Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 984: Boogie Board Racer & Grand Carnivale announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby operative_me » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:45 pm

Cool, thanks for the response. I typically plan my trips for Mon-Wed and hope for smaller crowds, but I know it's not a guarantee. I just don't want to drive down from Cleveland and it's like a CP Halloweekends Saturday.

As for the weather, can't control that, I just hope for the best.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:53 pm

jarmor wrote:With the demographic of the crowd I saw, I don't know if even opening up some more coasters would even help since I saw more families with kids who weren't tall enough for some of them (the coasters).

How are the coaster lines at the parks that have them open vs the flat ride lines?

While generally the demographics of these events do shift towards families, coasters are still popular. Family ride lines are disproportionately high but Afterburn was still pulling hour waits daily with 2 trains and that tells you all you need to know. Around the country, Great Adventure's coasters are often station wait during Christmas but on busy days they can get a line. Nitro actually hit 100 minutes on closing weekend of Holiday in the Park this year. Great America often had decent waits too. Raging Bull was pulling crazy waits quite often.

As far as Carowinds goes, I feel like opening a family coaster like Goldrusher would be a really obvious move for them. It's a Cedar Fair park so it has a ridiculous height requirement but it's still a family ride with good capacity (compared to a flat ride). As an added bonus it has a low temperature limit.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby bgtlover » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:13 pm

operative_me wrote:Cool, thanks for the response. I typically plan my trips for Mon-Wed and hope for smaller crowds, but I know it's not a guarantee. I just don't want to drive down from Cleveland and it's like a CP Halloweekends Saturday.

As for the weather, can't control that, I just hope for the best.

Oh it won't be anything like CP crowds. Copperhead Strike will likely have the longest line of the day (since it's new). I would just suggest getting there before the park opens (to park and get in line to get in) in order to get a head start on some of the rides.
Coaster Count: 130
Top 10:

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby CaptainUnknown » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:14 am

CoasterAuditor wrote:giant ornaments, trees, wreathes I mean doesn't really look great next to things themed to death and horror :lol:

I'd just go around the park singing "What's This" from Nightmare Before Christmas.
tenor.gif
Take a Journey Into The Unknown Latest Update: Carowinds

Parks: 23
Coasters: 130 (24 wood/106 steel)

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby bluestreak » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:44 pm

Just booked my trip for opening weekend! It'll be my 4th or 5th time at the park but my friends first time. Can't wait!

Edit: Also buying fastlane for Saturday (obviously... New coaster + opening day = omfg it's crowded). Price won't deter us but for planning purposes what should I expect the price to be? I'm thinking $80-$90 for FL+?
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:29 pm

Your guess is pretty close to what I would think it would be, based on being a regular Cedar Fair FL+ consumer.

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby WolfBobs » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:04 am

bluestreak wrote:Just booked my trip for opening weekend! It'll be my 4th or 5th time at the park but my friends first time. Can't wait!

Edit: Also buying fastlane for Saturday (obviously... New coaster + opening day = omfg it's crowded). Price won't deter us but for planning purposes what should I expect the price to be? I'm thinking $80-$90 for FL+?

Since your trip is booked you can always buy the Fastlane online and save yourself time and usually a little bit of money.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby hoppedup » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:26 am

It seems that Cedar Fair parks' FL+ usually has the best, if not all, coasters on the list. Would it be a safe assumption that Copperhead Strike will be on FL+?

I just noticed a 'Scheduled Ride Closures' option under the Explore tab on the Carowinds website. There are currently none listed, but I don't remember seeing that option before.
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby WolfBobs » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:40 am

^Yes, the parks that have the FL+ option usually keep the newest attractions on that. As well as some of the lower capacity attractions (Electro-spin at Carowinds is a FL+ ride).

For example, CP has their 3 newest from the ground up coasters on FL+ as of 2018. Gatekeeper, Valravn and Steel Vengeance.

You can plan on Copperhead Strike to be on FL+ as well as Fury 325 staying on there for 2019.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:13 am

hoppedup wrote:It seems that Cedar Fair parks' FL+ usually has the best, if not all, coasters on the list. Would it be a safe assumption that Copperhead Strike will be on FL+?

I just noticed a 'Scheduled Ride Closures' option under the Explore tab on the Carowinds website. There are currently none listed, but I don't remember seeing that option before.

The only way Copperhead would be off would be if for some reason it was only at one train operations early on in the season.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!