TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

hell, they call Pipe Scream a coaster, so I'm hoping for a large Dark Ride (in the current location of the Arcade)

Agreed. There is so much SPACE in there. If you've ever been upstairs in the ballroom you know what I'm talking about. They could easily fit a nice dark ride in there, as well as a 4D (why stop there, 8D ) game theater. Could we see the first Peanuts dark ride? Like a Toy Story Midway Mania except Snoopy and the Red Barren? That could be fun, if they could ever get the rights to make something like that...

Secondly, I love flyers, but they a BIG! They seem to have a huge footprint. Which we are always arguing "They don't have room," "They have plenty of room..." Can we just agree almost every flyer I can think of has a large footprint, far more than an out and back or compact style coaster that could come.

Also, do flyers handle high winds well, or would they tolerate as well as Gatekeeper?

Personally, I would like to see a GCI come to CP. Even the small ones pack a fun punch. Great for families and thrill seekers. Invard at BGW impressed me far more than I expected. And Mystic Timbers is equally as fun. Small, compact and big punch. Do those look sexy and draw big crowds? No. But they would fill a void and add the the total package. Something that the park can market as they build the resort side of things more and more.

And let's not forget the boardwalk.... With the old Extreme Sports show stadium gone, and more happening at the beach maybe a woodie on the beach... That's a nice way to end the park at night.

Like a Toy Story Midway Mania except Snoopy and the Red Barren? That could be fun, if they could ever get the rights to make something like that...

The only thing "barren" will be that ballroom

Mystic Timbers is equally as fun. Small, compact and big punch. Do those look sexy and draw big crowds? No. But they would fill a void and add the the total package. Something that the park can market

So to be clear... wood coasters like Mystic Timbers (which helped Kings Island draw record crowds the year that it opened) don't draw crowds yet they're very marketable?

This is all irrelevant if the ballroom has been significantly altered. But, assuming it hasn't been molested too badly, I don't know if Cedar Point wants to completely wreck the ballroom by installing a dark ride and getting rid of a piece of park history. I also think it's a lot more complicated than just putting up some walls, laying some track, a little wiring, and a lot of high tech screens. Just because you have a large building that doesn't mean it's always suitable for a dark ride. For all we know, it may be cheaper to construct a brand new building specifically designed for a dark ride.

Adding a wooden coaster isn't like putting up a few games and installing a new shitter. Just because it's at Cedar Point it doesn't make a GCI wooden roller coaster so insignificant that it won't bring crowds. I wouldn't compare installing a GCI to buying a base model Kia Forte.

Regardless, ffck new coasters and dark rides. Bring on the log flume.

Mystic Timbers is equally as fun. Small, compact and big punch. Do those look sexy and draw big crowds? No. But they would fill a void and add the the total package. Something that the park can market

So to be clear... wood coasters like Mystic Timbers (which helped Kings Island draw record crowds the year that it opened) don't draw crowds yet they're very marketable?

What I meant was Mystic is a great ride. BUT compared to every record breaking coaster they have added, it can’t draw as many people as SV did. Although, they could add a record breaking 2 sheds...

Also, don’t touch the ballroom. I mentioned it to explain how big the arcade’s footprint is (obviously sans games).

What I meant was Mystic is a great ride. BUT compared to every record breaking coaster they have added, it can’t draw as many people as SV did. Although, they could add a record breaking 2 sheds...

SV literally drew no one. Why can be speculated and argued at length, but them's be the facts. Mystic Timbers drew a lot of people.

Also, don’t touch the ballroom. I mentioned it to explain how big the arcade’s footprint is (obviously sans games).

Gutting that building would be a total waste of that space IMO. Which of course is why I'm convinced at some point they'll do it.

One thing I think most people forget when talking about a new flume, dark ride or woodie, is capacity issues at the Point. Any ride would have to have a high capacity per hour. A dark ride like Boo Blasters would just not work. Something along the lines of a continuous loading system, ala Disney's Haunted Mansion may work much better. Capacity is a factor, I'm sure, at the Point. It's something that weighs heavy for any new ride there.

SV literally drew no one. Why can be speculated and argued at length, but them's be the facts. Mystic Timbers drew a lot of people.

Gutting that building would be a total waste of that space IMO. Which of course is why I'm convinced at some point they'll do it.

Well, Steel Vengeance drew me and friends, so I think that what you meant to say was "figuratively." We flew in and took a mid-west road trip mainly inspired by the draw of Steel Vengeance.

And I think that it will benefit from great word of mouth. The locals probably didn't know what to expect from an RMC coaster, and with the opening day incident, I think a lot of families had a wait and see approach. But assuming that locals loved it as much as I did, they'll probably tell the people in their network, and over the next five years, the ride will slowly become the star attraction, and will be for years to come.

For now, I think that the fact that it was in the back of the park, that people who aren't familiar with coasters just thought it was a Mean Streak Refurbishment, and that they didn't really understand what Steel Vengeance was led it to being the crazy opening year attraction that it was -- but as I was saying before, I think it'll have great staying power, and will have long lines for years to come.

Well, Steel Vengeance drew me and friends, so I think that what you meant to say was "figuratively." We flew in and took a mid-west road trip mainly inspired by the draw of Steel Vengeance.

The difference is you're an enthusiast who follows the industry and made a special trip for a ride. Enthusiasts do not make up a significant portion of the parks core audience and I would be surprise if we made up more than 1-2% of any given parks annual attendance. Families are the core demographic parks reach out to and SV didn't bring them in. The numbers show that as they took an attendance hit for most of the year prior to August and Halloweekends.

Don't be surprised if there are longer periods of time between big, huge extreme thrill. We may still see coasters but I'm hoping personally for something along the lines of Firechaser Express or even a new modern mine ride style coaster with lower height restrictions. Dark ride, Long flume. The park has plenty of needs before needing any future big thrill machines.

Same here, plus my two friends who went with me and stayed at their Express hotel for three days. We were there in 2016 for Valravn and had no real reason to go but SV got us to go. And if SV got us to go in 2018 and they only drew 1% more in attendance after adding a big attraction like SV that is not a good sign at all. Maybe without it they may have even suffered a decrease in overall attendance. Either way you can see why they are re-evaluating how and where they add attractions like this and how often.

Well, Steel Vengeance drew me and friends, so I think that what you meant to say was "figuratively."

Good morning and thank you for joining our conference call. We're pleased to announce that our numbers were **literally** atrocious but **figuratively** they were actually pretty slammin'. Any questions?

Edited by coasterbill

I was thinking that in the next 2 years we will see a dark ride maybe under the ballroom, but the old ballroom will not go anyplace. I know they have school dances and other things use that space during the season.

For a new coaster i feel that wicked twister could come down and a wooden could get added in that spot till build on the boardwalk theme.

I was thinking, perhaps we could be seeing an RMC single rail (larger than Raptor, smaller than T-Rex as mentioned in Theme Park Crazy’s RMC Interview) that would snatch the tallest, fastest, longest, steepest, and loopiest records, but would NOT be the primary focus of the 2020 expansion. Instead it’d be more of a side addition, whereas the main focus would be bringing back the retro things that Cedar Point lost in its quest to become the roller coaster mecca it is today.

The park is trying really hard to keep everyone's expectations reasonable since they obviously know that (by no fault of their own), people have worked themselves into a 2020 frenzy with totally unreasonable expectations.

They're PR guys so they can't downplay what they're doing too much but if you look at that quote and you look at what they just told their investors and you expect the park to announce ANY RMC, let alone the "tallest, fastest, longest, steepest and loopiest" RMC and on top of that you expect that to be just a small part of the announcement because of all of the amazing sh*t that they're doing then you're borderline insane.

Anyone else remember the plans leaked like a year ago to increase dragster's tophat height by like an extra 350 feet?! Does nobody remember that? Pretty sure it was leaked last year around Feb. 30th or something.

Anyone else remember the plans leaked like a year ago to increase dragster's tophat height by like an extra 350 feet?! Does nobody remember that? Pretty sure it was leaked last year around Feb. 30th or something.

You're not being serious, are you?

Haven't you watched world wide news on Feb 30th???

Pretty sure you’re just trying to make us all day drink.

You're not being serious, are you?

Haven't you watched world wide news on Feb 30th???

Ikr, I thought everyone knew

dragster3020.png.5da303f733e25f347b0c56d193629ad2.png

Found it!

Edited by JG-77