Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1257 - World's Tallest Water Coaster coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 15 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:19 pm

Haven't been to GAm in a couple seasons and I'm looking forward to this coaster that's adding to the park's line up. Just hoping downtime is kept at a reasonable level.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby 9Armgeddon4 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:57 pm

Good news HITP will be back in 2019. There’s a post on SFGAmWorld that confirms this.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:20 am

I feel like Holiday in the Park probably exceeded their expectations. Obviously I have no way of knowing what their expectations were but of all the cold weather parks it seems like the wait times and crowd levels at Great America were WELL above the other parks the vast majority of the time and I don't know how it would have been possible for them to project that (because it's insane).

I mean, the place looked like this on a 19 degree night and I lost count of how many times Raging Bull posted wait times in excess of an hour on hilariously frigid nights.

In my non-professional opinion, that event isn't going anywhere ever.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby jlp94 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:51 am

^ Having gone to Holiday In The Park many times, I can tell you right now one of the main reasons rides like Raging Bull have such a long wait is because they ran one train on it the whole HITP season. The only coasters running more than 1 train were actually Joker and Dark Knight, so hopefully they learn from that this coming November/December

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:56 am

Even so, you have to actually get enough people in the park to form a line of that length, so hundreds of Chicagoans were unfazed by winter (which is completely unsurprising if you've ever met a Chicagoan--they talk about snow like Texans talk about secession).

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby RaceBoarder » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:16 am

jlp94 wrote:^ Having gone to Holiday In The Park many times, I can tell you right now one of the main reasons rides like Raging Bull have such a long wait is because they ran one train on it the whole HITP season. The only coasters running more than 1 train were actually Joker and Dark Knight, so hopefully they learn from that this coming November/December

Umm, they ran Bull with multiple trains during a good chunk of HitP, up to and including 12/30... Same thing with X-Flight.... And Batman... But I'm sure you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night :lmao:

The event was tremendously well attended. Until the public quits showing up on "good weather" days, this event isn't going anywhere. Yes, the park will close due to "weather" (low attendance) several times each HitP season... But the park will make $TEXAS on days where it's 30*F and sunny....

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby jlp94 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:25 am

RaceBoarder wrote:
jlp94 wrote:^ Having gone to Holiday In The Park many times, I can tell you right now one of the main reasons rides like Raging Bull have such a long wait is because they ran one train on it the whole HITP season. The only coasters running more than 1 train were actually Joker and Dark Knight, so hopefully they learn from that this coming November/December

Umm, they ran Bull with multiple trains during a good chunk of HitP, up to and including 12/30... Same thing with X-Flight.... And Batman... But I'm sure you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night :lmao:

The event was tremendously well attended. Until the public quits showing up on "good weather" days, this event isn't going anywhere. Yes, the park will close due to "weather" (low attendance) several times each HitP season... But the park will make $TEXAS on days where it's 30*F and sunny....

That's good to hear. Maybe they did run it with multiple trains for the last half of the season, but I don't remember it being that way.

Postby coasterbill » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:53 am

Six Flags New England and Six Flags America run one train on everything and the lines rarely exceed 5 minutes (except for of course on Thunderbolt where the wait time is 25 minutes all day every day regardless of season of crowd size). Those events are obviously considered to be successful.

Every northern park pulls trains off of most of their coasters for Holiday in the Park (Great Adventure always runs one train on Superman and Lantern) and on most days they're all still between 0-5 minute waits.

Great America is killing it.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby _FuryBull_330_ » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:00 pm

The construction of Maxx Force has started to go vertical, the supports and the track will most likely go up fast. Also the ride is confirmed to have two trains with 16 seats per train.
download (9).jpeg
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go :( .

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby bluestreak » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:36 pm

The park posted a couple pictures of vertical construction on their Instagram story.
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!