TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I've been trying to figure this out since it was originally posted. The second line makes it sound like they are renovating it to look like it did in '72, but they also say it's the first makeover it's had since the park opened.

I haven't been able to find many '72 pictures so if you guys have more of them or side-by-side comparisons, keep them coming.

I have attached a 1972 postcard. Absolutely stunning. Can't wait to see that look return.

Sidewalks were removed in 1982. That same year, the trees were planted and those ugly cement walls went up around the Royal Fountain. The ornate landscaping around the fountain gradually started fading away under Carl Lindner's ownership and was completely removed under Paramount. The buildings received a minor repaint in 1982(?) and the current colors were under Paramount. The Royal Fountain was last updated in 2003.

IIRC.

KI-7.thumb.jpg.82963a4bf00403137bd5abbde5d7099e.jpg

1972 International Street

International Street looks much better now than it did in that old picture. I have no idea what anyone is talking about.

I think the pavers will be nice but I doubt that the average guest will notice this. I could be wrong but it sounds like a lot of PR speak for (most likely) barely noticeable infrastructure work.

While guests might overlook the pavers. The concrete wall surrounding the fountain has been removed, they are replacing and adding additional fountain nozzles which will be computer controlled and feature LED lighting. The pump room under the band stand is being replaced, and the band stand is being totally rebuilt with a larger stage.

I would like to think people will notice the fountain shows set to music. So far it sounds like a nice upgrade.

O'Rourke Wrecking Company posted a video of Firehawk's lift hill being demo'd, on their Facebook page today. They've finished demo on everything to the right of the lift hill, as well as some of the straight sections of track on the left. It's odd to see the loop sitting, untouched, amidst the track fragments that still remain.

As the lift fell, does anyone else think it looks like an AT-AT or some Star Wars robot being destroyed? Anyone? Just me... ok.

As sad as I am to see a fun (yes, I said it) coaster die, it's exciting to think what can and will rise from the ashes.

Firehawk was a fun ride, and pretty smooth for an old Vekoma, but I'm sure that whatever replaces it will be worth the trade. If it didn't have the longest wait in the park, I would've gladly ridden it more than once, but decided it wasn't worth another 40-minute wait when Diamondback and Mystic Timbers had 20-minute waits.

As a big fan of Batwing, I'm sad to see it go before I got a chance to ride it, but I echo everyone else's sentiments that its replacement will likely be worth it.

But if SFA ever removes Batwing then we have a problem...well then I do at least

The ride was unique for it's time and a step towards improving the flying concept from it's big brother Stealth.

My feels for it being demolished are solely because I worked on it's crew for it's inaugural season as X-Flight at GL (SFWoA at the time). It was a fun and honestly challenging ride to operate compared to your average coaster. A lot of great memories.

Onto 2020 however and the hype train for what may be replacing it!

I liked Firehawk. The flying seats were interesting and different, and it was really relaxing climbing to the top of the lift with your eyes closed. I liked it better than the B&M flyers I've been on.

That said, I'm not shedding a tear about it going either. Kings Island has steadily made progress and built new and innovative rides. There will be something good to take its place, may take a few years though. I'm not itching for a new coaster here, tbh. They have a really great lineup as it is.

I rode Firehawk back in May and thought that it was still running very well. While the original flying dutchman never caught on, I think that in a lot of ways it has certain advantages over B&M's flyers. Its a lot more comfortable to be stuck waiting in the laying down position than on your belly, I think.

I prefer facing down while waiting. It's rare I've had to wait long on Manta since most times they are running both stations and only 2 trains when I go. Even when running 3, it's usually not a long wait unless the ride goes down. At least the sun won't be in your face.

They were using both stations when I rode Firehawk, so there was no waiting to get off fortunately. However on Nighthawk at Carowinds, with only one station, you'll bake there in the sun while they take forever to unload/load the train in the station. They have a shade structure, but it seems to intensify the heat while laying there on your back which btw causes your head to tilt back some allowing more blood to your head....not fun...lol. That's my experience anyway.