Photo TR: A Chilly Weekend in St. Louis

P. 3: Final Update - Finding things to do on a snow day
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Photo TR: A Chilly Weekend in St. Louis

Postby SharkTums » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:03 am

The other great thing about City Museum is that you'll find new things every time you visit! It's just such a unique place, let's hope it stays this way!

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:25 pm

We woke up the following morning to an email from the Anheuser-Busch Brewery advising that due to Winter Storm Gia that the brewery would not open for the safety of the staff and guests originally scheduled to visit that day. It was a bit of a disappointment considering that this was a main point of our itinerary, but we totally understood the reasoning behind it. With our main attraction now canceled for the day, we started to try to figure out where else we could go, which as it turned out, there weren't many options because the brewery wasn't alone in closing. The snow from the night before and the expected snow throughout the day had led to many of the city's attractions, shops and restaurants remaining closed for the day.

We weren't ones to let that stop us so we called up anything that caught our eye and threw together a day to make lemonade with the lemons we'd been given.
100.JPG
The streets had been cleared in the morning but not many people were out and about.
101.JPG
Rooster, a local cafe was open and started us off with an awesome breakfast.
102.JPG
We found a local escape room that looked high tech and theatrical and it turns out that they would be open for a few hours before the snow picked up again.
103.JPG
St. Louis Escape also had a series of pinball machines to enjoy.
104.JPG
Pinball is a recent fascination of mine that I can attribute to our recent visit to Free Play Florida and these three pinball machines were all there at that event!
105.JPG
About a ten minute walk away was the 4 Hands Brewery and they too were open.
106.JPG
So while we didn't get to the Busch Brewery we did get to enjoy some quality beer this weekend.
108.JPG
The brewery had some games upstairs and I somehow made the scoreboard for Galaga... I can't imagine that this is a high score.
109.JPG
Still a snowy landscape outside...
110.JPG
As more of the city began to close we found a local AMC Theater that was still open, so we decided to see Aquaman... Even in St. Louis, we were able to catch a familiar advertisement in the theaters...
111.JPG
We found a highly recommended restaurant, The Shaved Duck for dinner and had some quality jambalaya.
113.JPG
St. Louis-style ribs, shaved tri-tip, burnt ends and amazing mac and cheese. It was incredible!
114.JPG
The weather had finally calmed down enough to walk around the Gateway Arch.
115.JPG
This snowman didn't fare too well.
116.JPG
The Gateway Arch was closed during this weekend, not because of the weather...
117.JPG
Well, you know.
118.JPG
I didn't realize that the Gateway Arch was a considered a National Park.
119.JPG
The pavement was so much warmer than the cold air outside that steam was coming off of the floor.
120.JPG
A different view of City Hall as our trip finished up...
121.JPG
One last look.
122.JPG
As we made our way out of the airport this caught my eye and I couldn't help but laugh.
123.JPG
Even getting on the plane the snow tried to follow us home. While the weather wasn't what we planned to experience and a few of our intended stops had to be cancelled, we still had a great time in the city and would definitely come back to experience more in the future!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:44 am

Looks like you made the most of the situation. 4 Hands is spectacular. I haven't been to Shaved Duck but it all looked very good, will have to check that out next time I'm in the city.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:15 am

Glad you made the best of the trip, but that mentality is kind of St. Louis in a nutshell... I'm not, but if you're a baseball fan you should stop by during one summer and catch a Cardinal's game. STL is a huge baseball city. (uhg...) Or, maybe just wait for about ten years when STStl gets it's first steel coaster since 1998 and come back for a visit.

I haven't been to City Museum in probably over ten years, despite living 30-40 minutes away. The full bar caught my eye. It seems like they have added quite a bit.

I've been to shaved duck once, and it's fantastic. We first heard of it on Diners, Drive-In's, and Dives when Guy went there and ordered thick cut gourmet bacon. Roosters is also great. They have opened up a couple other restaurants in the St. Louis area. Great breakfast and stellar breakfast drinks. You may have missed out. As far as the advertisement goes, I'm not sure if you know it, but Ted Drewes is a kind of a destination custard spot in the city.

jlp94 wrote:Great report! St. Louis is one of my favorite cities in the country.

Seriously, wtf?

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby tinaalsgirl » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:46 am

I'm glad you were able to find stuff to do while there! I live about an hour west of StL, and we got 20-22" of snow here. There is definitely more to do in St. Louis when the weather isn't so bad. You could spend a good two days just checking out all the museums and the zoo in the Forest Park area. And it's a bummer you were there during the shutdown; going up in the Arch is SO fun. I've been wanting to go back there now that they've completely renovated the museum there.

Glad you had a good trip, and I hope you guys get better weather when/if you go to St. Louis again in the future!

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!