Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 273 - Food & Wine 2019 Preview Event!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:35 pm

By now we all know about Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and the Flower & Garden Festival. But there is another Festival that is only celebrating its 3rd year in 2019 and that is the "Epcot International Festival of the Arts" which sneaks into the park between Christmas and Flower & Garden.

Let me tell you that this event sort of came out of nowhere and took everyone by surprise! The event focuses around the "arts" and when we say that we mean paintings, music, culinary delights, sculpture, chalk drawings and much more!

Much like the other popular festivals at Epcot, the Festival of the Art will feature food kitchens around World Showcase, a wide variety of shops and stalls featuring Disney art by many different artists much of which will be exclusive to this event.

And of course my favorite part of the event is the "Disney on Broadway" concerts which feature real, legit Broadway stars from many of Disney's theatrical productions in New York performing some of the most popular songs that their characters from the shows also sang. And many of these are the same talent as you can hear on those shows cast recordings!

The event will run January 18th through February 25th and you can find more details about it here:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/epcot/epcot-international-festival-of-the-arts/

Let's show you a few photos and some video from the preview we attended!
IMG_8532.jpg
Hello! And welcome to the preview for Epcot's International Festival of the Arts!
IMG_8558.jpg
Upon entering the preview area we were greeted by a work-in-progress chalk drawing from one of my favorite Disney films, Big Hero 6!
IMG_8580.jpg
Just in case you forgot already where we were! :P
IMG_8584.jpg
Let's start out with some food... but wait... that is actually a BEER FLIGHT! You have a "Neapolitan Milk Stout", and Raspberry Beer, and a Vanilla! With some chocolate delights on top! This was wonderful!
IMG_8594.jpg
This is a Pan-Seared Scallop with red pepper, chorizo and more!
IMG_8595.jpg
Out of all the items I tried, this right here... the "Beef Wellington" was my favorite! Even Gordon Ramsey would approve! :)
IMG_8663.JPG
The festival is called the "arts" so of course artwork is a major focus of the event.
IMG_8708.JPG
Trevor Carlton is one of the featured Disney artists and you can see him getting his groove on painting to the music on the fountain stage at Epcot!
IMG_8759.JPG
He completed this painting of Figment in 11 minutes! It was impressive!
IMG_8819.JPG
"Disney on Broadway" is my favorite part of the event! We got a preview of some of the concert series! Meredith Inglesby and Steve Blanchard from Newsies and Beauty & the Beast preformed songs from, well... Beauty & The Beast!
IMG_8890.JPG
Kerry Butler and Kevin Massey performed a medley of songs from the new Frozen Broadway Musical!
IMG_8990.JPG
And here's all four of them with the man of the hour in his "celebration" costume... Mickey Mouse!
IMG_9033.jpg
Plating and presentation of food will play a very important role in the "arts" festival, as everything will have a very artistic look to it!
IMG_9040.jpg
This Panna Cotta features pistachio cake & raspberry jam.
IMG_9057.jpg
China will offer some very delicate edible treats!
IMG_9068.jpg
I did "Broadway geek out" getting to meet Meredith Inglesby and Steve Blanchard! I've seen them both in Newsies multiple times and I also saw Steve in Little Mermaid. They are fantastic performers!
IMG_9089.jpg
Kerry Butler I recently saw in Mean Girls and Kevin Massey was in the tour for Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder. These are the stars I will fanboy out for! Robert Downey Jr. or Mark Hammil could have been on stage and I would have walked right past them to get a photo of these four!
IMG_9101.jpg
Now she's plating the Beef Wellington! I may need to have some more of this!
IMG_9110.JPG
Hello Mickey! How are you?
IMG_9122.jpg
Always a pleasure hanging out with the mouse!
IMG_9125.jpg
The Animation Academy returns to the festival this year!
IMG_9127.jpg
Do you want to learn how to draw your favorite animated characters?
IMG_9131.jpg
You can learn from a Disney artist!
IMG_9136.jpg
The "Paint by Number" mural also returns with a new painting every week that guests can take part in!
IMG_9144.JPG
How about some merchandise?
IMG_9147.JPG
There will be lots of new items you can get during the festival!
IMG_9170.JPG
Here's an overview of some of the items.
IMG_9184.jpg
And yes, there will be lots... and I mean LOTS of new artwork that you can by from many different Disney artists, quite a bit of it will be exclusive to this event!
IMG_9212.jpg
There are new limited edition pins...
IMG_9219.jpg
...and some even just for Annual Passholders!
IMG_9229.jpg
How about a new Figment headband?
IMG_9244.jpg
What I love most about this festival exclusive Mickey plush...
IMG_9258.JPG
It has little subtle Epcot logos as part of the pattern of the material!
IMG_9280.jpg
And a festival Magic Band! YAY! I will be buying this!!!
IMG_9296.jpg
The food displays they had were just fantastic let's take a look at them. Here's the Pan-Seared Scallop!
IMG_9297.jpg
Once again the Beef Wellington!
IMG_9301.jpg
Smoked Salmon stack with creme cheese and crepes!
IMG_9305.jpg
Pistachio Panna Cotta.
IMG_9306.jpg
Lemon and Blood Orange Tart
IMG_9307.jpg
Chocolate, Peanut Butter and Pretzel Crunch
IMG_9317.jpg
And yes, the "Pop Art" is back!
IMG_9333.JPG
So that wraps up the preview for Epcot's International Festival of the Arts! Huge thank you to Disney for inviting us out! The event will run January 18th through February 25th
IMG_9360.jpg
Oh, yes... remember that work-in-progress chalk art we saw on the way in? It's DONE!!!
IMG_9365.jpg
And you should follow the artist, Leigh, on Instagram: @TheChalkTeacher
Thanks for reading!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:19 pm

this event looks amazing, and that Panna Cotta has me drooling.

Super intrigued by the delicate sugar work from China. is it flavored sugar too? or just the cool design on a stick to munch on?

I'd be star-struck around the Broadway stars. . but how cool to meet them.

I *so* want the stuffed Mickey with the EPCOT logo in the design.. gonna have to ask some friends who live local (and I'll see in Atlanta later this year) to pick me up one so they can bring for me!

great report from what looks like an event I need to make plans to attend at some point.
Last edited by bert425 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:53 am.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:20 am

Disney on Broadway Concert Series?!?! Yes YES YESSS!!! Can't wait to see Heidi Blickenstaff and Gavin Lee belt it out in a couple weeks!

Also that chalk art is fantastic. But what happens when it rains? lol

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Satans Hockey » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:45 am

Stuff like this makes me wish I lived closer to there. If it was around 8-10 hours or so by car I'd have a season pass lol

That beer flight looks absolutely amazing and great report as always!

Postby Hilltopper39 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:04 am

We had a great time at the Festival of the Arts last year, really loved the whole concept of it. I might actually prefer it to Food and Wine.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:32 am

I'm going to brave the crowds on Saturday. I must have the Lobster Bacon mac and cheese, and that glorious pop art tart.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:41 pm

All hail the Beef Wellington and the Panna Cotta!

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:20 pm

I am so excited to finally experience this event this year!

Postby jray21 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:14 pm

That Beef Wellington looks amazing.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:05 pm

DBru wrote:...Also that chalk art is fantastic. But what happens when it rains? lol

Back to the real world. ;)
MaryPoppins.jpg
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!