. Most of them were upcharges- go karts, driving simulators, VR driving simulators, driving an actual Ferrari at 30 mph through the streets of Abu Dhabi. The one car ride I tried was the Scuderia Challenge. I think I rolled my vehicle over at least 2-3 times. It was just too tempting to floor it through the tight turns. :lol:

Scuderia Challenge.jpg
This simulator reaffirmed why I should never buy a Ferrari.

Food was on the pricier side, but I did get a delicious wood-fired pizza. Outside of Via Napoli, this is probably the best theme park pizza I’ve had. Yes you read that right and no I did not forget about Knoebels.

Mamma Rossella's.jpg
Mamma Rossella's > Cesari's

Ferrari World was a great park. It doesn’t have much in terms of flat rides (actually I think the park’s lone flat ride was down for rehab when I visited), but it does boast a unique coaster collection and several dark rides. Formula Ross and Flying Aces were two big reasons for my trip to Dubai and they did not disappoint.

Plus it has a distinct theme and carries it through the park. Most parks have themed lands. Ferrari World maintains the whole Italian car theme from the moment you enter the gate. That’s one of the most commendable aspects of the park if you ask me.

Crazy Dress.jpg
Last but not least, check out that dress.
Last edited by Canobie Coaster on Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:51 am.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Location: I may live in the Carolinas, but my heart is still in Tampa

Postby Kw6sTheatee » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:28 am

Did you do the antique cars that runs under Mission Ferrari and Turbo Track too? I love those rides! :b
1. The Voyage 2. Intimidator 305 3. Maverick 4. Skyrush 5. Mindbender (Galaxyland) 6. Fury 325 7. Kumba 8. Goliath (Georgia) 9. The Beast 10. Phoenix
I’ve ridden 139 Coasters, and have been a coaster enthusiast since 2013.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!