TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Apparently Knoebels did a presentation today at an enthusiast event and revealed that Over the Top is being replaced by a kids ride that looks like the flat ride version of an SBF spinner.

More importantly, Downdraft is just being replaced with a newer model of the same ride (similar to what they did with Galleon).

^ The good news is that the manufacturer still makes the Downdraft, so Knoebels could also be taking it down and refurbishing it (old ride, new parts), or replacing it with an identical model.

Called it! Do I get a cookie?

As for the SBF ride, based on what Bill said, I think it's a Mini Break Dance, which debuted at the 2017 IAAPA Expo and was also at the 2018 expo.

I feel a little bit bad for Knoebels, after all the excitement over Over the Top. There must have been something pretty terribly wrong with the design for them to give up on it like that. I don't know the business side of parks all that well, but I would think that under circumstances like that, they're probably getting their money back from the manufacturer? At least the new ride will likely be a big hit for kids. As far as Downdraft being replaced with a newer Downdraft...well, I love that ride, so I can't imagine a better ending than that, personally!

I don't know the business side of parks all that well, but I would think that under circumstances like that, they're probably getting their money back from the manufacturer? At least the new ride will likely be a big hit for kids. As far as Downdraft being replaced with a newer Downdraft...well, I love that ride, so I can't imagine a better ending than that, personally!

Over the Top was made by the same manufacturers of the new mini breakdance. (SBF Visa) I'm sure some type of agreement and "exchange" came out of that.

As for Downdraft, I think its one of their best flats so I'm thrilled to hear its coming back. I am curious to see if this newer version is quieter.

I wasn't at the presentation where the new rides were announced, so take the following with a grain of salt...apparently the new Downdraft may be in a different location. The Mini Breakdance is definitely going in Over the Top's spot, though. In addition, the potato cake stand is apparently relocating to the old boulevard through the park (possibly the old Downdraft spot, I'm guessing?) and the existing building will become group sales.

That Mini Break Dance seems pretty nifty. Considering I willingly rode a Rockin' Tug and a Frog Hopper last year, I would probably ride and enjoy this. Might take a few visits to Knoebels, though, considering I haven't even gotten to all their thrill rides...

I went to Knoebels in August 2017 (Favorite park of all time, by the way— I came in expecting a permanent fairground setup with some decent coasters and came out shocked) for around five hours, and I didn’t even visit Kiddieland with its extensive collection of rides or the Black Diamond area with the Mining Museum. Also, I am ashamed that I missed out on 3 sets of antique cars, as just two days post-Knoebels I started a love of antique cars after riding Blue Ridge Tollway at Kings Dominion. It’d be easy to spend an entire day at the park to be honest, and maybe check out the waterpark too, I know I would never be bored for a second.

^Plan to stay longer next time haha!

I can go to Knoebels for 3 days and still want more. THAT is how an amusement park should feel. You might want to check out PPP (Phoenix Phall Phunfest) around the first weekend of October. Some coaster/park people complain it's overcrowded, but I disagree as they open the whole park up for it nowadays. I'll usually get there on Thursday and leave Monday. Great time!

Or just go anytime and plan to spend a minimum of an entire open-close day. I have more fun on the skyride, skyslide and Satellite alone than I have at most "big" parks.

^Plan to stay longer next time haha!

I can go to Knoebels for 3 days and still want more. THAT is how an amusement park should feel. You might want to check out PPP (Phoenix Phall Phunfest) around the first weekend of October. Some coaster/park people complain it's overcrowded, but I disagree as they open the whole park up for it nowadays. I'll usually get there on Thursday and leave Monday. Great time!

Or just go anytime and plan to spend a minimum of an entire open-close day. I have more fun on the skyride, skyslide and Satellite alone than I have at most "big" parks.

we did, I think 14+ hours on the TPR trip last year. . and it still wasn't enough.

I can ride Skyride 3 times a day, easily. Almost everything needs about 3 rides a day. And that's not even getting to the food or just resting in the endless charm spots on the grounds. Or socializing if I'm there for PPP.