TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Will Denver never have another park when Elitch closes?

I understand not anytime soon Denver will close Elitch Gardens downtown to be replaced by a mixed used development and I was wondering when Elitch Gardens closes Denver will never have a decent sized theme park anymore. Is it possible that the park will relocate? Not likely but could it or another regional theme park in the Denver area?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And I feel like that park, Lakeside, is probably a better candidate for revitalization than Eltich is for another relocation.

But seriously, isn't this like...the third or fourth thread about this now?

I don't think Colorado people are the biggest amusement park fans. Every time I visit Denver, they just want to get in the Subaru and see what's at the top of that mountain over there. Some friends and family state they went to Elitch in high school and Lakeside is too close to the corner of Crack and Pipe for them to want to visit.

And I feel like that park, Lakeside, is probably a better candidate for revitalization than Eltich is for another relocation.

But seriously, isn't this like...the third or fourth thread about this now?

Lakeside might be able to double in size if they bulldozed the rotting Speedway. However, I still think the new footprint would be smaller than Elitch's, and current owner hasn't shown an inclination to make big changes.

I don't think Colorado people are the biggest amusement park fans. Every time I visit Denver, they just want to get in the Subaru and see what's at the top of that mountain over there. Some friends and family state they went to Elitch in high school and Lakeside is too close to the corner of Crack and Pipe for them to want to visit.

Crack and Pipe is so 90s, it's Meth and Head now.

I mentioned a lot of this in the other thread, but Elitch was pretty crowded when I went last summer and that was with several attractions down for the count. While it is true that Denver has a lot of competing attractions including simply being outdoors, it's still an area full of young people and young families and thrill rides can be a huge draw if done correctly.

The problem is that Elitch was just a bad park... Just not a great selection of rides, not a lot of space, and obviously they didn't really control the land so there wasn't a whole lot of reason to heavily invest in the place to make it into a destination. A new park done well could be a completely different story.

I'm picturing a Toverland type park. Big indoor area for partial year round operations, then some high-profile outdoor coasters and big rides for the main season.

Lakeside is it's own can of worms... the park is awesome in it's own right, and it also drew a nice crowd when I was there, but it was definitely a bit rag-tag. Looked like they had a ton of projects going throughout the park to fix things up and add a few rides, but it also seemed that everything was being done with a skeleton crew and a tight budget. I think Lakeside will keep going on it's own momentum into the foreseeable future unless something straight up collapses...