TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Six Flags isn't "feeling the heat" from the American Dream mall. They are simply replacing an attraction with a new one since it was really needed because the water park isn't that big to begin with and reaches capacity quite a lot during the summer.

The competition isn't there and no matter how the theme and water parks turn out at American Dream it will still never be a competition and it was never supposed to be, especially with the theme park. Great adventure offers and has rides that American dream mall simply can't match due to the size of the place. I do think the parks will be great when they open but I just don't see it as a competition, even more so because six flags offers ridiculously cheap and reasonable season tickets considering they are basically open all year now.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Even though most enthusiasts would probably prefer new slides or a water coaster, this is the right decision for the park. Management needed something to alleviate some of the "capacity" concerns the park gets on its busiest days, and a large pool complex helps achieve that.

Now maybe a water coaster in a couple more years?

Couldn't agree more. If I ever get dragged to a waterpark, I spend most of the time in the lazy river, wave pool, or those shipwreck bucket contraptions that you can get on without a line. I just don't see the appeal to holding your tube for an hour, inching along at a snail's pace 100 feet off the ground, for a 20 second ride.

I think that any attraction that they can do for the waterpark that's high capacity is the smart play.

Six Flags isn't "feeling the heat" from the American Dream mall. They are simply replacing an attraction with a new one since it was really needed because the water park isn't that big to begin with and reaches capacity quite a lot during the summer.

The competition isn't there and no matter how the theme and water parks turn out at American Dream it will still never be a competition and it was never supposed to be, especially with the theme park. Great adventure offers and has rides that American dream mall simply can't match due to the size of the place. I do think the parks will be great when they open but I just don't see it as a competition, even more so because six flags offers ridiculously cheap and reasonable season tickets considering they are basically open all year now.

I am talking about the water park, not the general theme park.

Hurricane Harbor reaches capacity because there really hasnt been any meaningful competition in NJ.

Obviously, a mall can never act as a replacement to a theme park. But a water park? HH is pretty damn basic, none of the attractions are unique.

Hurricane Harbor reaches capacity because there really hasnt been any meaningful competition in NJ.

All of the following are as large or larger than the waterpark will be at American Dream, and are within a two hour radius of the park, as competition for Hurricane Harbor:

-Mountain Creek, Vernon

-Wildwater Kingdom, Allentown PA

-Morey's Ocean Oasis, Wildwood

-Morey's Raging Waters, Wildwood

-Splash Zone, Wildwood

-Breakwater Beach, Seaside Heights

-Runaway Rapids, Keansburg

You can come up with a million reasons why none of those parks "count" as competition for HH, and every one of those reasons other than "it's not near NYC" will apply for American Dream as well. The only people who will possibly go to American Dream instead of Hurricane Harbor are from the city. A demographic they can more than keep.

The amount of times that HH "hits capacity" is also vastly overblown. It happens may 3 or 4 times a year, on super-hot days.

Obviously, a mall can never act as a replacement to a theme park. But a water park? HH is pretty damn basic, none of the attractions are unique.

I'm never one to defend Six Flags, but they have probably the longest lazy river in the region, and every type of slide you could want other than a water coaster and capsule drops. Tube slides, body slides, speed slides, mat-racer, giant family raft, and a tornado. What more do you want? No waterpark has unique rides...there are only so many variants of water slide in existence.

I can tell you that as "basic" as it is, it has three to four times the amount of things (separate slides, lazy river, wave pool, this new pool, and kiddie areas) to do than the waterpark at American Dream will ever have.

You're also ignoring the key fact that American Dream will never, ever open. This is NJ. They'll mysteriously "run out of funds" and demand more from the state government, or some NIMBY group, the Giants/Jets, or some developer that didn't get their fair share will file lawsuit to stop it. Just you wait.

Wildwood is literally closer to Washington DC than NYC.

If you dont think that, a, American Dream will open, and b, the water park is competition, I dont know what to tell you. Youre simply wrong.

But you are correct that the lazy river is a draw. I believe Dorney Park has 2.

That would be factually incorrect, by about an hour and twenty minute's worth of non-rush hour drive time.

If you dont think that, a, American Dream will open, and b, the water park is competition, I dont know what to tell you. Youre simply wrong.

It'll open, no debate there. As for competition, I think you're forgetting the fact that indoor waterparks are effing gross, and going to an indoor waterpark in high summer season is a special type of effing gross.

I'm not supporting SFGAdv this year because of one thing: Cyborg doesn't get any attention anymore. If they wanted to have a ride based on a woman superhero, they could've done it before; save the ride based on a black superhero for now. (Blacks get attention before women? What kind of Earth is this?) ...And whoever gets upset over this joke is a snowflake who believes in PC.

Thankfully, SFNE has a Cyborg ride opening. (With Grid in it) So I'm rooting for the Patriots while the rest of my family are rooting for the Bulls.

I'm not supporting SFGAdv this year because of one thing: Cyborg doesn't get any attention anymore. If they wanted to have a ride based on a woman superhero, they could've done it before; save the ride based on a black superhero for now. (Blacks get attention before women? What kind of Earth is this?) ...And whoever gets upset over this joke is a snowflake who believes in PC.

Thankfully, SFNE has a Cyborg ride opening. (With Grid in it) So I'm rooting for the Patriots while the rest of my family are rooting for the Bulls.

helpme.gif.00417d2a953a7fcc9c329af7bc928223.gif

No one will get upset, just confused.

You have a way of putting your thoughts together...

THAT MAKES NO SENSE

This is simply not true. Why wouldn't you just google this before you posted something like that?

Wildwood Splash Zone Water Park to White House: 119.73 miles

Wildwood Splash Zone Water Park to Empire State Building: 129.32 miles

#themoreyouknow

This is simply not true. Why wouldn't you just google this before you posted something like that?

Wildwood Splash Zone Water Park to White House: 119.73 miles

Wildwood Splash Zone Water Park to Empire State Building: 129.32 miles

#themoreyouknow

*sigh* You just don't get it. "As the crow files" means nothing.

White House to Splash Zone: 3h 51m, 188 miles drive route Google Maps

Empire State to Splash Zone: 2h 45m, 158 miles drive route Google Maps

Nice try though.

As far as I remember the "solar over parking lot" plan was shot down; this is being built in undeveloped land behind/off to the side of the park.

As far as I remember the "solar over parking lot" plan was shot down; this is being built in undeveloped land behind/off to the side of the park.

Interesting, when did that happen? As I recall, part of the reason for using the parking lot in the initial plans was to conserve more of the natural forest around it as part of an agreement with Six Flags and local wildlife activist groups or something along those lines. Any idea what changed?

Pretty sure SF told the environmentalists to go pound sand. This is the first time I've heard of any agreement between them. Six Flags never had intentions of building over the parking lot.