TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Tried going for a little bit yesterday. They had so many people packed in there, walking through the midways i had to shuffle because everyone was packed shoulder to shoulder. I was able to get a quick ride on Xcelerator (1 hour wait) and got the hell outta Dodge. I should of known better when I had to park in the middle of a grass field!

I had a great time at the farm yesterday. For a Saturday, it was surprising not as crowded as I imagined. It’s seems that the park is more busy the days following Christmas than before. Anyways, I still purchased fast lane and it was worth it. The cold weather made for some amazing night rides on Ghostrider, Xcelerator, and Hangtime. Ghostrider is breaking in and becoming aggressive! They’ve started assigning seats on Ghostrider which is pretty great actually as the queue looked to move more quicker as well as dispatch times. Overall, I loved the improved atmosphere this year. Knott’s continues to improve with each year and I definitely recommend fast lane for those going within the next two weeks.

I had a great time at the farm yesterday. For a Saturday, it was surprising not as crowded as I imagined. It’s seems that the park is more busy the days following Christmas than before. Anyways, I still purchased fast lane and it was worth it. The cold weather made for some amazing night rides on Ghostrider, Xcelerator, and Hangtime. Ghostrider is breaking in and becoming aggressive! They’ve started assigning seats on Ghostrider which is pretty great actually as the queue looked to move more quicker as well as dispatch times. Overall, I loved the improved atmosphere this year. Knott’s continues to improve with each year and I definitely recommend fast lane for those going within the next two weeks.

I went today and had a similar experience. Might I also add that there is now a single rider line on GhostRider. There is no signage, but I heard about it on Instagram and asked an operator who ended up directing me up the stairs at the front of the station. Got on the ride in about 5 minutes, and the seat assigner was doing a good job of filling in the gaps with single riders.

The process is still rough around the edges, but I hope they work out the kinks and continue to assign seats (I know some people don't like that, but the train often goes with several empty seats when they don't assign, and they're usually pretty good at taking requests). I'd like to see this process applied to HangTime and Xcelerator as well, where capacity suffers most. I suppose Silver Bullet could use it as well, but even with a few empty seats per train the line moves quite well on that ride.

i went with my brother in law and nephew today. the single rider line is supposedly only in effect on the weekends. makes sense i guess. the parking lot was pretty packed, but the lines on the major rides weren't too bad. i came later and my brother in law and nephew waiting an hour for Ghostrider. later it we waiting 50 minutes. silver bullet was a walk on. xcelerator was about 20-30 minutes, and hangtime roughly 30-40 minutes. i guess most were families doing the family things inside knott's. the parking lot made you think the lines would be enormous, but they weren't.

I went today and had a similar experience. Might I also add that there is now a single rider line on GhostRider. There is no signage, but I heard about it on Instagram and asked an operator who ended up directing me up the stairs at the front of the station. Got on the ride in about 5 minutes, and the seat assigner was doing a good job of filling in the gaps with single riders.

The process is still rough around the edges, but I hope they work out the kinks and continue to assign seats (I know some people don't like that, but the train often goes with several empty seats when they don't assign, and they're usually pretty good at taking requests). I'd like to see this process applied to HangTime and Xcelerator as well, where capacity suffers most. I suppose Silver Bullet could use it as well, but even with a few empty seats per train the line moves quite well on that ride.

I personally love it when they assign seats... unless a coaster is absolutely dead and there's no chance of a wait. It really does wonders to increase efficiency and generally makes the line look less ugly and disgusting. I've always hated disorganized, long lines for rows.

My theory is that the GP will generally only prioritize the front. If its not the front, they generally don't care. So when everyone wants the front, nobody really gets a benefit from the choice, because it just means that they'll have to selectively wait a very long time to ride it if they ever can. I think that leaving it up to chance keeps the line moving, and occasionally you get the front. Personally I don't care about the front, I care about the back.

Short of assigning seats, I think that only letting in the size of the train into the row lines does the same trick. And that way, if you prefer the back to a middle seat, you can make that selection as well. Size of train row lines makes it easier for guests and the ride ops to see the empty seats and act on them. It also makes the load/unload faster as people are circulating around the queue line more and they'll be more aware of what's going on. If they're moving two inches every three minutes, they get very lethargic and disengaged. Plus, as I was saying it just looks ugly.

Single rider lines are great, but they're not as needed if you have a fantastic staff and a good system set up where they can group well and count well. But even then, they can still help.

^ Even with super efficient grouping of the Universal and Disney parks, I still welcome single rider lines since it offers a speedy alternative to the standby wait.

I mean I obviously love single rider lines -- I'll even use it if I'm going with somebody to cut down our wait time -- but from a park's perspective, there just really aren't that many people that go to parks by themselves so it has very limited value. If more people went to parks by themselves (and parks found out ways to make a ton of money off of them) I'm sure that parks would make sure to add them to every ride.

As a guy with a ton of experience with going to parks by myself -- my suggestion is to at least let the ride ops know that you're a single rider when you see staff past the greeter, and ask them politely if there's anything that they can do. Very often, rides won't advertise single rider lines, but there is something they can do to zoom you past some of the line and let you stand in a special line to be on call for when they need you. I've noticed that for Flight of Passage, Dinosaur, and a few other Disney rides. Universal seems to have single rider lines for most of their rides that get waits. And with proper planning you can avoid lines at most SF or other regional park as is. Cedar Fair parks sometimes have options for single riders as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello TPR Forum Members!

Knott's Berry Farm has contacted us about needing riders for an upcoming video shoot at the park! Here are the details below. There are a limited numbers of spots open. Please contact the park at the email address below and we hope you make it in time to be added to the list!

Details:

Knott’s Berry Farm Roller Coaster shoot

Wednesday, January 23rd

Estimated Check In: 9am

Estimated End Time: 4pm

Requirements: At least 48 inches in height, riders MUST keep hands down throughout ride.

Attire: Family friendly; no visible logos, text, etc on any shirts or other articles of clothing.

Volunteers can email PR@Knotts.com and we'll send them more information on Monday.

All we ask is that the riders keep their hands down throughout their ride and be able to ride any roller coaster at Knott’s possibly several times in a row. In exchange, we can offer each rider a pair of tickets to come back to Knott’s on a later day.

Edited by robbalvey

Perhaps because, if well maintained and/or have good trains, they're solid rides that deliver 6 inversions, at a low price.

I guess I need to ride more Boomerangs then. The only standard Boomerang I've ridden is the one at Six Flags St. Louis and it sucks, so my opinion on Boomerangs is low in that sense. I guess with new trains it's a good bargain

Perhaps because, if well maintained and/or have good trains, they're solid rides that deliver 6 inversions, at a low price.

I guess I need to ride more Boomerangs then. The only standard Boomerang I've ridden is the one at Six Flags St. Louis and it sucks, so my opinion on Boomerangs is low in that sense. I guess with new trains it's a good bargain

Yeah. I agree that the bad ones can be bad, but the good ones are pretty good. If you end up in Wildwood don't miss Morey's. Despite the old (original?) trains, it rides better than any old-school Vekoma should. Same goes for their SLC.

I agree with you on Nor'Easter, but Sea Serpent sucks just as hard as all the rest.

Boomerangs aren't worth it. Even if you manage to find one that isn't completely terrible, it's still time you could have spent riding something good. I could have ridden Boomerang at WCB 2016, they had ERT on it, but I spent ERT on Xcellerator instead. Zero regrets.

I basically see boomerangs as the coaster version of a flatride. They're the same everywhere and low capacity, but they fit almost anywhere and are cheap for the parks. They're not the favorite of guests, but for smaller parks on a budget they can make some guests happy and give them something to do when the park doesn't have the money and/or space for something better.

I think that they're best for beachside parks, carnival style parks, or family arcade style parks. I would just think that in the year 2018, a big time park that's charging a lot for admission would offer something a little more for guests.

I agree with you on Nor'Easter, but Sea Serpent sucks just as hard as all the rest.

Boomerangs aren't worth it. Even if you manage to find one that isn't completely terrible, it's still time you could have spent riding something good. I could have ridden Boomerang at WCB 2016, they had ERT on it, but I spent ERT on Xcellerator instead. Zero regrets.

They are a fantastic investment for a park looking for big thrills (inversions, backwards) in a compact area for a cheap price.

When Boomerangs work, they're great. And the gp love them,

and in small parks they're practically essential, eventually.

"And now, back to the Knott's Berry Farm Thread..."