TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

LR ran great this fall once it reopened.

The Luminights stuff has increased the late October crowds, but yes everything is running except some water rides.

Excellent, I rarely do water rides and LR running well is huge, as thats why I chose this park to do over some others.

What about a weekday vs weekend? I reckon weekday must be better at that time of year.

I went to Dollywood on Halloween last year; it was a Wednesday. It was PERFECT. The weather was warm, but not hot, and the crowds were... well, non-existent. We walked onto all the rides. The crowd picked up a little in the evening, but it was mostly just parents with little kids in costumes there to trick'or'treat at LumiNights. I absolutely would recommend a weekday.

I was at Dollywood last year on the Friday after Halloween. LumiNights was still happening and the crowds did pick up a little bit moreso at night than the day, but the rides were mostly walk-ons including Lightning Rod, which btw ran perfect all day. It's definitely one of the best times to visit the park!

What will the crowds be like on Good Friday (April 19th)? It’ll be my first time at the park. I’m staying at dreammore so we’ll have complimentary timesaver passes regardless but I really hope it won’t be packed. I’m also crossing my finger at that Wildwood Grove will be open, I heard someone say mid-late April so we’ll see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

To further solidify the rumors of Slidewinder's demise, it has now been listed on Wikipedia as being defunct (if you believe Wiki).

Also, the link to the ride's separate description web page has been deleted. It now redirects to the general ride and attractions page

I also suspect the SkyZip will not be returning for the 2019 season as well, which is not as a big of a loss for me personally. I took the opportunity to ride it once, in it's opening season way back when (and now zip lines are all over the area, so it's wasn't that unique of an attraction anymore).

However, the Mountain Slidewinder, imo was the park's best water ride—definitely the wettest! Such a classic staple for the park to quietly remove, with no last-rides opportunity for us longtime fans.

How does the park decide what to announce which rides they are removing, such as River Battle? While others, such as the Wonder Wheel, and now Slidewinder & SkyZip just fade away.

I do have to wonder if Slidewinder is actually in the process of being dismantled or if it will just sit dormant until the park finds a reason to re purpose the land?

I guess we can find out on March 15, about a month away now!

I also suspect the SkyZip will not be returning for the 2019 season as well, which is not as a big of a loss for me personally. I took the opportunity to ride it once, in it's opening season way back when (and now zip lines are all over the area, so it's wasn't that unique of an attraction anymore).

Well it does offer some nice views of Wild Eagle.

It wasn't a great zipline, but was enough to get my daughter hooked.

I will miss Slidewinder if it's gone.

The Wikipedia edit was done Feb 10 by "Chicagolandcoasters" along with adding Wildwood Grove info.

Only other edit from them was same day, with edit for SFGA (adding Maxxforce)

To further solidify the rumors of Slidewinder's demise, it has now been listed on Wikipedia as being defunct (if you believe Wiki).

Also, the link to the ride's separate description web page has been deleted. It now redirects to the general ride and attractions page

However, the Mountain Slidewinder, imo was the park's best water ride—definitely the wettest! Such a classic staple for the park to quietly remove, with no last-rides opportunity for us longtime fans.

How does the park decide what to announce which rides they are removing, such as River Battle? While others, such as the Wonder Wheel, and now Slidewinder & SkyZip just fade away.

Yeah I thought Slidewinder was gone. My guess is that given its prime hillside location, perhaps a new MACK launch coaster ala Time Traveler is in store?

I do have to wonder if Slidewinder is actually in the process of being dismantled or if it will just sit dormant until the park finds a reason to re purpose the land?

EDIT: Fixed it myself. I just realized my screwup, thanks!

Edited by Kw6sTheatee

^His comment somehow got placed in the quote;

Ugg.

Are quote tags that hard to get right?

BBCode isn't complicated.

It's in the paragraph before the last sentence

And trimming quotes seems to be a lost art too.

^His comment somehow got placed in the quote;

Ugg.

Are quote tags that hard to get right?

BBCode isn't complicated.

It's in the paragraph before the last sentence

And trimming quotes seems to be a lost art too.

I know, right? It's not that hard...

If sidewinder is gone. I would rather have it replaced with a dark ride. i think the park has enough coasters and I would want something cool and unique

I agree with this. Dollywood sadly doesn't have its equivalents to SDC's "Grandfather's Mansion" and "Flooded Mine" anymore, so it'd be nice to see them build a new indoor attraction that maybe could take some inspiration from those two rides, or something completely new, *shrugs* I don't mind either way.

Man... if you'd told me last year that my first and only trip (thus far) to DW would make me as invested in it emotionally as I've been with SDC for the past 15+ years, I wouldn't have believed it. But my god, I loved Dollywood SO much and I can't wait to have the opportunity to go back!

If sidewinder is gone. I would rather have it replaced with a dark ride. i think the park has enough coasters and I would want something cool and unique

A dark ride might fit in the slide’s landing/entrance area possibly, if configured correctly. But the rest of the terrain would be wasted. However, I completely agree it’s time for a new indoor ride.

I really hate to hear it if Slidewinder is truly gone, such a classic thrilling water ride. Classic, genuine fun, it always reminds me of going tubing down a mountain.

The following is just random thoughts that come mind, ignore the order lol

2019- Wildwood Grove Phase 1, 5 acre expansion. Would Dollywood remove Slidewinder this year, and jump back to the other end of the park to expand when they have another 7 acre's left wide open?

Dark ride? The henhouse scramble idea was proposed a few years back (River Battle time) but never happened. I'm not sure why, but when I think of that idea, I think of this shooting gallery up in Gatlinburg so that idea doesn't sit BUT it would fit theme wise beside of Barnstormer in Owens Farm.

Something I could see going in that area is another outdoor theater (Think Echo Hollow at SDC) for this reason. This past year the train was made to shorten its whistle to .5 seconds of a blow while in the park, the only area it can do the classic "whistle" is at the loop. The complaints were made by performers of the outdoor shows, saying it was distracting guests.

I could see this being a resolution, you don't really hear the train up there and its hidden.

ALSO; Wildwood Grove is getting filled with trees and they look great!!!