TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Last time I had any really good food at the point , other than Bernardi's Fries until the late 70's, was years ago at a place called Spiral Burgers. Flame broiled and big and oh so good. They were located between the Space Spiral and Jumbo Jet, and even before Jumbo was there. That was way back when CP still had some independent food stands. Now for some history lesson time. To the person a while back who was surprised the Point had a Flying Coaster, aka Kangaroo, yes, they did. CP also had another fave of mine called Twister. Twister was a tilt a whirl type ride with only one hill up and down. Both were located in the area of the Pagoda and the current Scrambler/ Flying Bobs. It is very hard to find complete old ride info about the Point, even rarer for pics. Ie, they had both a Wild Mouse and Scamper running at the same time. I preferred Scamper. Wiki notes Wild mouse was removed in 1962, but there are pics of it running in 1963. I know, I rode both the same year and liked the wooden Scamper a lot more. ( Even though I got a bloody lip from slamming into the front of the car as it hit the brakes.) So much history is lost. Things like this were pre-internet. The only thing we have left is to rely on old pictures. Ie, Here's the only pic I could find that is certifiably of Twister at CP. I will keep looking for more undocumented pics from the Point.

1592209239_twisteratcedarpoint.thumb.jpg.caf7ec5131de349bd59bca4d580b30b5.jpg

Props to CP making improvements to Steel Vengeance to increase rider satisfaction. I'm glad they installed handle bars on the trains. I think it will make it much more enjoyable for Emily and I. It was a bit too violent for us with nothing to hold onto.

A nice intense B&M Flying coaster could fill the hole in Kings Island's coaster line-up now that Firehawk is gone.

Fixed.

Exactly right! If Cedar Point cared about dark rides we would still have Disaster Transport. "Let's tear down a dark ride and build another one!!! Yay we did it!!" A GCI is not different enough for the average person to remember. Imagine a flyer better than Tatsu or Manta. I'd take that in my backyard over any GCI. And if I craved that woodie thrill, I could just go to my neighbors house...

Cedar Point adding to Brew & BBQ, adding new dining options in 2019. And yes, the Italian style food is confirmed.

https://fox8.com/2019/02/22/sign-of-summer-cedar-point-announces-festival-new-restaurants-for-2019-season/

Any word on whether these 2 new restaurants will be on the dining plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Props to CP making improvements to Steel Vengeance to increase rider satisfaction. I'm glad they installed handle bars on the trains. I think it will make it much more enjoyable for Emily and I. It was a bit too violent for us with nothing to hold onto.

I think I read that they were taking OFF the handles. They had added them mid season I don't know exactly when, but now they are taking them off again. Apparently they were causing some discomfort for riders when both were holding on. I think the "strap" on the outside of each seat will remain, though.

With what happened on opening day with the trains ramming into each other and all the bad press it got I would guess the park was not looking for any more safety situations occurring on their new coaster Steel Vengeance. Their complete ban on phones was not a big fan maker for sure, but pretty reasonable I think considering reading that tweet they were having 30 phones A DAY fly out of peoples pockets. That's just absurd.

I'm glad they're adding the pouches, people SHOULD be able to have their phones in a 2-3 hour line, and without really having any space for a locker area before loading/getting back to the locker area after unloading (kinda like X2) it seems like a good solution. But I wouldn't doubt we'll see phones flying around again, and I wonder what this will do for capacity.

Those are some great photo updates, and thank you for them.

Cedar Point adding to Brew & BBQ, adding new dining options in 2019. And yes, the Italian style food is confirmed.

https://fox8.com/2019/02/22/sign-of-summer-cedar-point-announces-festival-new-restaurants-for-2019-season/

Any word on whether these 2 new restaurants will be on the dining plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are both listed on CP's website as being on the dining plan.

Exactly right! If Cedar Point cared about dark rides we would still have Disaster Transport. "Let's tear down a dark ride and build another one!!! Yay we did it!!"

One of the reasons Cedar Point took down Disaster Transport is because it was a patched together piece of shtt. There were clearly also other plans for that area. The removal of Disaster Transport had nothing to do with any supposed lack of interest in dark rides.

A GCI is not different enough for the average person to remember.

A really good coaster will be memorable to guests no matter what type it is or what records it may or may not break. Phoenix shouldn't be different enough for the average person to remember. Nor Mystic Timbers, for that matter. But, people seem to remember these ordinary wooden roller coasters.

And if I craved that woodie thrill, I could just go to my neighbors house...

Wow.

I remember when the B&M Flyer rumor for Cedar Point 2020 was like the hot new thing... back in 2015/2016. I do doubt it is happening as a ride as large as that would require either the removal of another large coaster (i.e. Cedar Creek Mine Ride), or would have to use a lot of pathway space. They certainly have the funds for it, but is it really worth putting in a ride that large? The Point’s market has basically reached its peak. They can’t really grow their market further, as it has grown to the highest amount it can. So really I would not be surprised if we see something rather like a GCI or an RMC single rail (2 across, but the one in between a T-Rex and Raptor’s size)

I remember when the B&M Flyer rumor for Cedar Point 2020 was like the hot new thing... back in 2015/2016. I do doubt it is happening as a ride as large as that would require either the removal of another large coaster (i.e. Cedar Creek Mine Ride), or would have to use a lot of pathway space. They certainly have the funds for it, but is it really worth putting in a ride that large? The Point’s market has basically reached its peak. They can’t really grow their market further, as it has grown to the highest amount it can. So really I would not be surprised if we see something rather like a GCI or an RMC single rail (2 across, but the one in between a T-Rex and Raptor’s size)

This post is truly remarkable because everything in it is written as if it's fact and almost everything in it is total speculation at best or just hilariously wrong at worst.

"The Point’s market has basically reached its peak" based on what exactly? Attendance was higher in 1994 than it is now and that's before HalloWeekends was a thing when there were about 300,000 less people in the state and when they had a major competitor an hour away that no longer exists... clearly there's room for growth.

The arugument that CP is limited on space could easily support my speculation. Consider a large twisted GCI or Large Flyer. Which one would be more difficult to design around rides? Now a small out and back GCI is doable, but... why? Why would something like that be put in? Because we need more for families? Because it's a Kings Island signature ride? Because we need a smoother slightly longer Blue Streak? Some of yall are bad at this game.

Screenshot_20190226-112244_Google.thumb.jpg.ef679ebfae9a2e3a07524924629a9ecc.jpg

Edited by Cavan

Lol... "inspection"

I guess what I'm asking is when did we know about Valravn being a dive machine? Was it spring of 2015?

The things Cedar Point has been getting (and much of the chain, for that matter) have been fairly well rumored mongered about 2 years in advance. IIRC they slid in teaser slides of RMCs in the 2015 Winter Chill Out presentations.

Well we are off to a great start. I hope we get something to feed from soon whether it be some sort of document or tease. I also hope for a sick color scheme, which I'm sure they will do. I would love white or purple track or maybe something more natural to fit in back there.

I side with you. Pretty much every single Cedar Point coaster has been leaked out years in advance. As soon as we saw those RMC trucks on site and the track being put up, we knew Steel Vengeance was real and not merely a dream. And Gatekeeper’s permits were intercepted by the local news, and Valravn got leaked through the Cedar Point mobile app if I recall correctly?