TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Sadly my guess is a couple years down the road this unique one of a kind attraction gets replaced with a B&M invert. Plus side capacity would be soooo much better

If they could re-use the mountain, it would great to use the mountain for a dark ride, but from what I've heard the problem was mostly the mountain itself, so the mountain will probably be coming down with the ride.

Its anybody's guess as to what KD will add next. B&M inverts aren't that common to build anymore. Only one has been built in America in the last 10 years. Source:

https://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&ml=6717&page=1&order=-8

I think that the better money would be on a dive coaster, traditional B&M hyper, or wing coaster.

Or they'll just add some kind of kiddie area.

sincerely doubt they would put a Hyper *right next to* I305.

and would be genuinely shocked if they installed a Dive Coaster (not that it woudln't be a good fit for the park, as they don't have a coaster of that style. . but because it's so close to Griffon at BGW just up the street).

at this point, I think many would be happy if they just put a bathroom over there.. but I really think it's likely gonna be a flat / flats going in that spot, as that area of the park is pretty coaster heavy.

but hey, what do I know? Sorry to see Volcano go, but I understand why . . and I'm just glad i got a chance to ride it a few years ago.

I'm of the belief that the volcano won't last, either. TBH, I'm of the opinion that they SHOULD remove it alongside the coaster, rather than try to shoehorn yet another attraction into it. Just start from scratch. Personally, I could see a launch coaster similar to Copperhead Strike over there, but at this point it's all just pure speculation.

^^Better yet why not get rid of the existing, already-successful and well established water park and make a new giant volcano themed water park in a totally different spot.

... just kidding, the thought of anyone doing something like that would just be ridiculous.

Richmond's local news station, Channel 8 News, just came by my work to interview me on my thoughts of the closing and removal of Volcano. Kristin Smith Dunlop interviewed me and she said that story will be on the 6pm news tonight. After the interview, she told me she also interviewed the "Head of Maintenance" of the ride and he gave a more detailed description, reason, and problems that were involved with the closing and removal of the coaster.

I have never uploaded a photo or video before on this website, so I'll do my best to record the interview/story tonight and upload it to this thread. Anyone else in the Richmond area can film it or upload it too. I'm pretty sure I'll mess it up somehow when trying to post it.

I must admit a was a little nervous during the interview so don't judge me too much!

Don't worry. They'll cut out any awkward parts and make you look composed. When I was on the news I had to drive a car with a camera pointed 2 feet away from my face, while doing my job... I like public speaking, but felt that it was going to turn out much worse than it did. My point is, don't worry about it. Don't underestimate the power of professional editing. I'm sure you're happy you had the opportunity. I'm looking forward to your video.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Sorry for MY plug. Now, back to the eruption of enthusiast tears.

Edited by prozach626

Sadly my guess is a couple years down the road this unique one of a kind attraction gets replaced with a B&M invert. Plus side capacity would be soooo much better

If they could re-use the mountain, it would great to use the mountain for a dark ride, but from what I've heard the problem was mostly the mountain itself, so the mountain will probably be coming down with the ride.

Its anybody's guess as to what KD will add next. B&M inverts aren't that common to build anymore. Only one has been built in America in the last 10 years. Source:

I think that the better money would be on a dive coaster, traditional B&M hyper, or wing coaster.

and would be genuinely shocked if they installed a Dive Coaster (not that it woudln't be a good fit for the park, as they don't have a coaster of that style. . but because it's so close to Griffon at BGW just up the street).

at this point, I think many would be happy if they just put a bathroom over there.. but I really think it's likely gonna be a flat / flats going in that spot, as that area of the park is pretty coaster heavy.

but hey, what do I know? Sorry to see Volcano go, but I understand why . . and I'm just glad i got a chance to ride it a few years ago.

I wasn't saying that they would put it right next to i305. Did I say that? In my suggestion, they put somewhere in the park that's not right next to i305. And there's precedent: every other Cedar Fair park that has a giga also has a hyper... for whatever that's worth.

And even if they didn't find any room other than i305, a traditional B&M hyper would be a totally different ride than i305. I305 is all G-force and tight banks/turns, while a more traditional B&M hyper would be about bunny hills, floater air, and getting to have a clambar.

I wasn't saying that they would put it right next to i305. Did I say that? In my suggestion, they put somewhere in the park that's not right next to i305. And there's precedent: every other Cedar Fair park that has a giga also has a hyper... for whatever that's worth.

And even if they didn't find any room other than i305, a traditional B&M hyper would be a totally different ride than i305. I305 is all G-force and tight banks/turns, while a more traditional B&M hyper would be about bunny hills, floater air, and getting to have a clambar.

Volcano is right next to I305

the conversation is what was going to go in place of Volcano -- implied by your talk of what they would do with the Mountain.

and Kings Dominion has a huge kids area already (including a Jr. woodie in Woodstock Express).

have you not been to this park?

Based on almost every one of his posts, I'd be surprised if he's been to any parks outside of Tampa, and even that one is pushing it. His title says it all.

adding a photo reference:

here's a pic I took of Volcano while walking next to I305's track in July 2018. .they are literally right next to each other

IMG_4856.thumb.JPG.e6f7aa73510c0da79946575a071b2746.JPG

by I305's track

IMG_4857.thumb.JPG.6300c7e7077ea90155152be38b02af6d.JPG

turning around for a pic of SBNO Volcano

So I guess everyone is too lazy to use google maps? They're in the area but definitely not next to each other.

They should use this opportunity to clean up the racing/sci fi/tribal/snowy mountain mish-mash going on at that side of the park. That area was kind of a shocker compared to how charming the other side of the park was, in my opinion.

volc.thumb.JPG.048733bdc355fd5dbf303f36c6cd4881.JPG

Flight of Fear says don't forget about me, fam.

Unpopular opinion: The Flight of Fear coasters are awesome. The trains are dumb and annoying to get into but the ride itself is smooth, insanely disorienting and awesome. Yes, it's a clone but I sincerely don't care. The Flight of Fear rides are criminally underrated.

Unpopular opinion: The Flight of Fear coasters are awesome. The trains are dumb and annoying to get into but the ride itself is smooth, insanely disorienting and awesome. Yes, it's a clone but I sincerely don't care. The Flight of Fear rides are criminally underrated.

if they were run the same way the outdoor versions were? (Poltergeist & Jokers Jinx), I'd love it and agree with you.

but having those to compare it to - and Poltergeist being at my "home" park, so getting to ride that a lot?

it pales in comparison.

but don't think your opinion on it is unpopular. . hell, if anything my not liking it much is the unpopular opinion. both times I've been to KD, it had long ass lines, and the GP seems to really like it.

So I guess everyone is too lazy to use google maps? They're in the area but definitely not next to each other.

They should use this opportunity to clean up the racing/sci fi/tribal/snowy mountain mish-mash going on at that side of the park. That area was kind of a shocker compared to how charming the other side of the park was, in my opinion.

I agree. That area is awkward. I'm probably not thinking enough into it, but adding a decent mixture of flats and getting rid of the oddly themed areas would make this area really nice. CF could stick to what they do best, which is clean lines and minimal themeing. I prefer it this way. I'd rather have an area with less personality rather than an area with too many clashing themes. I'm sure KD has plans for this area well beyond my worthless ideas.

On an unrelated note, how's KD's alcohol availability? When Emily and I visited several years ago I remember only being able to find one place that served beer. It was located somewhere on the Intimidator/FoF side of the park, IIRC. It was kind of a drab cafeteria restaurant area and you couldn't take the beers outside of the patio. I think they stopped serving pretty early.

Emily specifically remembers three things about Kings Dominion. 1) Beer Man sucked. 2) i305 kicked her ass way too much. One and done for her. 3) She liked Volcano. None of these things increase my chances of her not throwing a pity party when I feel the urge to go back. We'll be in DC in May and she's not even considering it an option, especially over BGW being in reach. Looks like Food and Wine festival it is. I'm not mad about that.

^^Oh yeah, I'm just referring to the enthusiast community.

For me, if a ride is a clone I don't really care if it's not the best version of that clone if it's still awesome. That said, I actually believe that it is because while it's nice that the midcourse doesn't kick on as much you're also racing through "outer space" in the dark and I love that. It makes it one of the most disorienting coasters out there.

^FoF is fun. Too many beers prior to riding is dangerous. Same with Verbolten's indoor section. Almost found out the hard way on both. Old school Premier launches are fun. Long live Mr. Freeze. RIP Chiller.

I'd agree with those who have said something similar to Copperhead Strike being the most logical replacement for Volcano. That said, I actually think it's premature to talk about it.

Based on almost every one of his posts, I'd be surprised if he's been to any parks outside of Tampa, and even that one is pushing it. His title says it all.

For me, if a ride is a clone I don't really care if it's not the best version of that clone if it's still awesome.

Prime example: B:TR

I used Google Maps to look up the proximity of Intimidator 305 to Volcano. And I noticed someone has been messing with coaster names again. Intimidator 325

Also saw The Fury 325, The Millennium Force, Afterbrup (sic), and Invertino (KI)

On an unrelated note, how's KD's alcohol availability? When Emily and I visited several years ago I remember only being able to find one place that served beer. It was located somewhere on the Intimidator/FoF side of the park, IIRC. It was kind of a drab cafeteria restaurant area and you couldn't take the beers outside of the patio. I think they stopped serving pretty early.

It's inconsistent. Few employees at the park is ever capable of pouring a drink, reading a date of birth on any ID that's not a Virginia drivers license, entering anything with alcohol into the register or knowing what the alcohol policy is in terms of where you can take beer. At this point it's so consistently inconsistent that I think it's almost definitely a training problem. It's been this way for years.

At Outer Hanks (which I think is what you're referring to) you can't leave the patio but meanwhile at Haunt they just bring out beer carts in the middle of the midway and let you take it wherever you want (including into queue lines).

There's a place that serves beer to the left of the Eiffel tower and that's basically all they serve. We usually go there since all they serve is alcohol so the employee won't crawl up in the fetal position and cry like a standard KD employee when you order beer.

PS: Do not visit that location if you're allergic to bee stings. The patio is literally infested with bees.

For me, if a ride is a clone I don't really care if it's not the best version of that clone if it's still awesome.

Prime example: B:TR

Absolutely. We were at Magic Mountain last week and even though over the years we've probably been on the Great Adventure one almost 100 times and even though neither of us "needed the credit" there was no way in hell we were skipping it. If that ride wasn't a clone then enthusiasts would declare it one of the best rides in the park (even at Magic Mountain which is loaded with awesome coasters).

There's a little outdoor bar in Candy Apple Grove near Windseeker that serves cocktails, wine, and beer. KD has their own line of beer brewed by Center of the Universe Brewery in nearby Ashland.

Pretty cool they spoke to you. . tho doesn't say why?

do they just know around the office you're a coaster fan, and so talked to you about it?

(they don't identify you via chyron, so wondering)

Pretty cool they spoke to you. . tho doesn't say why?

do they just know around the office you're a coaster fan, and so talked to you about it?

(they don't identify you via chyron, so wondering)

Yeah, the woman who did the story is friends with a lot of my friends on Facebook and they referred me to her. I don't think they gave me a title because I have never been in an official roller coaster club which I have always wanted to join. That being said, I am not the that credible of a source and more of a huge coaster fan (almost like GP status) being interviewed.