Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

P. 107: Runaway Tram (Family coaster) coming in 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:14 pm

Rai Fox wrote:They must have pretty high expectations for a family coaster, if they're doing that much extra work for it. I hope it's as good as they seem to think it will be!

I think the re-configuring of the pier has much less to do with their expectations for the ride and much more to do with the fact that space is limited and this is a permanent installation (as opposed to Flitzer/Doo Wopper/Rollies which were moved around), this also has a larger footprint than those three (maybe not Rollies...). Moving a bunch of stuff around to make something new fit, especially something this large, is not out of the ordinary for Moreys. They've done it a bunch as they don't really have a choice.

I'm more excited about the changes coming to the pier than the ride itself but as the idea that its coming settles in more over time, I think its going to be a hit - WW folks are going to go gaga for the theme and I think Moreys will pull that off well. It won't have some zip like Flitzer but it'll be great for parents to ride with their kids who aren't yet tall enough for the Vekomas and Great White. As an uncle to a turning-6-this-summer nephew, I'm sure he'll love this. And ya never know - the first drop might have some great air in the back row (not holding my breath).

Postby boldikus » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:45 am

Not directly Moreys-specific, but this if this happens it's big news for the WW boardwalk.

Wildwood looks to state to fund $64.5M Boardwalk reconstruction

WILDWOOD — The City Commission last month approved a master plan that calls for a $64.5 million complete Boardwalk reconstruction. “The Wildwood Boardwalk is nearly 100 years old and is failing in many respects,” the plan said. The city is seeking funding from the state. The plan argues that revenue generated from tourism taxes for the state comes largely from the Boardwalk. “I pray to God, and I am hopeful that (the funding) comes to fruition because there is no way I can tax the people,” Mayor Ernie Troiano said. The city engineer has recommended a phased approach to reconstruction:

Oak Avenue to 26th Avenue: $25.5 million

Montgomery Avenue to Schellenger Avenue: $20.7 million

Cresse Avenue to Burk Avenue: $18.3 million

All infrastructure, including fiber optics, sanitary sewer and water piping, will be replaced and upgraded, the plan states. The Boardwalk would be rebuilt with a concrete understructure and hardwood decking. The project would begin in the fall if the money is available, the plan states. The city administrator met with the executive director of the Assembly majority office in December. Authorizing legislation for the money could be passed in the early part of this year, according to the plan. State Sen. Bob Andrzejczak, whose district includes Wildwood, could not be reached for comment Tuesday. If the city receives the money, it would immediately start planning reconstruction.

The city will continue its efforts to obtain money for reconstruction from other sources to alleviate the local taxpayers of this expense, the plan states. Any renovation of the Boardwalk that would enhance the tourism experience, the Greater Wildwood Chamber of Commerce is in favor of, said Tracey DuFault, the organization’s executive director. “If grant money is available out there for that, we are thrilled, thrilled, to have that come our way. It’s much needed,” DuFault said.

The Boardwalk is one of the top reasons people visit the Wildwoods, DuFault said, adding the beach is the No. 1 reason.

“We have very large investments up on the Boardwalk with the Morey organization and the piers and Splash Zone. The Boardwalk comes to life during the summer,” DuFault said. The Boardwalk needs to be taken care of, and DuFault said last week she was waiting for the final draft of the master plan to come to her. Besides spelling out the need for a complete Boardwalk reconstruction, the master plan details what the city has been doing to keep the Boardwalk usable in the meantime, including demolishing and rebuilding two ramps. Over the past three years, the city has bonded about $100,000 annually to fund major repairs, the master plan said.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:33 am

I hope this passes. The boardwalk is well cared for, but over time that understructure wears out. A lot of states are beginning to realize now after decades of adding new pavement on top of existing highways, that eventually the core crumbles and it has to be replaced entirely. Missouri's been doing that with some of our highways recently.

If they do this right, it should last another hundred years. The plan they have sounds like they're doing it right.

Postby boldikus » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:59 am

Moreys has announced their opening dates and Easter festivities, info below. Also, judging by their park hours, Surfside won't open until May 11th weekend (ouch) and Adventure Pier will finally open Memorial Day weekend (wow).

Whether it's tradition that keeps you coming back or our super adorable guests of honor, Mr. and Mrs. Bunny, there is one thing that's for sure. Mariner's Pier in Wildwood, NJ will be bustling with activity from 12pm - 5pm.

https://www.moreyspiers.com/event/easter-celebration/2019-04-21

Easter Sunday celebrations and activities include pictures with the Easter Bunnies from 12:00pm to 4:00pm at the Coca-Cola stage, located in front of the Giant Wheel. Children 12 years of age and younger can pick an Easter egg for a chance to win an assortment of fun prizes, ranging from stuffed animals and Curley’s Fries buckets, to one-day pier passes and water park passes. Two lucky participants will win the grand prize of a Morey’s Piers 2019 Wild Pass.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
12PM: Easter Egg Contest* will be at the front of the pier under the archway in the tent. *While eggs last.
12 PM–4PM: Break out your phone and take your picture with the Easter Bunnies at the Coca-Cola stage in front of the Ferris Wheel.
1–5PM: Strolling Entertainment

Book Breakfast with the Easter Bunny!

Enjoy a breakfast buffet with the Easter Bunny at Jumbo's Grub & Pub on Sunday, April 21. Due to limited availability and seatings, tickets must be pre-purchased in advance. Breakfast is $16.95* for adults, $12.95* for kids 10 and under, and kids 3 and under eat for FREE.

Menu to include scrambled eggs, specialty eggs with onions, red peppers, chives, Cuban Spice and melted Jack Cheese, sausage, pancakes, home fries, mini bagels, smoked salmon, assorted donuts and cereal, coffee, tea, juice and more. Alcohol and gratuity not included.

Reservations will open the week of February 25, 2019.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Location: I may live in the Carolinas, but my heart is still in Tampa

Postby Kw6sTheatee » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:19 am

When can Morey’s actually go through with that GCI, instead of building family creds??
1. The Voyage 2. Intimidator 305 3. Maverick 4. Skyrush 5. Mindbender (Galaxyland) 6. Fury 325 7. Kumba 8. Goliath (Georgia) 9. The Beast 10. Phoenix
I’ve ridden 139 Coasters, and have been a coaster enthusiast since 2013.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Mike240SX » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:25 am

Probably whenever those "family creds" stop making them a much better ROI than a major coaster would.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Postby boldikus » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:13 am

Kw6sTheatee wrote:family creds

oprah.gif

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Location: I may live in the Carolinas, but my heart is still in Tampa

Postby Kw6sTheatee » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:56 am

I get that it’s a much cheaper alternative to bring in more kids with their families, but I would have loved to see that GCI come to fruition. It’d satisfy my layering fetish, for one.

ALSO— worth noting that Runaway Tram is listed as an $4 million investment. White Lightning at Fun Spot Orlando only cost $3.5 million in 2013, which adjusted for inflation is somewhere in the neighborhood of $4 million too. A Gravity Group family wooden coaster would work wonders for this park— plus, they can give it a steel structure like Kentucky Flyer or Twister’s to reduce upkeep costs.
1. The Voyage 2. Intimidator 305 3. Maverick 4. Skyrush 5. Mindbender (Galaxyland) 6. Fury 325 7. Kumba 8. Goliath (Georgia) 9. The Beast 10. Phoenix
I’ve ridden 139 Coasters, and have been a coaster enthusiast since 2013.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:43 am

Kw6sTheatee wrote:It’d satisfy my layering fetish, for one.

You got the Oprah Stare of Disapproval and then you pull that out?

Postby boldikus » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:49 am

Jack Morey was on Preston & Steve talkin' bout the piers 50th anniversary this year. Interesting stuff.

https://omny.fm/shows/preston-steve-fun-size-podcast/jack-morey-from-wildwoods-moreys-pier

They ask him about the pier-to-pier coaster and he quickly changes the subject, but does note that there is another coaster and water park attraction coming next, and reiterates that they're "trying" to put in 5 new coasters over the next 10 years.

Also, I love when they ask him about problem rides and he doesn't hesitate to mention Canyon Trip (which was always broke) and then proceeds to talk shit about Chinese rides. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!