TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ I would hope the people that do go out of their way to go on these things and get special passes and feel the need to ride kiddie rides are in the minority... -- I don't get it either. A family ride is one thing, but a ride that requires a kid to go on and you don't have any kids?....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know you weren't talking to folks like me specifically, but willing to explain why I got on it:

I only rode it because adults were able to during nightime ERT during Coastermania! 2017.

otherwise, I don't understand the effort to go on it either.. I mean, I know it's the first Intamin. . or something like that. but yeah, if it wasn't open for adults during the latenight ERT? I wouldn't have bothered with it

I think parks requiring kids to go on rides is getting more and more rare. I believe that when this happens its due to capacity issues. When there's no lines for a kiddie coaster, they'll usually waive this rule, if there even is a rule for it. In my experience, the kiddie coasters are usually walk-ons unless the parks is incredibly crowded... or the capacity is just unprecedentedly terrible - like those single rail suspended coasters that you only saw at IOA and KI.

In my mind, if there's little to no wait for a coaster, I want to get on it. Not just for the credit, but for the experience of doing everything that I paid for. And as I was saying, somethings the coasters are kinda fun too. I probably wouldn't bother if the line was long and/or if the park used a pay per ride model.

They moved Brews and BBQ later too, maybe they're having problems staffing early season events like that..

https://www.cedarpoint.com/play/events/frontier-festival

By the sounds of the website it looks like it's going to be less focused on food & alcohol and more focused on entertainment

They are renaming it to "frontier festival", and it says there will be "dozens" of beverages to sample... they had a whole lot more than that before! I guess we'll find out more soon, maybe I shouldn't speak too soon. They had a good thing going.

I'm one of the few enthusiasts that do not desire kiddie credits. I haven't been on a kiddie coaster since I was....a kiddie.

I’m with you, but I wasn’t always this way. For me, I guess I just matured into making this hobby something that I completely don’t take seriously. I think there are a lot of us who skip coasters they could care less about, unless it’s completely convenient. I spent two days at Hershey and laugh track was never convenient. I missed an indoor copy of a coaster type that has done very little for me. Big deal.

There are a lot of people who don’t really know where they are in their coaster count. If it weren’t for coastercounter.com, I would be clueless. I usually forget to enter my coasters until weeks later. When I hit my 200 I had no idea which coaster it was on, but I know I was at Hershey. It’s neat, but it means nothing. It’s not synonymous with the amount of fun I’ve had during this hobby compared to someone who has hit 300. I always enjoy 2nd day or revisits the most.

I like that you’re casual about it. It’s a good thing. No one likes an overzealous hobbyist of any type. Even in ice hockey we laugh at people who take it way too seriously. They’re the dudes who always suck, but they yell coaching advice from the bench. They keep track of how many goals they score in pickup hockey and recreation league sessions.

I can imagine how much it must suck to work with a coaster fanboy when you’re a regular guy who makes the mistake of asking them how their trip was or what roller coaster is their favorite.

I was denied such a pass for Wilderness Run. They said they only give those in clear cases where an adult has special needs.

This probably should have been embarrassing. Just reason #1291 not to go to coastermania or hardcore enthusiast events. I was weirded out enough at Coastercampout, but there was little involvement with the group.

^Great! Seriously, I can’t imagine going to CP and not staying on property if it’s not your local park! Even if I went once a year, I would stay on property. The convenience of outweighs anything else including price.

I don't know, it takes 5-10 minutes or less to drive from an Airbnb in Sandusky to the park. If you have a Gold or Platinum Pass you get the same early entry as the hotel guests. You make rope drop as a non-hotel guest and you'll get very close parking. Walk to the hotel entrance. Not that many extra steps, and you get a much bigger and nicer placer to stay at a small fraction of the cost.

But that being said, I certainly support anyone staying on site and supporting the park. I'm not a cheapskate myself, but I appreciate a good deal. If anyone wants to full CP experience I fully support it, and I support people supporting my #1 park in the world.

but you can’t just walk back to the room, drop a deuce in a private and clean toilet and be back to your day. that’s the best part for me. LOL

Amen to that.

Edited by prozach626

*sorry for the double post*

We 'WERE' on the fence about going to Coaster Campout, since it's been moved to the weekend before the 4th of July. Coaster Campout is Saturday and Sunday, with Independence day landing on the following Thursday. I think both the weekend before has almost as much potential as being absolutely fffcked (packed) as the weekend after. We went a couple years ago on the Friday/Sat a week or so before July 4th and it we waited 45 minutes for Dragster with FL+. Everything else was 20 or so minutes, but with me being used to KI-Type park FL+ perks, it was kind of a shocker.

Emily and I talked it over about maybe going to CP on our own terms in early June. Last year when we went in mid May for Coaster Campout, the longest we waited was about 15 minutes for the top tier rides, using FL+. I'm a spoiled rotten little bitch FL+ user. I want to pay for it. I want to get the most out of it. We've opted for either a Saturday and Sunday, or after brainstorming, maybe a Sunday and Monday. The reasoning is that Emily is going to have to take off two days in each scenario, so why not the days it will be less busy? Coaster nerd common sense will tell you that Sunday and Monday will be less busy. Right, right? My question is that will we be able to get some pretty good use out of our FL+ on a Sunday and Monday the week 'after' Memorial Day weekend? Memorial Day is Thursday (05/31). I know for sure the weekend following Independence Day will be a shit show. We're contemplating going the following Sat (06/08) - Sun (06/09), or the following Sun and Mon (06/10). Looking for some input. We'll be staying at breakers, because as a user stated previously, you can go back to your hotel and take a dump. Maybe even a post dump shower.

^ I would hope the people that do go out of their way to go on these things and get special passes and feel the need to ride kiddie rides are in the minority... -- I don't get it either. A family ride is one thing, but a ride that requires a kid to go on and you don't have any kids?....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We'll.. I can see your point.

But when we were there after eight ours flight to Newark and a thousand miles road trip through the northwest over eleven days Wilderness Run was the first coaster we came along that didn't have a huge line this afternoon, so it was the first coaster we came to a cedar point. We didn't know that it was kids only (though we surely knew that it was a kiddy coaster, but in Germnay you can ride them as an adult alone), so we asked the ride OP politely if we could ride and she told us "no", asked where we came from and after a short, nice dialogue she advised us to ask for the possibility to ride in town hall. So we did that some hours later.

So yeah, somehow credit whoring. But no as a matter of principle, just because the situation led to it. In Kings Island and Knoebels we didn't di the kiddy coasters and didn't ask about a possibility.

But we also knew it was riddiculous and even made the jokes about our special needs then!

Don't take my pro-Airbnb attitude as one that is against staying on site. I think that either option works in the right situation. It just depends on what your group of friends or your family prefers. I do appreciate people supporting Cedar Point and giving them as much business as you can. And yes, one must always carefully consider your bowl movement schedule.

So yeah, somehow credit whoring. But no as a matter of principle, just because the situation led to it. In Kings Island and Knoebels we didn't di the kiddy coasters and didn't ask about a possibility.

Quick little PSA since someone mentioned Knoebel's kiddie coaster: Kosmo's Curves is a legitimately good coaster that (at least in the back) that is worth waiting for. I waited like 15 min and I unironically believe it was worth it.

Don't take my pro-Airbnb attitude as one that is against staying on site. I think that either option works in the right situation. It just depends on what your group of friends or your family prefers. I do appreciate people supporting Cedar Point and giving them as much business as you can. And yes, one must always carefully consider your bowl movement schedule.

It's all good, man.

My question is that will we be able to get some pretty good use out of our FL+ on a Sunday and Monday the week 'after' Memorial Day weekend? Memorial Day is Thursday (05/31). I know for sure the weekend following Independence Day will be a shit show. We're contemplating going the following Sat (06/08) - Sun (06/09), or the following Sun and Mon (06/10). Looking for some input. We'll be staying at breakers, because as a user stated previously, you can go back to your hotel and take a dump. Maybe even a post dump shower.

Lol if you have to shower after a dump you might want to change your diet.

That Monday will be dead. Especially with FL+ you'll pretty much be able to ride what you want whenever, with the possible exceptions of SV, Maverick, and MF (since the merge point isn't at the station).

My question is that will we be able to get some pretty good use out of our FL+ on a Sunday and Monday the week 'after' Memorial Day weekend? Memorial Day is Thursday (05/31). I know for sure the weekend following Independence Day will be a shit show. We're contemplating going the following Sat (06/08) - Sun (06/09), or the following Sun and Mon (06/10). Looking for some input. We'll be staying at breakers, because as a user stated previously, you can go back to your hotel and take a dump. Maybe even a post dump shower.

Lol if you have to shower after a dump you might want to change your diet.

That Monday will be dead. Especially with FL+ you'll pretty much be able to ride what you want whenever, with the possible exceptions of SV, Maverick, and MF (since the merge point isn't at the station).

That's the day that I finally accepted: June 10 and 11. I'll go ask in the KI forum, but it's KI open during ther week in June, since I plan to go there after or before CP? Either they haven't posted their schedule yet, or I can't open it.

^ Website says January 24th, 2019

Source:

https://www.cedarpoint.com/play/events/coastermania

Whoa, tomorrow! Thanks! Glad I checked back just in time.

As for where to stay I havent been on site since HS when we went on family vacations aka the parents were paying

On my own I usually do breakers express, at least in my experience was solidly cheaper but with all the perks and only slightly less convenient. Thought for first timers I always recommend staying on site, theres nothing like it.

All I know is I wont repeat my mistake of waiting too long. Last time nothing was near by that was remotely affordable, was strapped for cash, and I ended up getting a motel in Loraine. Wouldnt recommend esp for an event and had to leave at 515 am!

I'm still curious if anyone can tall me about how the crowds typically are the weekend after Memorial Day weekend. We're looking to go on the Sunday and Monday after Memorial Day weekend. 06/09 and 06/10. We're going to get FL+ regardless, but I was wondering what kind of use I could somewhat expect to get out of it.

I've used FL+ at the end of June, which resulted in sometimes half hour waits. But, I've used it in March where almost everything was walk-on or less than 10-15 minutes. Can I expect something in the middle, or is it going to be typical mid-summer waits where everything will be about a half hour, as it was in late June? I think we even waited 45 minutes to an hour for TTD that year.

I'm still curious if anyone can tall me about how the crowds typically are the weekend after Memorial Day weekend. We're looking to go on the Sunday and Monday after Memorial Day weekend. 06/09 and 06/10. We're going to get FL+ regardless, but I was wondering what kind of use I could somewhat expect to get out of it.

I've used FL+ at the end of June, which resulted in sometimes half hour waits. But, I've used it in March where almost everything was walk-on or less than 10-15 minutes. Can I expect something in the middle, or is it going to be typical mid-summer waits where everything will be about a half hour, as it was in late June? I think we even waited 45 minutes to an hour for TTD that year.

The crowds are going to be pretty huge I believe. Any time that the kids are out of school outside of the summer (granted, the summer is packed as well) will bring big crowds. Amusement parks tend to live and die by the school calendar. But on the bright side, the park will be fully operational then, so the lines might not be too much longer in terms of actual wait time. And its pretty exciting to watch ride ops in full swing and urgency.

You shouldn't worry too much. If memory serves me correctly that should be like some of the best days to use fastlane. The park will be crowded enough for it to feel worth it but the fastlane lines shouldn't get above 15ish minutes... Except Steel Vengeance. That'll probably still be like 45 minutes.

^ I went to Coastermania in 2016 and 2018 and with the exception of the new rides (Valravn in 16, SV in 18) which can generate large crowds, sometimes coasters like the three big Intamins will draw lines of 45-60 minutes, but everything else almost never gets past 20 minutes, sometimes not even that; most of the coasters will be walk-on. You should be fine.

Memorial Day weekend is May 25-27, with Memorial Day being the 27th. It always falls on the last Monday of May, not the last day of the month. The following weekend would be the 1st-2nd and Monday the 3rd should be a great "slow" day there. That weekend should be manageable in comparison to Memorial Day or 4th Of July. The weekend after that should still be as well, especially on that Monday (June 10th).

The crowds are going to be pretty huge I believe. Any time that the kids are out of school outside of the summer (granted, the summer is packed as well) will bring big crowds. Amusement parks tend to live and die by the school calendar. But on the bright side, the park will be fully operational then, so the lines might not be too much longer in terms of actual wait time. And its pretty exciting to watch ride ops in full swing and urgency.

The first couple of weeks in June are not that bad, on weekdays at least. I was there June 11-13 (M-W) this past year and it was pretty slow compared to what I expected. I walked on most of the coasters over those 3 days. The only exceptions were Steel Vengeance (45-55 min waits, but did Early Entry and early evening as it was 2-3 hours generally between those times) and Millennium Force (30-45 min waits). The longest I waited for Maverick was 15 minutes, but walked on the first try. I even almost walked on TTD with a 3-4 train wait each time. That was likely due to timing as I would just happen to be near when it would open...lol

Memorial Day weekend is May 25-27, with Memorial Day being the 27th. It always falls on the last Monday of May, not the last day of the month. The following weekend would be the 1st-2nd and Monday the 3rd should be a great "slow" day there. That weekend should be manageable in comparison to Memorial Day or 4th Of July. The weekend after that should still be as well, especially on that Monday (June 10th).

The first couple of weeks in June are not that bad, on weekdays at least. I was there June 11-13 (M-W) this past year and it was pretty slow compared to what I expected. I walked on most of the coasters over those 3 days. The only exceptions were Steel Vengeance (45-55 min waits, but did Early Entry and early evening as it was 2-3 hours generally between those times) and Millennium Force (30-45 min waits). The longest I waited for Maverick was 15 minutes, but walked on the first try. I even almost walked on TTD with a 3-4 train wait each time. That was likely due to timing as I would just happen to be near when it would open...lol

Aren't the first few weeks of June a time that school is in session? I could see it being pretty dead, because you'd be a pretty irresponsible parent to pull your kids from school when Finals are coming up and you're only a couple of weeks ago away to the summer. As I was saying before, just study the local school calendar and try to go when school is in session. You might hit some field trips unfortunately, but if its ever going to be dead and full of other fellow enthusiasts its going to be when school is in session.

Aren't the first few weeks of June a time that school is in session? I could see it being pretty dead, because you'd be a pretty irresponsible parent to pull your kids from school when Finals are coming up and you're only a couple of weeks ago away to the summer. As I was saying before, just study the local school calendar and try to go when school is in session. You might hit some field trips unfortunately, but if its ever going to be dead and full of other fellow enthusiasts its going to be when school is in session.

It depends on the school system. Sandusky (OH) City Schools last day is May 31st with their high school Graduation on June 2nd. I live in Alachua County (here in FL) and our last day is May 31st also. Most around the country seem to be through before Memorial Day or the week of depending on where they are. I do know there are some who go through the 2nd week of June also.