TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Yeah, I'm not saying that anyone's wrong for sharing their preferences but I feel like people are pretty set in their ways so they're generally not changing their minds especially since a lot of it has to do with budget (which is usually pretty fixed) and individual preferences when visiting a park (which are even more fixed).

For example: for us, we make good money (especially Brit) but we're saving for a house and a wedding (at the same time, yay) and the only reason we travel as much as we do is because whenever we make a payment towards the wedding we open a new credit card, charge exactly what we need to hit the bonus and in most cases throw it in a drawer (except for our few workhorse cards) that we use for everyday stuff. We almost never pay for flights or hotels.

Could we afford to stay at Breakers? Absolutely, but at this point in our lives I'd rather have Chase or Barclays pay for my room and throw the money I would have spent on Breakers into a high interest savings account for the house so Brit never feels the need to have the "Hey, maybe we should start acting like adults and stop traveling every month and riding roller coasters like a bunch of 8 year olds" conversation because I mean... if we were actually paying for this stuff she'd be right.

I get the Breakers argument though. The price point is reasonable for the amazing location. For some people it makes sense and for others (like us) it doesn't (right now... in a few years then I'll change my tune).

I'd also factor in how often one goes to the park.

I do that with my home park (SFFT), I'll use flash pass as example instead of Hotel, since it's an afternoon drive so we don't stay overnight ever). I NEVER buy flash pass there, because I go often enough that if a line is too long, we either skip something to ride next time, or only ride it once. Knowing that we'll have plenty of opportunities to come back.

but that's not true of folks who only go to the park once every 5 years, or have never been before. I totally get why someone would want to purchase Flash pass if it's their rare time at the park.

same way I feel about staying onsite.

so yeah, it might not be coming across that way, but I'm agreeing with southpuddle, bill, and others.

as to Breaker's "nightlife" - they have a bar (Surf Bar, yes separate from TGI Fridays), that serves until 2am (and serves to both the firepits and the hot tubs outside), and they have been doing Neon Party on the beach (at least they were when I was there this summer) with tons of activities on the beach until ~11pm.

I felt no need to leave the peninsula to party when I was there (heck, had a hard time staying up to hang in the bar after full days in the park anyways). Not sure CP feels a need to add any further "nightlife" just due to some folks experiencing like I do?

IMG_5469.thumb.JPG.84a1bc9fc29dc99d3055f14970a5a626.JPG

IMG_5494.thumb.JPG.a98fc603aba271021a0c8ca15a6cce20.JPG

As to Breaker's "nightlife" - they have a bar (Surf Bar, yes separate from TGI Fridays), that serves until 2am (and serves to both the firepits and the hot tubs outside)

Call me old, but I can roll with that. Actually it sounds f*cking perfect after walking around in the sun all day.

As to Breaker's "nightlife" - they have a bar (Surf Bar, yes separate from TGI Fridays), that serves until 2am (and serves to both the firepits and the hot tubs outside)

Call me old, but I can roll with that. Actually it sounds f*cking perfect after walking around in the sun all day.

yep. . LOL. that's what Bill (Nrthwnd) and I did a couple of years ago.

and this past visit (as part of TPR USA trip), James and I were in hot tub when waitress asked us if we wanted anything, and when I asked, she confirmed for me that drinks would come from Surf bar, and NOT from TGI Fridays

IMG_1781.thumb.JPG.a24efafaa064d2aa69b00ca7d7583cca.JPG

sitting in Rotunda in early afternoon (waiting to meet up with Liz (TBpony).

got my drink at Surf Bar, and sat on sofa just outside bar area.

IMG_1783.thumb.JPG.8378faaa425b27926c18f67a0e0b7a41.JPG

A lot of the members here are poor college kids whose main focus is getting the cheapest room possible. I get that, I was that kid once. But once I grew up and started making some decent money, I decided to stay at Breakers, and have never looked back. It really completes the Cedar Point experience for me.

I totally agree that there's no one right or wrong way to do it. It comes down to preference. I was just pointing out that my way makes a lot of sense too. And I'm actually a relatively affluent young professional, but I'm just cheap on travel because I do it so much. I fly about 10-15 times a year -- not including work trips. If I was staying at fancy hotels every single time I would go broke. When I do coaster road/flight trips, my main focus is production -- getting in and out efficiently and getting a ton of rides in cheaply.

I think that a lot of people who splurge and treat themselves when they travel are people who only travel a few times a year. Not saying that any of you are like that -- this is a board for people who go to a ton of parks across the country afterall -- or that there's anything wrong with traveling less but treating yourself when you do. Just personal preferences.

But I do appreciate people who stay on site, and I hope that more people do. I'd like to see CP become a park that has an extensive resort that has a lot of options. As I was saying before, if the grounds became more intricate and elaborate its something I could see myself spending the extra money to do.

I've been to Cedar Point a bunch of times and normally stay off site but we did hotel breakers the last time and it was really a great time even with the higher price. I don't know if I would do it every time but if the price is somewhat reasonable I would. It was awesome to be able to go to the park, water park and beach all by walking a few minutes.

We grabbed a few drinks at the one bar just to get some of the Steel Vengeance cups but for the most part we just stocked up the fridge with liquor/beer so we could fill our cooler and take it to the beach and relax and just keep refilling our cups.

Screenshot_20190118-120910.thumb.jpg.be02721546b91fffbbcb00014ef61c13.jpg

I've been to Cedar Point a bunch of times and normally stay off site but we did hotel breakers the last time and it was really a great time even with the higher price. I don't know if I would do it every time but if the price is somewhat reasonable I would. It was awesome to be able to go to the park, water park and beach all by walking a few minutes.

We grabbed a few drinks at the one bar just to get some of the Steel Vengeance cups but for the most part we just stocked up the fridge with liquor/beer so we could fill our cooler and take it to the beach and relax and just keep refilling our cups.

One difference for me is that I live in Tampa, and lived in Miami before, so I've been surrounded by gorgeous beaches with warm water, white sand, and a blue ocean. I have no desire to go to a body of sand that sits on an ice cold body of water up north when I'm on a trip and the clock is running. But I did the northeast thing for years, and I used to get excited about going to the freezing cold beaches in Boston so I can understand where you're coming from. If going to a beach was an appeal for me, I could see a stronger appeal for Breakers. I've pretty much lived within a mile from a beach for years, even when I was living in Boston (yes, Southie has several beaches, and Southie is in Boston). Not that I would ever go to Carson Beach or Castle Island now that I go to Florida beaches.

One difference for me is that I live in Tampa, and lived in Miami before, so I've been surrounded by gorgeous beaches with warm water, white sand, and a blue ocean. I have no desire to go to a body of sand that sits on an ice cold body of water up north when I'm on a trip and the clock is running. But I did the northeast thing for years, and I used to get excited about going to the freezing cold beaches in Boston so I can understand where you're coming from. If going to a beach was an appeal for me, I could see a stronger appeal for Breakers. I've pretty much lived within a mile from a beach for years, even when I was living in Boston (yes, Southie has several beaches, and Southie is in Boston). Not that I would ever go to Carson Beach or Castle Island now that I go to Florida beaches.

That's definitely understandable, I didn't go in the water but it was nice to just relax for an hour or so in the middle of the day and have some drinks at the beach there. Especially cause it was really hot and I was tired of walking around the park in the heat.

Reading nightlife and Sandusky in the same sentence is hilarious.

If you want to party, just go to Put In Bay or time your visit with Colossalcon and party at Kalahari with the best of the best anime folks or bring a deep enough crew to have your own room parties at your hotel.

I know there's a good deals thread around here somewhere, but since frugality and stuff is the topic of the day and this is a highly frequented thread, I thought I'd throw this out. Just saw it yesterday. Sounds like a good deal on flights if you travel in pairs. Southwest has what seems to be a good credit card deal to get a companion pass for the rest of 2019 without having to do much.

https://points.theinventory.com/southwest-just-launched-one-of-the-best-credit-card-bon-1831615926?ks=curation Maybe someone with more experience in this area could look at it and see how legit it sounds...

Hey all. I'm sure that this question has been asked a boatload of times, but I'm sure it'll be a little tough to find. I plan on going, FINALLY, in May. I'd rather not buy a Flashpass. What are the best days to go, as far as lines go? I'm flexible for weekdays and weekends. Somebody tell me that Fridays in May are good. Oh, I'm staying 2 days before going to King's Island.

Crowds are pretty light in May, aside from opening day. I'm usually there Mondays or Tuesdays and it's pretty chill. The weekends predictably will see more people, but it's usually not too bad. Look at the calendar and check their hours because in May the weekdays usually close at 8pm, I think the weekend is a little later. I have had some great days riding in May, e.g. riding Millennium Force 15 times in a row to close out the night.

Two things to keep in mind:

1) Even though the calendar says it's spring, pack some warm clothes. The weather off of the lake is not always the warmest in May. The lake is still cold at that time and if there is wind coming off of it, you're definitely going to know it.

2) Staffing is notoriously bad in May. Not all of the food places will be open, and sadly some of the rides. If you are going for 2 days that will lessen the chance of you missing out on a marquee ride, but be prepared for the possibility.

Thanks for this info. The comment about some rides not being open worries me. Almost tempted to shoot for the weekend only in May (KI on Friday and CP on Sat & Sun), and deal with the lines, or go in June. Guessing the weather is better, and more rides staffed in June.

None of the big attractions will be closed due to staffing. Rides that will possibly be closed are the car rides, windseeker (as if it would be open anyways), skyride (yes I know this is a big loss for some, including myself ), and maybe like the ferris wheel. All coasters and high thrill rides will be staffed and open if weather and maintenance permits.

Bluestreak is correct, the big rides will be staffed, the smaller rides have the chance of being down due to staffing. The big rides will only be down due to mechanical or weather related issues. I didn't know if you were flexible with your schedule, but if you can take your trip in early to mid June you'll avoid a lot of the staffing issues as most colleges are done by then. (And the weather should be markedly better!)

Thanks for this info. The comment about some rides not being open worries me. Almost tempted to shoot for the weekend only in May (KI on Friday and CP on Sat & Sun), and deal with the lines, or go in June. Guessing the weather is better, and more rides staffed in June.

I was there this past June 10-13 and the first day I was at the park, it barely reached 65 degrees in the afternoon (was mid-40s when I arrived at the park that morning). The night before I had to go all over Sandusky to find a sweatshirt as I didn't pack for cooler weather...lol. The next 2 days were just warm enough for shorts/t-shirts however. It's just a crap shoot really still that time of year. The park also wasn't too busy either. Most rides were walk-on or a 2-3 train wait the 3 days I was at the park. I literally walked on Raptor (multiple times), Gemini, Magnum, CRMR, and some others. Only exceptions were Steel Vengeance (45-55 min during early entry/evening) and Millennium Force (30-45 min wait when I rode it each time). I walked on TTD once and waited 10 minutes another as I just happened to be walking by when it opened up. I kept getting Maverick during early entry so most of those rides were only 2-3 train waits at most (one was 15 min in the evening).

One additional perk I’d like to see Hotel Breakers is to add a free fast lane plus included with the room just for staying there just a thought.

That would suck for everyone if it happened. The FL+ lines at CP are already jam packed without including every guest staying on the Peninsula. It's already been said that Breakers is a great value considering all of the factors and it offers a ton of conveniences. That, and you're going to take away FL+ sales considering at least two factors. 1) You'll get less revenue from the guests who were going to stay at the hotel and also buy the FL+ passes, but now they get it for free. 2) You're going to jam even more people into the FL+ lines, which will make it less appealing and less of a value for everyone else who purchased it.

I guess it just really irritates me to read comments like this, because I just feel like where do you draw the line? I think Hyatt hotels should give me a free lunch and free dinner to go along with the already provided good quality breakfast. After that, I think Hyatt should give me a free car to drive around during my stay. After that, I think Hyatt should give me a free massage with a happy ending.

Eventually, you have to stop wanting more for your money and realize that in order for awesome places like Cedar Point and Breakers to keep staying awesome they have to have a hefty profit margin to go along with it. Maybe I'm just being too reasonable with my concept of the business/consumer relationship...

I'd like to see CP become a park that has an extensive resort that has a lot of options. As I was saying before, if the grounds became more intricate and elaborate its something I could see myself spending the extra money to do.

Dude. It's never ever going to be Las Vegas. Breakers is located in between a beach and a world renowned amusement park. No, it doesn't have Broadway shows, but it has quite a few things to offer. It even included a hint of night life that you assumed it lacked.

I really hope you've stayed there before to back up your comments with some experience. I say that not to be a smartass, but I genuinely don't know if you've stayed at Breakers. If you haven't stayed there, maybe you should. I think you'd be surprised and then you'd actually have some experience for comparison. If you have stayed there within the last couple of years, I'm not sure what wasn't up to your standards.

I think realistic expectations are long gone. If everyone got what they wished for out of Hotel Breakers, just as an example, they would be outraged at the cost. You wouldn't hear the end of it.

I have to drive an hour to a park like SFSTL and I'm still thankful for it. And then I read posts like these...

They haven’t managed to have all of the coasters and major rides ready for the season on time since the year Gatekeeper opened. If you want to ride all of the coasters (see: Wicked Twister) and all of the major thrill rides (see: Maxair) then wait until at least Memorial Day.

Prozach, you’re right on with the freebee Fastlanes - I think they already give too many away. Certain points in the year, such as during season pass renewals, Fastlane lines are jam packed with guests who got theirs for free. I’d be pretty pissed off if I payed $150 for my Fastlane only to find out that I’m still waiting in hour long lines full of other guests who didn’t pay a penny for theirs.

^ Sundays in May are also my go-to, just keep in mind, as was said earlier, not every single ride may be up and running. But your wait times will be very manageable. Also, breakdowns seem to be more common in the beginning of the season but that's just anecdotal; I don't have evidence of that as I don't go much in the summer to compare and no statistics like Coasterbill always likes to whip out... :-P

Hey all. I'm sure that this question has been asked a boatload of times, but I'm sure it'll be a little tough to find. I plan on going, FINALLY, in May. I'd rather not buy a Flashpass. What are the best days to go, as far as lines go? I'm flexible for weekdays and weekends. Somebody tell me that Fridays in May are good. Oh, I'm staying 2 days before going to King's Island.

I'm a similar distance from Cedar Point as you are (just in the other direction), so I'd suggest early June. I've had good luck then with crowds. You'll be able to do everything unless something breaks, and Fast Lane won't be strictly necessary (though it is always nice to have at Cedar Point). Even if you don't want to spend the money, have the money for Fast Lane anyway. You don't want to travel hundreds of miles just to stand in lines all day. Best case scenario, Fast Lane money becomes beer money! (or souvenir money or whatever you like to do).

I appreciate everyone a ton for these recommendations. I'm between going a Sunday and Monday in May, or a couple of days in June; I'm leaning heavy on early June. I want all 18 credits, but want to use the second day to enjoy the rest of the park to include re-rides. I'll definitely buy the flashpass if I need to, but will be more than happy to save those bucks.

How does this sound: CP on Sunday and Monday. KI on Tuesday?

I appreciate everyone a ton for these recommendations. I'm between going a Sunday and Monday in May, or a couple of days in June; I'm leaning heavy on early June. I want all 18 credits, but want to use the second day to enjoy the rest of the park to include re-rides. I'll definitely buy the flashpass if I need to, but will be more than happy to save those bucks.

How does this sound: CP on Sunday and Monday. KI on Tuesday?

18? I hope you’re talking about Pipe Scream being the 18th because if you think you’re riding both tracks of Gemini in May then good luck with that.

... okay, okay in all seriousness it could happen (maybe) but don’t go in expecting it and make sure if you see it racing on Sunday you ride it immediately because it’ll never happen on a weekday that time of year.

I’m glad you’re leaning towards June. Go in June. May is a huge crapshoot at Cedar Point if getting on every single coaster is a priority (especially if you also need them to race Gemini).