TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Thanks guys!

Just uploaded my pass to the CP app and they are both listed as ‘2019 season platinum pass’, so visiting KI first will hopefully not be a problem.

Really looking forward to visit KI for the first time ever, followed by 3 days CP and 1 day CW to finish the trip[emoji2][emoji2]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Thanks guys!

Just uploaded my pass to the CP app and they are both listed as ‘2019 season platinum pass’, so visiting KI first will hopefully not be a problem.

Really looking forward to visit KI for the first time ever, followed by 3 days CP and 1 day CW to finish the trip[emoji2][emoji2]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

You'll love Kings Island! Personally, I like the atmosphere of KI more than I do CP, although I do prefer CP's coasters. Let us know if you have any questions about the park.

So this just happened......................

IN HONOR OF ITS 40TH ANNIVERSARY, KINGS ISLAND HAS BROUGHT BACK THE ORIGINAL BEAST TRAINS COLOR SCHEME

The 2019 season will mark 40 years since The Beast was unleashed at Kings Island in 1979. So, as part of the ride’s 40th anniversary celebration this year, Kings Island will turn back the clock with a throwback to the original “flame-themed” color scheme on each of the coaster’s three trains.

The train colors were red (front cars), orange (middle cars) and yellow (back cars) when The Beast debuted.

It has since given more than 54 million rides, the third most in the park’s history, behind the Racer, with 105 million rides, and the K.I. & Miami Valley Railroad, with 56 million.

When The Beast first opened April 14, 1979, it was the longest and fastest roller coaster in the world. It still holds the title as the longest wooden roller coaster in the world at 7,359 feet.

The Kings Island Blog will serve as the hub for all Beast 40th anniversary news and content. Fans of the ride will be encouraged to visit the blog and share stories of their favorite Beast memories. Other blog features will include a timeline detailing significant moments in the ride’s history, fun facts, behind-the-scenes meet-up opportunities and more.

507933977_2019-2-11Beast40thAnniversayTrains.thumb.jpg.5a7d77a8c21e6fc01cdfdf03f9ed306b.jpg

KIBlog

Forget that, I want to see the 4-row cars that it supposedly launched with.

That's something I've never heard before! Would love to know more about that. This special edition of the Beast is awesome and the locals will love it. KI is doing a great job at making a 'quiet year' a memorable year.

Forget that, I want to see the 4-row cars that it supposedly launched with.

I suspect you already have. The current trains are actually the original trains, the parks maintenance staff cut the 4th row off the cars and turned them into the 3 row cars. When the ride first opened it had 4 trains with 5 cars each, when they shorted the cars they scrapped the fourth train and used it to add an additional car to the remaining 3 trains.

That's something I've never heard before! Would love to know more about that. This special edition of the Beast is awesome and the locals will love it. KI is doing a great job at making a 'quiet year' a memorable year.

Yeah, its only something I've read about online and figured by the configuration of the air-gate-rows in the station (4 then a space, not 3 then a space like every other coaster that runs 3-bench PTC trains). This is the only picture I've been able to find:

hqdefault.jpg

I suspect you already have. The current trains are actually the original trains, the parks maintenance staff cut the 4th row off the cars and turned them into the 3 row cars. When the ride first opened it had 4 trains with 5 cars each, when they shorted the cars they scrapped the fourth train and used it to add an additional car to the remaining 3 trains.

Haha no they did not just "chop off a row." That's the most GP thing I've heard on here in a while.

Haha no they did not just "chop off a row." That's the most GP thing I've heard on here in a while.

One of the designers of the Beast, Jeff Gramke, still works for the park and has discussed this at enthusiast events before. The maintenance staff has done all the modifications to those trains, from shorting the cars, to changing the lap bars, adding the seat belts, and the headrests. Those trains are the original trains, or at least pieces of them are I have no idea what percentage is original at this point.

I recommend going to Coasterstock and asking him yourself. He is doing a Q&A during the event this year. Although if you have been in previous years he has explained in the past why the cars were shorted and how it was done.

One of the designers of the Beast, Jeff Gramke, still works for the park and has discussed this at enthusiast events before. The maintenance staff has done all the modifications to those trains, from shorting the cars, to changing the lap bars, adding the seat belts, and the headrests. Those trains are the original trains, or at least pieces of them are I have no idea what percentage is original at this point.

I recommend going to Coasterstock and asking him yourself. He is doing a Q&A during the event this year. Although if you have been in previous years he has explained in the past why the cars were shorted and how it was done.

I'll take your word for it, but color me skeptical. Just seems like something a major park wouldn't do, even in the '70s/'80s.

It is not "supposedly." The Beast did open with 4-row cars. There are some very good 1979 pictures here: http://rcreride.com/html/coastercon_ii.html

Great photos...thanks!

IMG_2232.JPG.04f4bba4199c980deea021365feff778.JPG

That’s from IAAPA 1978 and was the original design for the train for what we know as The Beast, although it is also before the park had decided on a name, they changed the look after the ride was named.

Nice find. I wonder what happened to the head lights.

They were replaced with the sculpted logo they have today before the ride opened due to the park expecting a lot of media coverage. Basically they wanted the rides name and logo in the pictures. The ride did open with the leather seats complete with buttons you see in the photo, but it was replaced pretty quickly in I believe the first season.

If your wondering about the headlights, consider that there is an entire Beast lead car out there somewhere. The lead car of the 4th train was completely refurbished and given to Ruth Voss when she retired. Voss was the head of Media Relations at the park when The Beast was built and is credited with coming up with the name. She passed away more than 20 years ago, so there should be a real Beast lead car out there somewhere, likely in a private collection.

IMG_2232.JPG.04f4bba4199c980deea021365feff778.JPG

That’s from IAAPA 1978 and was the original design for the train for what we know as The Beast, although it is also before the park had decided on a name, they changed the look after the ride was named.

On a second look to the picture I'd like to know what Intamin presented on that IAAPA. It may be Wilderness Run.

They were replaced with the sculpted logo they have today before the ride opened due to the park expecting a lot of media coverage. Basically they wanted the rides name and logo in the pictures. The ride did open with the leather seats complete with buttons you see in the photo, but it was replaced pretty quickly in I believe the first season.

Oh, too bad.. I'd like to see the headlights in the night (although I loved the night rides in the pitch black).

If your wondering about the headlights, consider that there is an entire Beast lead car out there somewhere. The lead car of the 4th train was completely refurbished and given to Ruth Voss when she retired. Voss was the head of Media Relations at the park when The Beast was built and is credited with coming up with the name. She passed away more than 20 years ago, so there should be a real Beast lead car out there somewhere, likely in a private collection.

Wow, didn't know that. As I am a big fan of roller coaster nostalgia I'd really love to see a today's colored picture.

236543985_OrigBeast.jpeg.2739b7bea2a644f797bd395db08b30c0.jpeg

I ran across the color version on another forum so I figured I would share. Here is the original appearance of the train for the Beast. According to posters with more knowledge of the history of the ride this was done 100% by PTC because the park was still undecided on what they wanted it to look like. So it might not even be fair to say its the original appearance. PTC has never painted the trains on the Beast, the trains were delivered to the park with only primer applied and the park painted them in house and has done all maintenance for the trains in house.

• 3 weeks later...

What the hell grade is that workbook intended for, High School? Most of the math is beyond me, but then there are questions like this one:

Bumper Cars resemble automobiles, except for their bumpers. How are their bumpers different?
which seems like it's made for 1st graders?