TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Anyone know what’s going on with West Coast Racers? They better not open the ride and area unfinished like they did with YOLOcoaster.

This isn’t too unusual based on SFMM’s history. They couldn’t even open a flat ride until mid July. Their last new ride that opened in the Spring was Twisted Colossus. Even Full Throttle didn’t open until late June.

I expect West Coast Racers to open in late June/early July at the earliest.

Does anyone happen to know if Diamond Elite membership holders can still get unlimited friends in with 50% off tickets. I remember you could last year, but the only thing I can find under My Rewards / Coupons is a one time use get a friend in for 50% off until the end of January. Can anyone confirm this change?

Just looking for an update on this? No one responded when I asked last week. Thanks in advance.

Found a link on the SFMM site (who would have guessed) it has all your perks listed for your level.

Elite Passholes Perks for SFMM

dumbpassholequestio2n.thumb.jpg.7b3c53940feb1b5ca4e91b73e28f16c1.jpg

Does anyone happen to know if Diamond Elite membership holders can still get unlimited friends in with 50% off tickets. I remember you could last year, but the only thing I can find under My Rewards / Coupons is a one time use get a friend in for 50% off until the end of January. Can anyone confirm this change?

Just looking for an update on this? No one responded when I asked last week. Thanks in advance.

Found a link on the SFMM site (who would have guessed) it has all your perks listed for your level.

Elite Passholes Perks for SFMM

Thank you! I was looking for the info on my phone, but was having a hard time locating it.

At the park now. Does anyone know what's going on with Crazanity? This is the third week in a row I've come and it's been closed with no crew.

Maybe one of the motors up top broke. That seems to be the area they’ve been working on.

At the park now. Does anyone know what's going on with Crazanity? This is the third week in a row I've come and it's been closed with no crew.

Maybe one of the motors up top broke. That seems to be the area they’ve been working on.

That is indeed the case. The swinging motor failed on Tuesday, January 8th in the middle of a cycle. This left the frisbee full of passengers free-swinging for about 20 min until it finally lost momentum and came to a halt.

Yes, I did witness this and I do have video saved on my phone of the incident. This will probably be a lengthy fix.

That is indeed the case. The swinging motor failed on Tuesday, January 8th in the middle of a cycle. This left the frisbee full of passengers free-swinging for about 20 min until it finally lost momentum and came to a halt.

Yes, I did witness this and I do have video saved on my phone of the incident. This will probably be a lengthy fix.

Saw it run two test cycles this afternoon...

So today was the first day of them using the watches as the flash pass. Took me an hour to get my flash passes as they were having trouble with the system. Accesso(sp) was on hand helping with problems. It took 30 min to get in the gate and an hour in flash pass so i did not get going till noon. It was a fun day though.

Saw it run two test cycles this afternoon...

That’s good. Perhaps won’t take much longer to repair after all.

That is indeed the case. The swinging motor failed on Tuesday, January 8th in the middle of a cycle. This left the frisbee full of passengers free-swinging for about 20 min until it finally lost momentum and came to a halt. Yes, I did witness this and I do have video saved on my phone of the incident. This will probably be a lengthy fix.

Best frisbee ride ever?

As a ride op, I would think the first gut reaction when there is a big loud noise or something went wrong is to hit the E-Etop. This generally cuts power to components of the ride and I would think some sort of brake on a pendulum at 70mph that can't adjust wouldn't be a good idea. I'm not an expert by any means but it does make sense if there is something mechanically catastrophic happening. E-stops aren't meant to put the ride back in it's original position. In this case even if the motor was working, it would have likely coasted to a stop. Roller coasters will stop at the next block, but they are made to be long enough for it to come to a complete stop, albeit pretty abrupt in some cases.

I'm curious if there are any other frisbee type rides that do have some sort of brake with the E-Stop. I know on a swinging ship ride I encountered there are similar results, so generally if you need to stop the ride immediately you would want to stop the ride early vs cut power to it. Unless something really bad is happening where you need to cut power. If someone needs to get off the ride immediately because they are injured or get hit by a seagull Fabio style on Crazanity or whatever, hitting the E-Stop would be a fail even though that might be the gut reaction.

This can also cause problems when you are a supervisor walking by at the park, spot something extremely wrong, and run to the ride and hit the E-Stop without being properly trained on the ride. People without proper training, even a ride supervisor, maybe shouldn't be touching the control panel even in an emergency. And guests on the sidelines who are yelling at you to hit the E-Stop.

4081eae3599305037009f0a453770679.jpg

Obviously depends on the situation...

Ah the good old days.

Best frisbee ride ever?

I know, right? Nobody's in danger as long as the restraints are good, so enjoy it!

Call me crazy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the motor failed because of them shortening the ride cycle/ending it early because of crowds or someone taking their phone out on the ride. Either way, I just saw footage of it testing today on Instagram, so hopefully it will reopen soon!

You're crazy. Running the ride LESS will not wear out an electrical motor faster. And how would someone taking their phone out in any way affect the machinery?

Call me crazy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the motor failed because of them shortening the ride cycle/ending it early because of crowds or someone taking their phone out on the ride. Either way, I just saw footage of it testing today on Instagram, so hopefully it will reopen soon!

Exactly right. Going along with good ideas, you should take 101 and 23 to the park

You're crazy. Running the ride LESS will not wear out an electrical motor faster. And how would someone taking their phone out in any way affect the machinery?

As is the case with any motor, shorter cycles would cause more wear and tear due to more frequent heating and cooling, as well as various components being placed under a heavier load when the motor is accelerating and decelerating/braking the pendulum - as opposed to running at a constant speed.

The ride ops stop the ride when they see someone take their phone out - thus causing more acceleration/deceleration wear and tear than there otherwise would have been if the ride was able to keep going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As is the case with any motor, shorter cycles would cause more wear and tear due to more frequent heating and cooling, as well as various components being placed under a heavier load when the motor is accelerating and decelerating/braking the pendulum - as opposed to running at a constant speed.

The ride ops stop the ride when they see someone take their phone out - thus causing more acceleration/deceleration wear and tear than there otherwise would have been if the ride was able to keep going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree, shortening the ride cycle would actually lower the temperature of the motors. Each time the pendulum changes direction so does the motors. During the direction change the magnetic fields in the motors will collapse as the drives slows the motors in preparation for the direction change. When the drives begins turning the motors the other direction, the motors will draw a lot of current (in-rush current) in order to recreate the magnetic fields lost during the direction change. With each direction change the motor temperature will increase as a result of the in-rush current. By decreasing the number of swings the motors won't get as hot.

Thanks for the backup. At least someone else knows how electric motors work LOL.

Anyone have any idea how crowds will be this Sunday 1/27? I'm going with some friends that asked about Flash Pass but I told them we won't need it as long as we get to the park at opening.

I saw online that it's a Bring a Friend for $9.99 day, how much worse will this make the crowds?