TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

All of the animations and photos we've seen has this coaster placed in a grass field, so I'm excited to see how it fits in with the surrounding area and rides. Definitely my most anticipated roller coaster for next year even though I likely will not be riding it.

We typically know what to expect from B&M, Mack, and Premier, but Steel Curtain and Maxx Force are very different from what we've seen here in the US lately and are both huge steps for S&S.

• 3 weeks later...

Some awesome new shots of Steel Curtain's construction progress were just posted on the park's Facebook page!!

Looks like they took advantage of the great (and random) almost 60-degree January weather day, and are now onto the coaster's corkscrew!

The more I see of this ride, the more I really dig it!!

Courtesy of the park's Facebook post:

KW_SC_010819_1.jpg.ed3be3ffd51cc81d85d55bb2ad9e2b65.jpg

Corkscrew time!

KW_SC_010819_2.thumb.jpg.764928eec5773f5831ff5ed0a6754af2.jpg

The colors (to me anyway) seem perfect

KW_SC_010819_3.jpg.8bdfba4a6ce8afe7ddb1189b66b4dcdd.jpg

KW_SC_010819_4.jpg.4671ed1ab2e59fc923a81444a9137f4e.jpg

49384876_10156296741189865_6698717275886714880_n.thumb.jpg.60dad17d093855f469c007d8dd50d53d.jpg

49938361_10156296741179865_1050224060555853824_n.jpg.c266bcc851059e4c86d7940f7612e38f.jpg

49896028_10156293177119865_5311915620688723968_n.jpg.d9c5e55073ab574a01fc77893b898821.jpg

49705976_10156293177174865_4538672008187084800_n.thumb.jpg.1e65cc5d2e587478ed53806e9c9d2918.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

It would be kind of cool if there was a pre-ride video, and immersive theming in the station and up the lifthill, but the twist that the park was hiding is that its actually themed to the Cold War and the fear of the Arms Race and Mutually Assured Destruction. Then the post-credit scenes shows Putin interfering with our elections and controlling Trump like a puppet, showing that the Iron ("Steel") Curtain never really went away.

It would be kind of cool if there was a pre-ride video, and immersive theming in the station and up the lifthill, but the twist that the park was hiding is that its actually themed to the Cold War and the fear of the Arms Race and Mutually Assured Destruction. Then the post-credit scenes shows Putin interfering with our elections and controlling Trump like a puppet, showing that the Iron ("Steel") Curtain never really went away.

I'm sorry... but what!?

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

I hope this thing will look better in real life than what I am expecting. I just find the entire structure hideous and there is just an excessive amount of structure used due to the track design (and S&S or whatever not utilizing a deeper spine to allow for longer spans without support). I can't help but think that it's somewhat, sloppy engineering? Could be that support fabrication is just that much cheaper, given its just long pipe with welded flanges, versus track which is a bit more complex in fab which is why they designed it the way they did.

Anywho, looks like a blast!

This escalated very quickly.

So, I've never been to Kennywood, but I'd definitely love to go, especially considering that in my childhood years, I was under the misconception that Kennywood was named after Kenny Rogers because there was a park called Dollywood that was named after Dolly Parton. Imagine my surprise when I got older and Google came around and I learned that Kennywood has been Kennywood since its beginning in 1898. LOL

I can't tell if this is a superb job at trolling, or someone doing a terrible job at venting political beliefs in one of the most unfitting places to do so possible.

wtf. lol

it only gets better as you read it. .

looks funky and industrial, and it’s quite unique

Sounds like a perfect fit for Pittsburgh and Kennywood

yea, what he said. Its not as if the parks surrounded by lush palms and crystal blue lakes.

Have you seen Kennywood.... It sits adjacent to a highway/parking lot and atop the muddy Mon river across from a Steel Mill.

Its perfect (for us).

Any word on when Steel Curtain will be opening? At the least, is it expected to be by early June? If so I will be visiting the park, and am wondering what crowds can expected to be like on:

A weekday in early June

A Saturday in early June

When I went last year in Sept it was a Sat and the park was quite crowded. Would like to avoid that if possible.