TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I have a question about y'all's railblazer coaster... Do they have to refill air tanks for the restraints quite often on it. The wonder woman almost without fails needs some air every time I'm at it and wondering if it's an issue that just our raptor has or if y'all's has the same issue

I've never noticed them having to do that on RailBlazer. Maybe someone who goes to the park even more frequently would know more, but I've been on it probably a 20-30 times and never seen it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

California's Great America posted on their blog that their Intamin Drop Tower will receive a nice new paint scheme this year! You can read more about the "theme" behind it on their blog.

https://www.cagreatamerica.com/blog/2019/fun-news-drops-now

Also, is that B&M track in the lower right of the image? Just thought I would open that for speculation...

drop_tower_paint_color_scheme.jpg.f64bbd3a90ec055223f0488217fb5696.jpg

California's Great America posted on their blog that their Intamin Drop Tower will receive a nice new paint scheme this year! You can read more about the "theme" behind it on their blog.

https://www.cagreatamerica.com/blog/2019/fun-news-drops-now

Also, is that B&M track in the lower right of the image? Just thought I would open that for speculation...

[attachment=0]drop_tower_paint_color_scheme.jpg[/attachment]

The Drop Tower featured in the artist rendition is the Drop Tower at Canada's Wonderland, that is why you see a bit of Leviathan in the corner. I am glad to see that California's Great America is re-painting their Drop Tower. I hope Canada's Wonderland does the same with theirs as it would be nice for it to fit within the Medieval Faire section of the park.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, how crowded is this park typically on opening weekend? I’m still bummed out that I missed out on this park last summer and am thinking about taking a drive up there for opening day.

Do they usually have issues with rides not being ready to go on opening day? I’m mainly interested in Railblazer, Gold Striker, and Flight Deck, but the more coasters that are open, the better.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Cedar Fair has finally bought the land that California Great America sits upon. This could more quickly accelerate previously proposed changes to California Great America (front entrance plaza, expanded hours internally green lit rides). In the long run this relieves CF of a $5.3 million rent payment each year for the next 55 years through 2074. In order to create significant impact to the financial bottom line in any one year, the $150 million cost will be spread out over decades through long term borrowing.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/03/28/great-america-amusement-park-buys-city-land-for-150-million/

Great America owner buys theme park property from Santa Clara for $150 million

The theme park has leased the land from Santa Clara since 1989

By Thy Vo | tvo@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group

PUBLISHED: March 28, 2019 at 12:44 pm | UPDATED: March 28, 2019 at 5:01 pm

SANTA CLARA — In a move that could lay the groundwork for California’s Great America’s expansion, Cedar Fair Southwest has purchased the 112-acre theme park site for $150 million after leasing it for three decades from the city of Santa Clara.

The Santa Clara City Council on Tuesday approved agreements finalizing the sale with the Ohio-based company, which owns 13 amusement and water parks across the country.

A master plan approved by the city in January 2017 envisions an expansion of hours and park operations, as well as a new entertainment district outside park gates.

“This is a once in a generation opportunity to solidify our control of 112 acres in the heart of Santa Clara,” Cedar Fair President and CEO Richard A. Zimmerman said in a written statement Wednesday. “The transaction underscores our long-term commitment to enhancing and expanding California’s Great America, insuring a high-quality, family-friendly entertainment destination for those who live and work in Northern California.”

The city was forced to sell the property, which it bought in 1985 with money from its former redevelopment agency, as part of a state law that dissolved redevelopment agencies statewide.

There have been rumors in recent years that another buyer would come along and try to change the property’s use, even though the theme park’s lease wasn’t set to expire until 2074.

“It’s great we’re going to be able to retain a theme park here in Santa Clara,” Mayor Lisa Gillmor said at Tuesday’s meeting. “It’s hard to let it (the property) go … but I think the outcome is going to be very beneficial to Santa Clara.”

Redevelopment agencies take portions of property tax money that otherwise would have been divided among local government agencies such as schools, the county and special districts and use it to improve blighted areas. Santa Clara’s redevelopment agency purchased a number of properties near the theme park, including the site of Levi’s Stadium and convention center.

But after the state dissolved redevelopment agencies in 2011, cities have had to sell their assets and properties to pay off existing debt. That’s why Santa Clara had to cede its ownership of the Great America property.

The company has leased the land from Santa Clara since 1989, providing it with the revenue to operate the city’s main parking lot there and an electronic billboard.

When the city took bids on the property last year, Ashkenazy Acquisition, which has residential buildings, hotels and shopping malls in its portfolio, submitted the highest bid, at $158 million. But the city and bidder couldn’t come to an agreement over the terms of the sale, particularly about long-term use of the city parking lot, according to assistant city manager Ruth Shikada.

Cedar Fair was the second-highest bidder and, as part of the existing lease, had first right to match the highest offer on the property. As part of the sale, the city will transfer the billboard to Great America and come up with a new agreement for use of the city parking lot.

The lease generates about $5.3 million annually in fixed rent, plus additional rent — an estimated $1.18 million this past fiscal year — based on a percentage of revenue generated by the park, money that goes toward paying off redevelopment agency debts.

Because money used to originally purchase the land came from the city’s former redevelopment agency, proceeds from the sale will be distributed among the various taxing government agencies. The city’s share of that is about 10 percent, or $15 million, according to Shikada.

Council member Patricia Mahan called the sale of the land a “substantial loss” to the city.

“The redevelopment agency dissolution has been a very painful and long process,” Mahan said. “In light of these very difficult circumstances, this is really the best outcome for the city and Cedar Fair.”

According to the company’s statement, Cedar Fair will finance the purchase of the property “through additional long-term borrowings.”

Edited by larrygator

Went there on March 24. The park was not crowded. I was there for Rail Blazer. BUT they were only running one train! Excruciating slow line. It is a fantastic ride, but needs a better loading operation.

Patriot and Flight deck are fine classic B&M rides. B&M has come a long way since they made those.

Good day at a fun park.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cedar Fair has completed the purchase of the land upon which California's Great America sits after leasing the land for over 43 years!

https://www.cedarfair.com/news/article/2019-628-acquisition-of-land

Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: FUN), a leader in regional amusement parks, water parks and immersive entertainment, announced today it has completed the purchase of land upon which its California’s Great America amusement park is located, for approximately $150 million. Cedar Fair purchased the land, totaling 112 acres, from the City of Santa Clara, California, which has leased the land since the founding of the park in 1976.

Cedar Fair President and CEO Richard A. Zimmerman said, “Our purchase of the land on which the park operates underscores Cedar Fair’s long-term commitment to California’s Great America, a unique, family-friendly entertainment destination serving those who call Northern California home. I want to thank the City of Santa Clara for being a valuable partner since our acquisition of the park in 2006, and we look forward to building upon that relationship as we continue to focus on the development of California’s Great America.”

In conjunction with the closing of the acquisition of the California property, Cedar Fair recently completed the issuance of $500 million of 5.250% senior unsecured notes, due 2029. In addition to the acquisition of the California’s Great America land, Cedar Fair will use the net proceeds from the notes offering to fund the acquisition of two iconic water parks in Texas, the payment of fees and expenses related to the transactions and the offering, repayment of a portion of the Company’s senior secured revolving credit facility and for general corporate purposes. Further details regarding terms of the notes offering were outlined in Cedar Fair’s Form 8-K filed on June 18, 2019, with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

• 4 weeks later...

Trip report for California's Great America this past saturday 7/27.

This is my home park and i have gone 3 times previously but never stayed all day my typical routine is go in for ERT and leave once the lines get too long, this time i decided sense i had nothing to do to do a full day so I was there from ERT opening at 9 AM till near close at 10 PM. ERT was Top Gun (Flight Deck) and by 1 PM it was packed so i bought a fast lane which sealed the deal for me staying all day.

Rides and experiences in no peticular order.

Goldstriker (4x) Early morning rides seem smoother to me, it was really flying by late afternoon but roughness factor also increased. i got in a front seat trip once a near back seat once and mixed middle rest of the time. I never realized before today how much airtime potiental this ride has probably because before today i never made sure to not let them staple me. what i did was i slouched a bit so when the lap bar went down and hit my stomach i left it there and stayed that way till they checked restraints. laster on in the day on a ride the ride op even acknowledge what i was doing and just made a wew sound when he checked me lol. i also found that in order to keep my freedom of movement in the car i had to keep a hand on the bar and keep it pushed up so i had those few inches of free movement or it would ratchet down on me half way though the ride and i'd be near stapled. this method though greatly improved ride experience as I got lifted out of my seat at least 6 or 7 times throughout the track and it was awesome! I did one night ride and it was great. Operations are doing what they can to speed things up there from what i saw but sadly its still running one train so if your not getting fastlane get on it EARLY if its a weekend as the line can be 1+ hour easily.

Railblazer (5x) I mean its Railblazer, the ride really seems to speed up as the day goes on and i did rear so much my shoulders are hurting from the restraints and that insane ejector. it was running 2 trains solid all day Ops in the morning were a tad sluggish but by afternoon onwards they were dispatching trains before the last one was ready to pull into station but fast laners like myself i'm sure were killing the normal queue at that point and the normal wait i'm sure was brutal.

Top Gun (aka Flight Deck) i lost count but i think 7 rides. did it 3 times during ERT including a front row zen ride on the 2nd train to go out first thing in the morning. did a sunset ride as well. Still my favorite B&M invert but only other one i have done is Batman at SFMM. its just so intense and whippy and slams into the brake run at high speed its always a great ride. I think rear left seats might be slightly better than anywhere else but front as the forces and effect of swinging over the pond at the end are a bit higher but no matter always a fun one.

Demon (3x) the old Arrow is running nicely with two trains wheels look near new on both trains and its a smooth as ever outside of the typical jerky arrow transisiton points. if you know arrow loopers you know how to ride em

Drop Tower (3x) I'm somewhat afraid of heights and only rode this once when i was a teenager peer pressued by friends but i decided that it was time to see if it really scares me still or not and after one ride i knew i had to come back to it again later on in the day and did so twice! such a great drop. i belive it briefly went down middle of the day and after that another car on the tower was closed so its currently down to 4/6 4 person cars in operation as of yesterday, additionally each car has a weight limit so if your planning on doing it with friends make sure there is not 4 of you if your all full size adults in the 200 lb range or they will make someone move to another seat on the tower if one is open.

Patriot (2x) it went down when i was in line for it early on in the day, looked odd like it got E-stopped right after dispatch and the train was only 1/3 way out of the station. upon riding it later i saw the floor light curtains i forgot where there so likely the cause was someone tripped it when the train started leaving stopping the ride. as usual not the best ride in the park but far from the worst ride. its short but the drop is decent and you do get some airtime in the middle transition after the overbank turn and right before the corkscrew that jerks your head sideways as it always has lol.

Grizzly (1x) went out on the first train of the day front seat. boring as usual the entertainment is hearing ppl on it actually scream on the first two drops lol.

Tiki Twirl (1x) Neat flat ride, i took the advise i read from someone to ride in the 2-3 o'clock position seats facing the county fair picknick area as those always end up facing up at the ends and indeed it did was quite fun if your into moving spinning rides, somewhat freaky when its going full speed over the middle hump because it seems to move a bit like it might fall off its rails but i'm sure it wouldn't lol.

Psyco Mouse (1x) starts off kinda slow and boring with the switch backs but makes up for it with the mini hills after that, overall a solid little compact coaster though and something everyone of all ages can and do enjoy i'm sure.

Rip Roaring Rapids (1x) weakest rapids ride in the west as far as wetness factor goes probably. it also broke down while i was on it but they got it back up and going within 10 minutes so it wasn't major, sense its kinda boring on thrills they really could do some themeing on this to make it much better than it is.

mid day i went to the waterpark to cool off and did the wave pool and ripsnort ridge slide, even though it was very busy over there it was a better experience than raging waters in sacramento was the previous weekend thats for sure but i'm not a huge water park person so won't really add more than that.

Atmosphere: in general very good, the summer weekend events they put on are good, this month it was taste of orleans. i think this one was possibly a bit better than the red white and brews one last month, they had many different music stages, lots of costume performers out and about and sidewalk chalk artists doing their thing and of course the best part an abundance of beer and food tasting stands. i skipped the food tastings based on red white and brews experience knowing i wouldn't get my 35$ worth most likely so just bought beer and grabbed some pizza for lunch.

Shows: i decided to catch the 7:30 showing of Elevation Extreme and it was a very good show! I had on a previous trip did the mass effect 4D show as well and have to say i'm quite impressed with how good of a job Cedar Fair is doing with these sorts of things, to cap the night off they did fireworks and i headed out of the park after getting off a goldstriker night ride during the fireworks so i could beat the rush of people leaving the place.

all in all a great time solo at my home park but i sure am paying for it today but thats ok no work for me on sundays

Bonus: image gallery of the waterpark expansion progress

• 2 weeks later...

That's a great slide complex, Knott's added a very similar tower two years ago and it's a lot of fun. I personally love the drop capsule slides, however they aren't great on capacity. But having a tower with 4 separate drop capsules really helps alleviate the capacity issues.