Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1928: Calypso Springs coming to Hurricane Harbor!
Users viewing this topic: njcoasterguy34 and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby grsupercity » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:14 am

Did they have to cut down trees to clear the land for the solar panels or was it already a field
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Lemur » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:43 am

40 acres were clear cut for the solar field.

Part of it is over the employee parking lot, not the guest parking lot.

And yes, there was a settlement with environmental groups as it abuts the Pinelands National Reserve.

https://www.app.com/story/news/local/redevelopment/2018/01/24/six-flags-great-adventure-solar-farm-settlement-reached-250-acres-jackson-saved/1061279001/

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby jamesinclair » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:25 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:I have experienced the Great Adventure parking lot, and you do not want your solar panels anywhere near those drivers.

At least in central California, damn near every school now has panels over the parking lots. If high school kids can navigate them, I think New Jersey's best minivan drivers could as well

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Lemur » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:55 am

jamesinclair wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:I have experienced the Great Adventure parking lot, and you do not want your solar panels anywhere near those drivers.

At least in central California, damn near every school now has panels over the parking lots. If high school kids can navigate them, I think New Jersey's best minivan drivers could as well

The issue is more with people breaking into cars. The panels would render the elevated guard towers that may or may not be manned ineffective.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Cameras can somewhat replace old school elevated guard towers. Either way, cars get broken into everywhere. It's no different from a standard parking garage. Most vehicle burglaries are from unlocked cars from owner stupidity. You'll always get smash and grabs everywhere you go, which would be pretty easy to identify on cameras or by a few extra security staff.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:17 pm

Lemur wrote:
jamesinclair wrote:

The issue is more with people breaking into cars. The panels would render the elevated guard towers that may or may not be manned ineffective.

LOL there is literally one tower and I can't tell you the last time I saw it staffed. Maybe the early 90s? :lol: :lol:

*And trust me, of all people who need to be paying attention to security in the lot. lmfao

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Lemur » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:43 pm

boldikus wrote:
Lemur wrote:
jamesinclair wrote:

LOL there is literally one tower and I can't tell you the last time I saw it staffed. Maybe the early 90s? :lol: :lol:

*And trust me, of all people who need to be paying attention to security in the lot. lmfao

I actually saw the central of the three towers staffed three times this past summer. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Fright Fest dummy someone stuck up there for laffs or someone catching a nap on the clock.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby DarienPoint » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:37 am

I'm heading to Great Adventure the week of Easter, would anyone think it'll be heavy crowds? Gonna be at the park for two days so.
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 65 || Parks: 12 (I need to branch out and visit new parks :lmao: )
Top 10: 1. Millennium Force | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Superman the Ride | 4. Rougarou | 5. Maverick | 6. Raptor (CP) | 7. Gatekeeper | 8. Top Thrill Dragster | 9. Ride of Steel | 10. Tantrum

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby YoshiFan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Earlier in the week should be ok. Thursday will be more crowded and Friday and Saturday will be very crowded if the weather is ok.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:43 pm

Lemur wrote:
jamesinclair wrote:

No matter how SF tried to spin it, it was always about money. SF always felt it was too expensive to put the panels in the parking lot. When the panels were first announced SF had repaving of the whole parking lot in their long turn plans. Trying to do that after the installation of the solar panels would have been even more costly. Then SF was able to negotiate free paving of the parking lot, but the paving was to be completed in installments with an undetermined completion date. SF was able to promise the installation of the panels in a clear cut field much sooner than waiting for the parking lot to be completely repaved. Environmentalists were not happy about the location but SF was willing to delay the start of building to panels in the parking lot as long as possible. Politicians sided with SF, allowed then to quickly clear cut, SF completed the project a little bit ahead of schedule making it harder for the opposition to continue fighting.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!