TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I'm looking to visit the park the last week of daily operation (which I assume is the week before kids go back to school), and was wondering how busy the park usually is around that time. I'd be spending all Thursday, Friday, and part of Saturday at the park.

The crowds should certainly be far from unbearable. My experience with that week in August is that it's busier earlier in the day and what crowd there is will then out as the day goes on. Saturday might be a little busier. It will likely be pretty hot at that time, so be prepared.

• 3 weeks later...

Some news from the ACE Winterfest event in Arlington. According to the park;

- Yosemite Sam's Gold River Adventure will be opening back up, at some point. The timeframe was not given.

- The Oil Derrick will be re-opening this year, as well

- The park announced "Splash! Water Parade" that will take place a couple times a day during July and August

- There will be nanocoasters for both New Texas Giant and Titan.

Also a Coasting for Kids event will take place at some point this season. Date was not given.

- Yosemite Sam's Gold River Adventure will be opening back up, at some point. The timeframe was not given.

- The park announced "Splash! Water Parade" that will take place a couple times a day during July and August

Also a Coasting for Kids event will take place at some point this season. Date was not given.

great news on both Yosemite Sam, and the Oil Derrick.

Was the Oil Derrick not open during the 2018 season?

• 3 weeks later...

I didn’t even know the boat ride closed down! Was one of the only 7 rides (5 coasters) I was able to do in a rainy 4 hour visit, and I found it to be pleasantly surprising. Harley Quinn Spinsanity became my new favorite flat ride besting Delirium at Kings Island, and makes me wish that every Six Flags park gets an ABC Tourbillon. On the other hand, my favorite place to dine at a Six Flags park has to be Johnny Rockets— the other restaurants/dining locations provide cold and rubberlike foods for very high prices .

^ I loved the boat ride as is. I had no clue it even existed so as a fan of classic dark rides and Looney Tunes, it checked all the boxes.

For the Tourbillion, did you ride it with the ride mostly empty? I got awesome rides of SFGAdv's with a mostly empty vehicle, but it struggled to flip with a full load.

Isn't the main benefit of Chop Six that it's on the Dining Plan?

It's the only benefit because unlike Panda Express (which is the best food by default in almost every Six Flags park that has one), it's generally atrocious food.

I won't disagree the food is awful. Not to mention even good Chinese isn't really something I want before a day of roller coasters.

Supposedly the park is bringing back the pink things. Not to be confused with the garbage stuff they had been trying to sell the last few seasons. There supposed to be legit like the original. If this is true, best 2019 addition for SFOT.

Is it good news? You might re-think that when you taste it.

I'll be trying it this Saturday if it's open. Since I have the dining pass I will be overjoyed if it turns out to be even slightly tolerable.

as I noted in my SFFT report from last Sat, they are changing over the Panda Express to Chop Six there too.

and that one went from fully operating Panda Express in early Feb, to middle of re-construction/re-branding on 2/16.

so, yeah.. they seem to be a quick change over (I suspect they don't need to do any changes at all in kitchen set up). . so might be open for ya.

I never ate at Panda Express, even before we had dining plan. . so don't expect that to change for us even if Chop Six is an option. . but you never know. and it is nice to have more choices.

For the Tourbillion, did you ride it with the ride mostly empty? I got awesome rides of SFGAdv's with a mostly empty vehicle, but it struggled to flip with a full load.

Out of 4-5 rides I took on it, the majority were full carriage, and still got full flips.. but there were one or two where it just felt like we were swinging back and forth.

so maybe it's just the luck of the draw program wise?

I will say that sitting in an outermost seat gave me the best rides, as the Head/Foot chopper effects from the spinning pipes really add to the effect.

as I noted in my SFFT report from last Sat, they are changing over the Panda Express to Chop Six there too.

and that one went from fully operating Panda Express in early Feb, to middle of re-construction/re-branding on 2/16.

Just a note, I believe Panda at SFFT has been closed since at least early December, but it looks like they're doing a lot of work there, including rebuilding the entire awning above it. I think there was probably a lot of work to be done inside, as well.

Hate to ask, and I am working on weight loss, but I haven’t been in many years and since the accident not sure how things changed.

I am 5 11 , male, and weight fluctuates from 298 to 302. Most of my fat on my belly and thighs . I do understand it is very difficult to tell because body shape is more important, but I was hoping someone of similar features has been there more recently than me. Any input appreciated.

If it helps, my more recent trip was to Universal Studios (Cali) March of last year, and the only thing I did not fit was the Harry Potter. I fit in Mummy and everything else fine

Just a note, I believe Panda at SFFT has been closed since at least early December, but it looks like they're doing a lot of work there, including rebuilding the entire awning above it. I think there was probably a lot of work to be done inside, as well.

dunno about that, since I was there in early Feb, and tho as noted, I never ate there? would have noticed if it was closed, and did not notice.

but hey, could be mistaken.

an Asian style restaurant changing over to an Asian style restaurant?

seriously doubt any kitchen remodel was needed, since the kitchen would have been set up to produce the same kinds of food, and would still require the same type of cooking set up/equipment.

they are changing the front of the building tho (obviously new signage), and painting - hence the awning is being redone too.

here's the pic from last weekend that I took, once wall/sign went up.

IMG_6609.thumb.JPG.76de574d927c9c5f3471211388f7e69d.JPG

Is the part about Yosemite Sam really true? Because I cant find any Winterfest update that says that. Thank you in advance

The news about Yosemite Sam came directly from the park during an ACE event in Arlington, last month. I was kind of surprised to hear that, due to the extensive damage, but I am happy that they will be repairing it. I will be at the park next weekend and see if there is any work being done.

The news about Yosemite Sam came directly from the park during an ACE event in Arlington, last month. I was kind of surprised to hear that, due to the extensive damage, but I am happy that they will be repairing it. I will be at the park next weekend and see if there is any work being done.

Was it at the event at epic waters or a different one? Also were you there?